Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #5042
2016 Thor Ace

Hi my name is Walt and I’m try to find others with the 29.3 model and see if there has been any issues for anyone else and front spring busching irregular wear and how some other handled the similar problems. Under engineered weight issues and road stability items we’ve already put the steering stabilizer and anti sway on and can’t believe the mileage is at 5300. Thanks in advance but please help if u can....

Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you get an alignment? First thing you should have done is get an alignment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

THOR #5042
The bushings had to be replaced first then the alignment and thirdly set the steering stabilizer but dismayed at low mileage and the work it is requiring to hopefully get it right.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
9000 miles so far on our 2016 Ace 29.3 without any major issues so far. We have NOT added SafeTPlus etc, no Five Star Tuning, no CHF. I haven't aligned it. Usually I can drive it on the interstate with one hand steering. Of course, when a big rig passes etc. it causes some tail wag etc. but nothing I have not been able to handle.

There is a learning curve to drive one of these. They are not like our family automobiles and pickup trucks.

I seldom exceed 65 mph and we tow a Chevy Spark.

We have experienced a little difficulty recently with the slide not wanting to retract, usually taking 4 to 6 tries to get it in. I am going to try to resync the slide to see if it helps. There is an override in the basement you can do if you have trouble with the slide.

One issue that recently came up was the black tank seemed to fill very quickly, and I have wondered if the bathroom sink was not shut completely off. If you leave the water pump on when you are traveling over the road and you did not completely shut off the water, you could very well fill the tank quickly so I try to make sure the pump is shut off when traveling.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have 12000 on my 2017 29.3 and am kind of like Bob M, I have added nothing to the steering. I drive the roads in the Ozarks, that will give you a great learning curve as how these things handle. It is important to grease all of the steering zerks (9) often.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

THOR #5042
I have done upgrades to steering stabilizer and rear anti sway and WOW what a difference also on the slide after a careful inspection of the undercarriage I found nine of twenty screws that attach outer angle iron rusted broke off and not holding any retention and immediately redrilled and installed new screws to hold it together. If you have any questions reply and illyget back to you
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #7

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Hi Walt!
Welcome to the forum! We have a 2017 and have 26K miles on it now. Unlike Bob, the front end on our uint has been kind of a problem that we have not had anyone (dealer/s) been able to help until recently. Had the front aligned, did the CHF and installed a Safe-t-Plus shock. All was somewhat fine except the steering wheel wasn't centered, which was driving me crazy! The drivers side would bang on rough roads too. I finely found a Ford dealer that works on heavy chassis and had them check everything. What they found was the king pin on the drivers side shot causing the banging noise. Replaced both king pins and did a alignment. Centered (as best they could) steering wheel. Now to drives really nice! No pushing from 18 wheelers. I have also installed some vortex generators to the trailing edge of the coach (Airtabs) and now even in cross winds, I'm not fighting it down the road. BTW, the kingpin work was under warranty.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

THOR #5042
Appreciate the reply but have to ask what is a Cbd and the safety shock are the independent wheel shocks right ? Also what are those generators you are referring to ? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
CHF = Cheap Handling Fix, It is discussed in detail in this thread for the F53 Chassis on the IRV2 forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

The safe T Plus is a steering stabilizer for your front suspension. Here is a link to their site

Safe T Plus Steering Control / RV & Truck Steering Stabilizer
Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
Vortex generators are those little tabs you see on the top of the wings on airplanes. They are used to direct airflow. A spoiler on the trunk of a car could be called a vortex generator as per se.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #11

Model: 29.2 ACE
State: California
THOR #11409
Hello I have a 2012 29.2 on F53 chassis. I had a lot of stability issues and white knuckle driving.
I read a post on a site about the stability bars under the rv and how there are 2 holes Currently the mfg uses the end hole. So I un-bolted the connection and move them to the rear hole. You need to do both sides and may need a jack to lift them.
This took care of many problems. See attached picture
I have done this to both the front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_184701.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	10895  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I have 12000 on my 2017 29.3 and am kind of like Bob M, I have added nothing to the steering. I drive the roads in the Ozarks, that will give you a great learning curve as how these things handle. It is important to grease all of the steering zerks (9) often.

Me too. I have a 29 ft class A on the ubiquitous Ford chassis. I added the Roadmaster steering stabilizer to help in emergencies but have done nothing else (well, I had it aligned) and I think it drives fine. Which is not to say it might not be even better with the CHF, just that I’m not motivated to try it yet.