Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A question about electric adapters...

... So the Missus and I killing time by walking around in the local Walmart, and I come across this item in their meager RV Section, that has me curious...
It's a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter plug. Not the typical 18" or so long cord, that has one style plug (30 amp) at one end: and the other style (20 amp) at the other. This little ditty has you plug your 30 amp cord into it, and then you can plug it into a 20 amp outlet...

Is there anything to be concerned about; if someone decides to give one of them a try?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
sound like you are talking about the simple adapter. I call it a hockey puck.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-30...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had one my dad gave me...some garage sale find. Never used it though.

My understanding is that they have a larger tendency to overheat than the dogbone adapters do. Seems plausible to be given that there are a lot of connections potentially in such a small space. I'm pretty sure the one I had looks like it may have gotten a bit hot....
Old 01-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! That's the style...
Your observation is exactly what I was thinking about!
I'm just looking for confirmation or dismissal of this issue...
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah I would get a more heavy duty adaptor. I have used my 15 amp to 30 amp connector many time and it never gets hot (but its not like my trying to run much off of it either).

I purchased a HD one from Camping World when I purchased my Axis. (Along with a 50 amp to 30 amp connect just in case I need it).

I would look on Amazon.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amazon it is...
I'm figuring that it might be handy for plugging in the rig for the sole purpose of keeping the batteries happy.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Amazon it is...
I'm figuring that it might be handy for plugging in the rig for the sole purpose of keeping the batteries happy.
...if it's useful or handy for 'keeping the batteries happy', then it's useful and handy for ANY electrical need or purpose you have to use it for. The adapter is no different from any other 'dogbone' type adapter except that it simply does not have the additional 'wiring' between the two ends - it's a SINGLE connection directly between your 30amp male shore cord end, or adapter, to the 15/20amp household outlet you are plugging it into.

one is not 'better', different, or more inherently 'safer', than the other - they both do exactly the same thing.

I've used ours extensively in our over 89,000 miles and 4 1/2 years with our 50amp coach, in those scenarios where your only access to 120v power is a household outlet, including several RV parks in Alaska.

Our 50amp shore cord to our 30amp adapter to our 15/20amp adapter has worked flawlessly. Both are the 'puck' simple style.

Use them, that's what they're sold for.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
This is what I was looking for: the perspective of someone who has put one to the test.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #8

THOR #4735
you hit the nail on the head... experience is the best teacher.

While I have other 'dogbone' type adapters, for various other electrical sharing scenarios, these 'puck' style adapter, if that's what some want to refer to them as, work just fine - all you are doing is asking it to 'adapt' a LOWER amperage to your Higher amperage connector - no damage can be had with that scenario.

Simple, AMPERAGE draw, or usage, is not something that just 'happens' when you plug into shore power, whether 50amps, 30amps, 15/20amps, or anything in between - it's only when you USE your appliances and electrical items that you are drawing AMPS.

YOU control amps - not the coach, and not the electrical outlet you are plugging into.
Your own breakers, or the shore power breaker, is there to safely LIMIT your usage, if you ask to use too much, too quickly.
When breakers trip, it's not that there is a 'problem', as though something with the coach is wrong, but that the user has asked for too much power thru a single wire, creating too much heat, and tripping the 'heat sensitive' breaker, just as it's designed for.

In a scenario where you would use one of these 15/20amp 'puck' or 'dogbone' adapters, usually also along with a similar 30amp adapter for those of us with 50amp Shore Cords, you will not be able to draw MORE than the shore power breaker is designed for: 15 to 20amps.

Along those lines, and with all of the different camping scenarios we've been exposed to, I've used many different and varied varieties of these adapters for 'special' situations.

-I was at my sister's house, in her driveway overnight, and adapted DOWN to her garage's 20amp outlet, with my 'simple' 30 and 15/20 adapters. Did I trip her breaker several times? Yes. But, once you realize you can't also keep your elec Water Heater and battery Charger on at the same time as everything else, you learn to 'manage' what you can do on limited amperage.

-I've used the 50-30amp adapter MANY times since many rv parks and campgrounds ONLY have 30amp service. That's the 'normal' adaptation that most RVrs run into.

-I've used my 50-30/30 DUAL dogbone adapter to attach to TWO 30amps outlets, at a private rv site, and also at several rv parks with vacant/unused sites next door, to get 60amps of usable power.

-I've used my 50-30/15 DUAL dogbone adapter to attach to a 30amp outlet, and a 15/20amp outlet, at the same time, giving me between 45-50amps of usable power.
The 30amp outlet was the typical campground type, next to the motorhome, but the 15/20amp outlet was one I found not too far away at a private bath/laundry house, which had an exterior outlet. Nice.

etc

etc

go, travel.... ENJOY! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I agree with TurnFam. The little pucks are all I have used over the last 20 years. Never had one get hot or show signs of melting.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wish that I had been aware of them; before buying the dogbone style adapters...
They sure take up a lot less space when you're packing the storage compartments!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I used the pucks when the power cable was built in and the last couple have external cable so I use the pigtails that plug into the RV. I run the power with an easy to handle 15A cord either way. The versatility of a 15A plug lets me get power from non-20A sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapte...M87EHJ14DVVR1K
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #14082
Wow! Guys, this is what it is all about. Yes, I have a 20A to 30A adapter. i find it is ?alright? but have always questioned it's integrity. I feel much safer now, especially leaving it plugged into my RV in my drive even when not attended. Thank you guys. Great job!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah but what about water resistances of the pucks?

Are they designed to be used outside and get rained on? If they do get rained on ....both sides will get wet and it will seep into the little middle of the puck, fill it up and short out?

Just a thought.

I always thought the pucks were for indoor use only... but maybe im wong?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
My rig is 30A, so I don't have to deal with any of the 50A stuff....
but I do have a 50A to 30A dogbone that I use fairly often. At some point I figured out that when a post has both outlets the 30A is almost always worn out worse than the 50...loose, signs of burning/arcing, etc....
so
when given the choice i now always use the 50A outlet

and about the puck thing.... I'll of course yield to those with much more experience about their reliability....but for my money I would never choose one over a dogbone....if only for the theoretical/plausible issues. I don't know what the connection looks like inside the things...maybe it's solid... but the two external connections are so close together. What if one or both of the outlet connections are little loose...where does that heat go? what does it do? I'm a mechanical guy and electricity is sorta like a second language that I'm fairly fluent in (not totally)...so I don't know for sure, but it seems like the dogbone might be even just a bit more forgiving.
I suppose I should break into one of those hockypuck things to see how they are built....maybe they will actually handle things better than the wire to plug connections in the dogbone.....hummm...something else to consider....
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I’ve used one for years and never had a heat issue thus far. Mostly it’s been for lower current levels at different houses, but also used it this year to connect to portable generator at up to full load or close to that for extended periods.

Mostly it’s been used indoors, but have also used it outdoors in light rain. I make it a point to protect it from getting wet.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I've had several 30A to 15A pucks. I had one get hot once and distort the source 15A side. Threw the others away and have stuck with dogbones since with no problems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #17

THOR #4735
some are worriers... and the others of us are not

some live by possibilities...
and the others of us on probabilities + experience -
which is a lot less to be concerned about
Old 01-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah but what about water resistances of the pucks?
Are they designed to be used outside and get rained on? If they do get rained on ....both sides will get wet and it will seep into the little middle of the puck, fill it up and short out?
From what I've seen: RV parks usually have their electrical connections at least somewhat protected by the box that they sit in...
But what you do around your own house?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #2121
If indoor, it should stay dry. If outdoor, it should be protected by GFI in case of it getting wet. I personally don’t worry about it any more than any other item. Anything can fail, and assuming that “one” failure of a given item is flawed by design is not something I do. Sometimes a superior item just happens to fail for unrelated reasons (unrelated to design). I need significant statistical data to conclude one is worse than the other. The smaller size itself doesn’t bother me at all.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #20

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
When I sold my last TT I apparently sold the 30A to 20A adapter with it. Well, bought the new coach and went to plug in at home...no adapter. So off to Walmart because it's the only thing open in my town late on a Saturday night. That's what I bought. Works just fine. Been a year now and no problems with it.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote