Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3787
Axxera AV614BH - why doesn't this work

I just purchased a 2016 Hurricane 29M that has the Axxera AV614BH radio. The radio that came with the unit had two issues, the BT mic function would not work. When placing a call the receiving party was unable to hear me, checked the obvious, ensured the volume was up on my phone etc. The only way I could be heard was to put the mic directly in front of my mouth.

The DualMirror feature of the phone doesn't work. I have a HTC phone ordered the specified cable from Dual. Phone indicates that the video signal is being sent but no response from the radio.

I called Thor Warranty and explained the problem. They promptly agreed to drop ship a new one which came today. I have installed it and it performs exactly as the original one.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas as to what to trouble shoot.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Hurricane 29M that has the Axxera AV614BH radio. The radio that came with the unit had two issues, the BT mic function would not work. When placing a call the receiving party was unable to hear me, checked the obvious, ensured the volume was up on my phone etc. The only way I could be heard was to put the mic directly in front of my mouth.

The DualMirror feature of the phone doesn't work. I have a HTC phone ordered the specified cable from Dual. Phone indicates that the video signal is being sent but no response from the radio.

I called Thor Warranty and explained the problem. They promptly agreed to drop ship a new one which came today. I have installed it and it performs exactly as the original one.

I had the exact same problem with the mic. The Problem is they NEVER installed the MIC. This unit has an external MIC that gets plugged in the back. Thor sent a new MIC and I had the dealer install it under warranty.

I had the same problem with the cable, which I returned and bought the wireless dual cast, which works great. DMH25 - DualCast? Wi-Fi HDMI Dongle
Old 04-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:

JUST CHECKING...did you make sure your phone paired with the new Axxera ?
Did you follow the installation instructions on page 25 of the owners manual?
I know these are the obvious...but, sometimes....
IN ADDITION.. there is a firmware update available on the Axxera website..

We have paired our iphones with the Axxera to use for phone calls, but have not completed the dual mirror function.

Keep us posted on your progress...and I am sure there is someone on this Forum who has an answer for you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I just ordered the DMH-25. I hope my Nexus 5X is compatible with it.

If not, my next option will be an Android Auto head unit and that will be an expensive solution.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadea View Post
......bought the wireless dual cast, which works great. DMH25 - DualCast? Wi-Fi HDMI Dongle
Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

THOR #3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by obadea View Post
I had the exact same problem with the mic. The Problem is they NEVER installed the MIC. This unit has an external MIC that gets plugged in the back. Thor sent a new MIC and I had the dealer install it under warranty.

I had the same problem with the cable, which I returned and bought the wireless dual cast, which works great. DMH25 - DualCast? Wi-Fi HDMI Dongle
Obadea, in reference to the mic. Are you saying the internal mic was not installed only the jack for the external mic. Was the dealer able to correct this or was the unit sent back?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #3216
Quote:

My iPad works with proper cable. The radio doesn't recognize my Motorola Android phone. There is a list on their site of supported phones. Disappointed in that aspect of the radio.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Obadea, in reference to the mic. Are you saying the internal mic was not installed only the jack for the external mic. Was the dealer able to correct this or was the unit sent back?

There is no internal microphone on the Axxerra radio. There is a small round external microphone that must be plugged into the back of the radio.

Like others mine was not connected at purchase and was in the plastic bag of radio parts. The mic includes a clip that can be used to mount where it works best. I clipped mine on the dash overhang above the radio and it works fine.

As to the dual mirroring, the phone and iPad image displayed on the Axxerra sucks and IMO it is not worth the effort or the cost for cables.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:

Viper...I believe what both, Dave & Obadea, are saying is...there is no internal Mic ..
just the external Mic .. that is what we found on our Axxera.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

THOR #3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
There is no internal microphone on the Axxerra radio. There is a small round external microphone that must be plugged into the back of the radio.

Like others mine was not connected at purchase and was in the plastic bag of radio parts. The mic includes a clip that can be used to mount where it works best. I clipped mine on the dash overhang above the radio and it works fine.

As to the dual mirroring, the phone and iPad image displayed on the Axxerra sucks and IMO it is not worth the effort or the cost for cables.
I have tried tried two different mics and two different radio units both with the same results. I guess I'll just turn the BT function off until I want to use my MP3. Seems like the Axxera has a lot of issues, not sure its worth the time or cost to try to correct, especially since Thor has already sent me a new unit.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
I have tried tried two different mics and two different radio units both with the same results. I guess I'll just turn the BT function off until I want to use my MP3. