Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Iowa
THOR #12078
110 shore power and generator

Is there a proper procedure going from shore power to firing up the generator? Must I unplug first before starting the generator?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Nope. There is an automatic switch that will engage the generator once it kicks its A/C on--disconnecting the coach from the A/C plug at the same time. (The generator has priority over the wall plug.)

I've run the genny before while plugged in without issue.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
nope

your ATS, automatic transfer switch, handles that for you
it will default to the Generator whenever it is cranking/running
and fail back over to the Shore Power, if you are still plugged in, when the Generator stops

the ATS is what allows you to do anything, power wise, without fear of 'overlapping' of power sources, since it's job is to switch to only one.

You could have your RV engine running, the generator running, and be plugged into shore power, all at the same time - no problem. Your ATS would use your Generator's power primarily, the Shore Power secondarily, and the Alternator, otherwise.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Jamie and I apparently are in the 'nope' circle : )
Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The only thing I do when leaving a campsite is start the generator while plugged in that way if I am running the air conditioning and anything else it seems to be easier on the generator. Same when when plugging in leave the generator running until I am on shore power. Probably no real science behind it but I figure if everything is going already easier for the system to switch power sources then it is to turn everything off and then back on so everything starts the same time putting full load on whatever power source you are using
Old 10-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
The only thing I do when leaving a campsite is start the generator while plugged in that way if I am running the air conditioning and anything else it seems to be easier on the generator. Same when when plugging in leave the generator running until I am on shore power. Probably no real science behind it but I figure if everything is going already easier for the system to switch power sources then it is to turn everything off and then back on so everything starts the same time putting full load on whatever power source you are using
That's actually the opposite of what you should be doing. Turn off all loads before having the ATS switch sources to prevent excessive arcing on the contacts. When the ATS switches everything running will be unpowered for a split second anyway as the switch is break-before-make so any loads already running will all try to start again at the same time anyway (except for the Air Conditioner compressor, which has to time out before it restarts).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Sorry about the slow response/question but I just stumbled unto this thread and have a question.
This is the background: you have settled into your full hookup site for the night and enabled AGS. Campground loses power and eventually AGS powers up generator. Does the ATS block or prevent backfeed into the grid
Old 05-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's actually the opposite of what you should be doing. Turn off all loads before having the ATS switch sources to prevent excessive arcing on the contacts. When the ATS switches everything running will be unpowered for a split second anyway as the switch is break-before-make so any loads already running will all try to start again at the same time anyway (except for the Air Conditioner compressor, which has to time out before it restarts).
The ATS is designed to work under load. There is a time delay built in to be sure one contact opens before the other closes. Generator will be up to speed before it comes on line. If power goes off in the middle of the night or when you are not there, The transfer happens all by it's self.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdean View Post
Sorry about the slow response/question but I just stumbled unto this thread and have a question.
This is the background: you have settled into your full hookup site for the night and enabled AGS. Campground loses power and eventually AGS powers up generator. Does the ATS block or prevent backfeed into the grid

YES, Gen will not back feed the shore power. There is not connection to allow that to happen. It would take a catastrophic frailer for that to happen and gen breaker would surely trip if it did.