Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Arizona
THOR #10176
2018 Citation steps

Am I able to stop my steps from extending? I’ve tried the step button both up then down but the steps still extend when the door is opened.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
As a safety factor the steps extend when the door is opened. (People have fallen out of the RV when the door switch has failed)
With ignition off the steps will remain open when the door is closed (normal switch position). The other position allows the steps to follow the door, retract when closed or open when the door opens.
I use this last function when parked where the steps could be vulnerable or when secured for the night and I want the steps retracted.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
As stated is a safety feature to insure they are extended when door is open. You would need to fool the safety switch - typically magnetic at the screen door - to keep steps from extending.

Only had once or twice parked along a curb where I didn't t want them to extend.... But not enough to do something about it yet.

Last RV a problem with the switch would randomly extend steps while driving.... Quickly found plug underneath steps to disconnect until we got home and replaced switch.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #4

THOR #10176
Must be a switch issue

As I mentioned earlier, the steps continue to extend and retract when the door is open then close no matter what position the steps switch is in. I checked the wires underneath. I see one wire with an end u would find on a car antenna (female plug) but no male connection hanging around? Maybe that could be the issue. Still under warranty so I'll let the dealer figure it out. I'll let u know what it turns out to be.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadas View Post
As I mentioned earlier, the steps continue to extend and retract when the door is open then close no matter what position the steps switch is in. I checked the wires underneath. I see one wire with an end u would find on a car antenna (female plug) but no male connection hanging around? Maybe that could be the issue. Still under warranty so I'll let the dealer figure it out. I'll let u know what it turns out to be.
Ok... You only mentioned extending in the previous post.
In one position, the steps should retract when door is closed. In other position, steps should only retract when ignition is on and door is closed....

If it is always retracting with ignition off, then something is wrong... Could be a simple disconnected wire. Let us know what they find.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #6

THOR #10176
Tricked stairs with a magnet.

Steps worked as it should. I needed it to stay in because I have a platform I use to walk out of my house into my motor home. Proper operation would extend the stairs hitting the platform. So what I did was to remove the magnet on the door and tape it directly to where it would contact the door frame. So I can now open and close the door without the stairs extending. When I go on a trip, I just have to screw the magnet back on to the door. There still may be a problem with the switch because the door doesn't stay out no matter what the position of the switch is in.