Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Florida
THOR #1942
Air conditioning not working

So... today, we picked up the RV from storage, took it over to Camping World, and on the way back, we decided to turn on the generator and run the rear coach AC's to cool it down.

While I was at Camping World, I asked them if I should turn on my "Inverter" all the time, sometimes, never? When do I use it? They said there was no harm in leaving the inverter on all the time. I asked in another thread about this here, too and got some great info: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...used-1613.html

So anyway, CW told me I could leave that green button on all the time and it would cause no harm. So I pressed it, turned it on, and then I turned on the generator too, and we drove back to storage.

Turned on the AC's and they didn't come on. Simply wouldn't turn on.

Could I have blown a fuse perhaps? Neither the living room roof mounted AC nor the bedroom roof mounted AC would work.

Did CW give me incorrect info - because it does seem to differ from the info I was given in the thread above. I hope I didn't just fry my system :-/

Confused RV Owner

Shawn

Old 06-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekitties View Post
So... today, we picked up the RV from storage, took it over to Camping World, and on the way back, we decided to turn on the generator and run the rear coach AC's to cool it down.

While I was at Camping World, I asked them if I should turn on my "Inverter" all the time, sometimes, never? When do I use it? They said there was no harm in leaving the inverter on all the time. I asked in another thread about this here, too and got some great info: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...used-1613.html

So anyway, CW told me I could leave that green button on all the time and it would cause no harm. So I pressed it, turned it on, and then I turned on the generator too, and we drove back to storage.

Turned on the AC's and they didn't come on. Simply wouldn't turn on.

Could I have blown a fuse perhaps? Neither the living room roof mounted AC nor the bedroom roof mounted AC would work.

Did CW give me incorrect info - because it does seem to differ from the info I was given in the thread above. I hope I didn't just fry my system :-/

Confused RV Owner

Shawn
Shawn,

First off, why did you take it to CW? If they were working anywhere around the electrical system my bet is they, not you, tripped a breaker or blew a fuse. If the AC came on and then stopped when you turned it on I'd say you blew the fuse but since you say they wouldn't turn on it sounds like they did something to trip the breaker or fuse.

As to what camping world told you about the inverter and generator.

If you are running the Generator, there is no reason (zip, nada, none) to have the inverter turned on. The generator is supplying the coach with 110VAC to all components as well as charging the house batteries. Having the inverter on as well only serves to heat up the inverter and cause its internal fan to run for cooling. It is not supplying power to anything while the generator is running. Why put wear and tear on an electronic component when it is not needed?

Also, if you are using the inverter the AGS (Automatic Generator Start), when required, should start the generator to recharge the batteries and then automatically shut the generator down when the batteries are fully charged.

Uh Oh, wait a minute I forgot something, if the inverter runs without doing anything and wears out its internal fan or components, for CW, that is worst case another CW warranty repair billed to Thor and best case the CW sale of a replacement inverter if the warranty has expired.

Sounds like you are going through my experience with the dealer of my previous class c. It always took two trips for service, one to fix the original problem and one to fix what they broke while fixing the original problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #3

THOR #1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Shawn,

First off, why did you take it to CW? If they were working anywhere around the electrical system my bet is they, not you, tripped a breaker or blew a fuse. If the AC came on and then stopped when you turned it on I'd say you blew the fuse but since you say they wouldn't turn on it sounds like they did something to trip the breaker or fuse.

As to what camping world told you about the inverter and generator.

If you are running the Generator, there is no reason (zip, nada, none) to have the inverter turned on. The generator is supplying the coach with 110VAC to all components as well as charging the house batteries. Having the inverter on as well only serves to heat up the inverter and cause its internal fan to run for cooling. It is not supplying power to anything while the generator is running. Why put wear and tear on an electronic component when it is not needed?

Also, if you are using the inverter the AGS (Automatic Generator Start), when required, should start the generator to recharge the batteries and then automatically shut the generator down when the batteries are fully charged.

Uh Oh, wait a minute I forgot something, if the inverter runs without doing anything and wears out its internal fan or components, for CW, that is worst case another CW warranty repair billed to Thor and best case the CW sale of a replacement inverter if the warranty has expired.

Sounds like you are going through my experience with the dealer of my previous class c. It always took two trips for service, one to fix the original problem and one to fix what they broke while fixing the original problem.
Hi there

Well ... CW is in the process of installing a Tiger Trak rear stabilizing bar for me, and replacing my couch with two lounge chairs. I bought it there. I'm completely new at this, so.... it's really my only professional Go-To place around here right now. :-/ I will say I'm not very impressed with them.

I think I'll go find the manual and see if I can find the fuse box and see if I blew a fuse. I will never turn that inverter on again, while the generator is running. They told me I should leave it on all the time, but I thought that sounded odd. I trust the info I'm getting here far more than what I get from them.

My coach did not come with an Automatic Generator Start system, but I did have the EC-30W Onan Autogen system installed. CW did that too. It SEEMS to work OK, though I haven't had a chance to really test it in reality yet.

I just bought this coach brand new from them 6 weeks ago, so I think the warranty is still good. It had 1,350 miles on it when I bought it, and it has 1,501 on it right now. It has spent most of its first 6 weeks of life in the CW yard having things done to it. Things kept not working, etc.

Hmmmm....
Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekitties
so I think the warranty is still good.
Thor's bumper to bumper coach warranty is typically 1 year.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #5

THOR #1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Thor's bumper to bumper coach warranty is typically 1 year.
I'm really surprised it's not more than that. I did buy the recommended extended warranty from CW when I purchased it too. I'll be honest though, I have no idea what that warranty truly covers. Sigh.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Hi there

Well ... CW is in the process of installing a Tiger Trak rear stabilizing bar for me, and replacing my couch with two lounge chairs. I bought it there. I'm completely new at this, so.... it's really my only professional Go-To place around here right now. :-/ I will say I'm not very impressed with them.

I think I'll go find the manual and see if I can find the fuse box and see if I blew a fuse. I will never turn that inverter on again, while the generator is running. They told me I should leave it on all the time, but I thought that sounded odd. I trust the info I'm getting here far more than what I get from them.

My coach did not come with an Automatic Generator Start system, but I did have the EC-30W Onan Autogen system installed. CW did that too. It SEEMS to work OK, though I haven't had a chance to really test it in reality yet.

I just bought this coach brand new from them 6 weeks ago, so I think the warranty is still good. It had 1,350 miles on it when I bought it, and it has 1,501 on it right now. It has spent most of its first 6 weeks of life in the CW yard having things done to it. Things kept not working, etc.

Hmmmm....
Three things,

First, although there are numerous fuses and breakers strung out in the coach the main breaker panel should be at the foot of your bead. That is the place where most of them are located.

Second, and this is where it gets interesting, the EC-30W has an auto generator start feature to support running the AC if a preset temperature is reached. How did they configure this feature and did they connect the system properly. This feature in some way shape or form must be wired into the AC thermostats so here is where I would start looking for an issue. Also, if during the testing of this it started both AC units at the same time they could have created a load that caused the breaker on the generator to trip.

Third, if you coach is there getting additional work performed have them fix what they broke.

Oh the joys we have.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #7

THOR #1942
Quote:
Three things,

First, although there are numerous fuses and breakers strung out in the coach the main breaker panel should be at the foot of your bead. That is the place where most of them are located.

Second, and this is where it gets interesting, the EC-30W has an auto generator start feature to support running the AC if a preset temperature is reached. How did they configure this feature and did they connect the system properly. This feature in some way shape or form must be wired into the AC thermostats so here is where I would start looking for an issue. Also, if during the testing of this it started both AC units at the same time they could have created a load that caused the breaker on the generator to trip.

Third, if you coach is there getting additional work performed have them fix what they broke.

Oh the joys we have.
The day I picked up the RV, about 10 days ago, after they finished the EC-30W, I configured the EC-30W myself. But I turned it off, so it's not even on right now. While I was configuring it, and after turning it off manually, the roof AC's were functioning at that time, because I stayed in my coach for another 30-60 minutes doing some little things, and the roof AC's were on at that time. The EC-30W only works when you are connected to shore power, and it is enabled, and a trigger is met. While it's very possible the EC-30W is what caused this, I have no evidence to support that yet. Or to not support it.

I think I need to locate my fuse panels and investigate. I'll do that tomorrow or the next day. The RV is back in storage right now and I have to get some things done around the house, but I'll get back to it within a day or two. I'll also have CW look at the issue, too, when it goes back in next week to have more items taken care of.

I'll report back here no matter what I find out

I appreciate all of your help!

