Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
ACE 30.2 Leveling Question

Finally got my 30.2 on Saturday!! We're taking her for our first camping trip next weekend (Labor Day) at a local state park. I have a leveling questions as I've never leveled a motor home before. The pull-through sites (mine is one) are notorious for being crowned in the middle, and while not too awfully bad from side to side, it'll still need to be leveled in that direction too. I have the "lego" style leveling blocks, chocks for the tires, 2x10 wood pads to go under the jacks, and a large level that I carry with me. Can you guys give me a quick rundown of your leveling procedures? (The dealer PDI guy went through some of it, but I had the feeling he had no practical idea of the procedures specific to the 30.2) In what order do you do everything? Typically, does the automatic leveling system do the trick or do you find you need to fine tune in manual mode? Finally, with the full wall slide on the 30.2, is it better to level before putting out the slide or after? Thanks so much everyone! Sorry for all the questions; I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right!

Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congrats on getting it home!
I'm watching to see what is said about the automatic leveling systems...
As I recall from helping my Dad about a thousand years ago: find your highest corner first, and just bring things up to that level.
It helps to practice in your driveway first!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't have power/auto levelers but I can relay what I've read around here:
  • Try not to lift any wheels off the ground (although if you have to its better to lift the front)
  • Manually leveling may work better than letting the system auto level (it will tend to lift things off the ground)
  • Always put the slide out last. You want to be fully level before extending the slide
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
After you park, and with the engine still running, use the automatic level BEFORE putting your slide out, this way you have a stable platform that will help prevent the slide from binding. My normal procedure is park, level, attach power cord, sewer, then extend slide. Doing the hookups before extending the slide helps avoid knots on your head and makes access to the storage compartments easier. My water hooks to my slide so I do that after extending the slide but I get the hose out of storage while the slide is still in.

The auto level usually works fairly well, sometimes the zero point needs to be reset if it is very far off. You can check your level by putting a bubble level in the bottom of the freezer, your fridge is what needs to be the most level side to side and front to back.

You probably won't need the lego blocks or the wood blocks. I suggest you look at buying a set of Snap Pads, install once and never have to carry blocks again. Many of the members here have purchased the Snap Pads and love them, myself included. No more messing with blocks in the rain or standing on my head in the dark.

Ask questions anytime, everyone starts out as a rookie with a lack of knowledge, everyone!!! I've been doing this a long time and still have questions! Hope you have a Great time and a lot of FUN!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Super D pretty much covered everything. I will add that the auto level will only work if the coach is very close to level before you start. If your campsite is really bad then you might have to manual level. Google Lippert owners manual of try this
Old 08-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Our auto level works fine in nearly every situation. Only twice has it failed to find level and that was because we were nose up in an site. Since both slides are both on the left side, I usually raise the left side up 0.5 degrees from level to compensate for the spring sag and jacks sinking when the slides go out. The bathroom door is the arbitrator of what is level.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Super D pretty much covered everything. I will add that the auto level will only work if the coach is very close to level before you start. If your campsite is really bad then you might have to manual level. Google Lippert owners manual of try this
Thanks for posting this video!
Question: Can you define what "very close to level" means?
a couple of degrees?, a half a bubble?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
My suggestion would be to find a fairly level spot, level the coach manually to your satisfaction, extend your slide, recheck level & adjust level if necessary & recalibrate the system, then once you get to your campsite push "auto" & viola your done.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
My 30.2 levels itself every time. Most places will want you to put pads down even on paved section...EMG Brake on...Leveling pad: "ON"..."AUTO"...wait for the solid or blinking arrows to stop and the LCI light in the center to go solid green. Done
(have everyone sit still or exit the coach before leveling, if ppl are moving around it can throw the system off) Be prepared for a bit of jostling around, fronts will go down first then the rears then it will adjust side to side and finally front-rear again.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
My 30.2 levels itself every time. Most places will want you to put pads down even on paved section...EMG Brake on...Leveling pad: "ON"..."AUTO"...wait for the solid or blinking arrows to stop and the LCI light in the center to go solid green. Done
(have everyone sit still or exit the coach before leveling, if ppl are moving around it can throw the system off) Be prepared for a bit of jostling around, fronts will go down first then the rears then it will adjust side to side and finally front-rear again.
Get a set of SnapPads, you won't ever have to mess with pads again. One of my best purchases!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:22 AM   #11

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
I found it much quicker and less abusive to the coach to manual level. Start with the rear lower the jacks until you feel them make solid contact. Then do the same with the front. Once all 4 are down then get the front to back level then left to right. Works for me every time.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I found it much quicker and less abusive to the coach to manual level. Start with the rear lower the jacks until you feel them make solid contact. Then do the same with the front. Once all 4 are down then get the front to back level then left to right. Works for me every time.
Ditto. Even though I'm only a few weeks into ownership, I found the auto level a bit disconcerting how violently it racks the coach. Not only that, even after resetting the level, it seems to get it higher than needed.

So, I spent the $100+ on a Level Mate Pro. It attaches to a wall in the coach and then you run an app on your phone. It will tell you the height that each corner has to come up to be level. I set my zero with the left side about .75 inches high, which gets me level after I put the slides out.

My steps (and you could do this manually with the lippert control after setting the zero, but I decided the level mate was faster/easier).

1. Lower rear until both jacks are down and rear starts to come up (I can tell, because level mate will show the front numbers increasing -- these are how much the front needs to be raised -- this is done because I want all four jacks down).
2. Raise the front until one of the front corners equals zero
3. Now, raise whichever side is low, and at this point both the front and rear corner on that side should require the same adjustment.

Done. With the Level Mate Pro I can do that in probably 10 - 15 seconds I would guess. It takes it longer the the LPI control to come on, check the jack positions and me put it in manual mode than it does for me to level it.

As a bonus, you can run the app as you are pulling into your site to try and find the most level spot. Can't say enough about this gadget.

Also, like Super D, I got the snap pads. Easy to install and then you've got jack pads permanently mounted from that point on.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #13

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Ditto. Even though I'm only a few weeks into ownership, I found the auto level a bit disconcerting how violently it racks the coach. Not only that, even after resetting the level, it seems to get it higher than needed.

So, I spent the $100+ on a Level Mate Pro. It attaches to a wall in the coach and then you run an app on your phone. It will tell you the height that each corner has to come up to be level. I set my zero with the left side about .75 inches high, which gets me level after I put the slides out.

My steps (and you could do this manually with the lippert control after setting the zero, but I decided the level mate was faster/easier).

1. Lower rear until both jacks are down and rear starts to come up (I can tell, because level mate will show the front numbers increasing -- these are how much the front needs to be raised -- this is done because I want all four jacks down).
2. Raise the front until one of the front corners equals zero
3. Now, raise whichever side is low, and at this point both the front and rear corner on that side should require the same adjustment.

Done. With the Level Mate Pro I can do that in probably 10 - 15 seconds I would guess. It takes it longer the the LPI control to come on, check the jack positions and me put it in manual mode than it does for me to level it.

As a bonus, you can run the app as you are pulling into your site to try and find the most level spot. Can't say enough about this gadget.

Also, like Super D, I got the snap pads. Easy to install and then you've got jack pads permanently mounted from that point on.
2018 37rb. I just use the bubble level app (free) on my phone and lay it on the floor. Auto level has nailed it every time so far. #fingers crossed.