Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
Absolutely correct that I can't speak to every RV, combined weight or environment performance which is precisely why Ford left so much potential untapped, and also a primary reason 5-Star only optimized for 87 octane fuel and not premium...
I suspect 5-Star could provide specific feedback to anyone cared to inquire about their specific RV and usage.
If you're happy with yours the way it is, congratulations!
You can ask 5-Star for a performance tune that is optimized for premium.

When I bought the 5-Star tunes for my F-350 (before our Axis) it came with 2 tunes. I elected to have a power tune for towing and an economy tune for when I wasn't.

I ended up just leaving the power tune on--the truck was just too much fun to drive LOL.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I'm in my fourth year with the new ECU programming from 5 Star. Well worth the cost. The big change, for the five speed transmission, was the shift philosophy that reduces the rapid down shift out of OD on minor incline into third gear and 4000 RPM. Regarding fuel mileage and general performance increase I haven't noticed either. If the mileage did improved I'm probably killing it with the better acceleration and throttle response.

What I don't know is how effective the change is for the V10 with a 6 speed transmission so if you chassis is 2016 and newer not sure if the cost is worth the change.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Ford is also getting into “tune” game. Maybe that’s their way to keep guys from modifying their engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ford
Two unique engine calibrations for the all-new 7.3-liter V8 engine let E-Series customers choose the best horsepower and torque application for their needs.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Classifieds? We have a classifieds page?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #25

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
lol, I seriously did not see that. I need to slow down and take a look around. Thank you, 16ACE27.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I purchased the 5 Star Tune for our 2017 Windsport, better performance and surprisingly a little better gas mileage! Our Windsport needed to have the ECU reflashed for the lack of engine braking, the Tune corrected the problem. Highly recommend the Tune for anyone!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 AM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Recently installed on my 2016 f53 (2015 chassis). It made a REALLY nice improvement in drivability. Biggest difference, as noted, is the transmission shift points. I’m really happy and believe it is well worth the cost. I remain a bit nervous about warranty issues but I’m in it to stay.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #28

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Recently installed on my 2016 f53 (2015 chassis). It made a REALLY nice improvement in drivability. Biggest difference, as noted, is the transmission shift points. I’m really happy and believe it is well worth the cost. I remain a bit nervous about warranty issues but I’m in it to stay.
Thank you Pete'sMH. Mines a 2004 so warranty issues are not a concern.

I've made up my mind to make the plunge, just need to make up my mind where to buy it.

Thanks again!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I purchased the 5 Star Tune for our 2017 Windsport, better performance and surprisingly a little better gas mileage! Our Windsport needed to have the ECU reflashed for the lack of engine braking, the Tune corrected the problem. Highly recommend the Tune for anyone!!!
One more - me too. It took three tries to get the engine performance and shifting program, I wanted in my coach. After installing the tune shipped with the controller I was quite dissatisfied with engine response to a change in throttle position and the early shifting. i e-mailed Five Star and noted my complaints. A week later i received an e-mail with a new tune. Wow what a difference. The second tune was just a little too aggressive tune, so I ask for a the third tune just a little less aggressive. The third tune was exactly what I wanted. I got the feeling they would continue supplying me with tunes to give me what I wanted. After three years and 25,000 miles I an completely satisfied. If I were to buy a new gas coach, the Five Star tune would be the fire=st modification I would make.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #30

Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
Well, I have always "tuned" everything I've owned. This 5-Star tune totally changed the feel of my MH, from initial touch of accelerator off-idle, to transmission shift points, lack of downshifting when climbing overpasses and small bridges, to jake braking when tow/haul mode is on.

I have also gained ~10% with stock ECU tune from 5-Star, but I also added the Banks CAI and they sent a new version of tune w/ upgrade.
Every Dodge Cummins I've owned had some sort of tune or piggy back programmer, ALL my Harleys, 09 Night train, 2010 CVO Ultra, 2009 CVO Road Glide, 2004 CVO Electra Glide....All increased HP and Tq. The numbers were greater in my 2010 Dodge 3500, hat was getting 15 mpg while towing my 32'TT that we had before our MH.