Oh, also... when I'm looking at the fuse panel, a friend of mine suggested I might remove each fuse and replace it with another one 10 amps higher than the one I removed. Does this make any sense? Would this help in any way in the future from blowing fuses? Is there any downside to this?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Oh, also... when I'm looking at the fuse panel, a friend of mine suggested I might remove each fuse and replace it with another one 10 amps higher than the one I removed. Does this make any sense? Would this help in any way in the future from blowing fuses? Is there any downside to this?

Thanks,
Shawn
The way that I am going to begin my response is to ask a series of questions for you to consider

Have you developed your emergency exit plan for your coach?
Have you and your loved ones practiced that emergency exit plan until you can safely exit the coach within 20 seconds?
Have you verified that your fire extinguisher is rated for electrical fires?
Have you tested your smoke detectors?
Does you insurance pay for fire damage resulting from an unauthorized modification to the electrical system?
Are you prepared to void all warranties on the coach due to unauthorized modifications to the electrical system?

A fuse is designed to blow when there is an overload or short circuit condition. Depending on the circuit involved changing to a higher amperage fuse could cause the wiring to burn before a fuse is blown. This in turn could result in a catastrophic electrical fire.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #9

THOR #1942
Quote:
The way that I am going to begin my response is to ask a series of questions for you to consider

Have you developed your emergency exit plan for your coach?
Have you and your loved ones practiced that emergency exit plan until you can safely exit the coach within 20 seconds?
Have you verified that your fire extinguisher is rated for electrical fires?
Have you tested your smoke detectors?
Does you insurance pay for fire damage resulting from an unauthorized modification to the electrical system?
Are you prepared to void all warranties on the coach due to unauthorized modifications to the electrical system?

A fuse is designed to blow when there is an overload or short circuit condition. Depending on the circuit involved changing to a higher amperage fuse could cause the wiring to burn before a fuse is blown. This in turn could result in a catastrophic electrical fire.

Q: Have you developed your emergency exit plan for your coach?

Yes, it's just me, five cats and 1 dog. They all have GPS Collars, flashing collars so I can find them in the dark, harnesses so I can leash them quick and go. GPS Collars so if they get out, without me leashing them, in a real hurry, I can find them.

Q: Have you and your loved ones practiced that emergency exit plan until you can safely exit the coach within 20 seconds?

It's just me, five cats, 1 dog. I haven't practised this with them, no. I'll call a family meeting tomorrow and we'll get it done.

Q: Have you verified that your fire extinguisher is rated for electrical fires?

Actually, yes, I did do this. The one that came with the coach was NOT rated for it, so I purchased another.

Q: Have you tested your smoke detectors?

I have not. I will do that.

Q: Does you insurance pay for fire damage resulting from an unauthorized modification to the electrical system?

Good question, I don't know. As far as I know we have not done any unauthorized modifications. All parts installed have been manufacturer parts, nothing 3rd party, and have been done at an authorized installation facility.

Q: Are you prepared to void all warranties on the coach due to unauthorized modifications to the electrical system?

Why would the installation of manufacturer additional systems void all warranties on my coach? I specifically asked CW if anything I was installing would void warranties, they said no. I will email Thor and ask as well.

Your logic makes sense, so we will not replace those fuses. Thank you. I'm not an unreasonable person, I simply am very new at this. I was very surprised how little training CW gave me when I purchased this thing. The manual isn't even that good. Sssssooooo much of this is learning from the internet, asking other people, trial and error, etc.

:/
Old 06-12-2015, 04:01 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Q: Have you developed your emergency exit plan for your coach?

Yes, it's just me, five cats and 1 dog. They all have GPS Collars, flashing collars so I can find them in the dark, harnesses so I can leash them quick and go. GPS Collars so if they get out, without me leashing them, in a real hurry, I can find them.

Q: Have you and your loved ones practiced that emergency exit plan until you can safely exit the coach within 20 seconds?

It's just me, five cats, 1 dog. I haven't practised this with them, no. I'll call a family meeting tomorrow and we'll get it done.

Q: Have you verified that your fire extinguisher is rated for electrical fires?

Actually, yes, I did do this. The one that came with the coach was NOT rated for it, so I purchased another.

Q: Have you tested your smoke detectors?

I have not. I will do that.

Q: Does you insurance pay for fire damage resulting from an unauthorized modification to the electrical system?

Good question, I don't know. As far as I know we have not done any unauthorized modifications. All parts installed have been manufacturer parts, nothing 3rd party, and have been done at an authorized installation facility.

Q: Are you prepared to void all warranties on the coach due to unauthorized modifications to the electrical system?

Why would the installation of manufacturer additional systems void all warranties on my coach? I specifically asked CW if anything I was installing would void warranties, they said no. I will email Thor and ask as well.

Your logic makes sense, so we will not replace those fuses. Thank you. I'm not an unreasonable person, I simply am very new at this. I was very surprised how little training CW gave me when I purchased this thing. The manual isn't even that good. Sssssooooo much of this is learning from the internet, asking other people, trial and error, etc.

:/
I was not referring, with any of the questions, to modifications made by an authorized dealer. Those mods would not void a warranty. I was referring to your friends recommendation that you replace the fuses with ones rated 10 amps higher.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-12-2015, 04:02 AM   #11

THOR #1942
Quote:
I was not referring, with any of the questions, to modifications made by an authorized dealer. Those mods would not void a warranty. I was referring to your friends recommendation that you replace the fuses with ones rated 10 amps higher.
I absolutely agree with you. I had never thought about it from that viewpoint.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I absolutely agree with you. I had never thought about it from that viewpoint.
I have often been accused of asking questions that appear to make no sense, however, when the bottom line is revealed it gets people scrambling to answer questions and reevaluate their approach to a change or strategy.

I often find that folks look at the immediate Strengths and Opportunities and do not pay adequate attention to the long term Weaknesses and Threats.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind that RV's rarely use fuses for 120V lines. Its almost always breakers--especially for the Air Conditioning.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind that RV's rarely use fuses for 120V lines. Its almost always breakers--especially for the Air Conditioning.
You are correct, however, the 12 volt system uses fuses and if it is like my coach there is even a 30 amp fuse (in the coach fuse panel above the breaker box) which supplies power to the slides. I believe it is these "blade type" automotive fuses that apply to the recommendation for change.

I will say the same thing applies to 120 VAC breakers. When I had the shore power on my house changed from 30 to 50 amp, they had to change out everything to included the wiring. The initial wiring was rated for 30 amp service but due to the length of the run from the breaker to the plug it could not handle 50 Amp. Just changing the breaker and plug may have caused a future disaster.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #15

THOR #1942
So today I decided to call Thor's customer service line and got a call back from a nice guy named Tim.

First he taught me how to reset the zero point on my leveling system because I kept getting retract timeout errors. It worked! After we reset the zero point the system works flawlessly again.

The AC issue turned out to be very simple too. He asked me if I had lights on my microwave. Told him no. He said ok then it's not a breaker by your bed. It's the breakers on your generator. Sure enough the two 30 amp breakers on the Onan 5500 were off. When camping world installed my autogenstart they likely turned them off to do the work. When we flipped them back on all was well
Old 10-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
Thanks, just had the same Onan 5500 breaker issue at Talladega.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #17661
Our fuse for our thermostat, under our bed, just blows everytime we put a new one in. Our thermostat which is an RV comfort, does not come on at all. The display lights don't even come on. We have a Tuscany Thor '15
Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzcollins View Post
Our fuse for our thermostat, under our bed, just blows everytime we put a new one in. Our thermostat which is an RV comfort, does not come on at all. The display lights don't even come on. We have a Tuscany Thor '15
The thermostat, GENERALLY, gets it's power from the furnace. That is probably the furnace fuse that keeps blowing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You are correct, however, the 12 volt system uses fuses and if it is like my coach there is even a 30 amp fuse (in the coach fuse panel above the breaker box) which supplies power to the slides. I believe it is these "blade type" automotive fuses that apply to the recommendation for change.

I will say the same thing applies to 120 VAC breakers. When I had the shore power on my house changed from 30 to 50 amp, they had to change out everything to included the wiring. The initial wiring was rated for 30 amp service but due to the length of the run from the breaker to the plug it could not handle 50 Amp. Just changing the breaker and plug may have caused a future disaster.
The wiring change was not caused buy the distance. 30 amps is 120 volts. 50 amps is 240 volts. 50 amps needs 4 wires, not three. 30 amps needs #10 ga wire. 50 amps needs #6 ga wire.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:00 AM   #20

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzcollins View Post
Greetings and Welcome

Sorry your having trouble.

16ACE27 has mentioned that the thermostat works thru the furnace, a MAJOR source of problems. Could you check what furnace you have?
This might be a easy not too expensive fix

FYI: this thread is from 2015, you might get better help if you start a new thread in the
"Maintenance and Repair" sub forum".

Again welcome