So, in short, I'm a tuning fan and can see the difference in everything I've owned, and most were Dyno tested ...
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
pmbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #31

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
One of the best RV investments we've made. More power, smoother transmission. Have not seen any improvement in gas mileage.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 AM   #32

THOR #6826
5 Star PCM Tuning for Ford V10 Gas

I went with 5 Stars recommended (standard) tune and I’m happy with it. I ordered direct from 5 Star and was happy with that too. Let us know what you think when you jump. Ive got about a year of drivetrain warranty left but I expect I’ll be fine. No worries!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #33

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
This discussion was in a different Thor Forums thread last fall.
5 Star handed out a discount code for the Thor Forums.
A different forum called : IRV2, was given a better discount price.
That's the one I went with, cost wise, the IRV2 discount.
Y'all that are interested, may want to do a search in these forums, as I do not recall the thread title, the discount codes may still be valid.

The information provided with my tune from 5 Star, said something to the affect, the warranty they provide only goes to the original purchaser.
I would think about that before buying one on the used market, if you have any issues, you might not be able to go to 5 Star for a fix.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #34

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Here you go, I knew it was around Christmas time.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ore-15745.html
Old 06-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #35

THOR #6826
When I called 5 Star with pre-order questions I mentioned that I’d seen discounts offered on line and in the FMCA magazine and I just asked for a discount. I think I paid $450.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 AM   #36

THOR #12333
I have run tunes on many of my vehicles. I bought the 5 Star for our 2004 MH and it made a huge difference. The shifting strategy for the 4 speed trans is so much better. When we sold the 2004 I returned it to stock. I then bought a tune for our '19. Seeing how I already had the programmer, a new tune for the '19 only cost $100. It has been on the '19 since the second week of ownership (almost a year now and over 4k miles). The improvement wasn't as dramatic with the 6 speed as it was with the 4 speed. I am pleased with the tune but not as much as I was when I tuned the '04.

If you have an older MH with the 4 speed trans, I would not hesitate to get a tune. It makes the rig so much better to drive.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #37

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
5 Star PCM Tuning for Ford V10 Gas

I installed the 5-Star Tune for my 2018 Outlaw 29H a few weeks ago. I do like the smoother shifting and less over-revving. I did take about a gallon per mile hit in fuel economy.

We just took our longest trip since we have had it..... about 7 straight hours of driving in 90 degree weather..... and my wife uncovered another benefit of the time.

About 5 hours in she said..... “that fix you did made the floor cooler.”

I said.... “I didn’t do anything to the floor.”

She said.... “No... that thing you did to make it shift smoother. The floor used to get very hot but now it is not as hot as it used to be.”

She typically takes her shoes off and is in bare feet when we’re driving so she could really feel the heat in the floor from the engine. She said the floor is still warm but not nearly as hot as it was before the tune.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #38

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I don't understand the cooler floor. If you are burning more fuel per mile, it seems that you would also be creating more heat per mile.

I try to encourage the transmission to shift sooner by lifting my foot from the throttle for an instant, when I think it should shift. I have a Scangauge and sometimes the sooner shift results in better instantaneous fuel mileage and sometimes it doesn't. I think I prematurely shift the transmission because I don't like to know that it's revving the engine so high.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #39

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I’m wondering if it is because the engine isn’t over-revving? Higher RPM’s do create more heat and in the hills of PA and some of the other places we go, pulling hills was causing a lots of higher rev’s with the stock shifting.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
The V-10 is an overhead valve engine as such it just loves the high RPMs. There is no issue with letting it ring out.

With our old combo: F-350 + 5er (and a 5-Star tune) I would frequently find myself passing people going uphill with the V-10 running 4500+ RPM no problems. (The F-350 we traded in for the Axis with about 80,000 miles on it and a prior truck--F-250--traded in for the F-350 with 138,000 miles on it--both V-10s ran like the day we bought them when traded in.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote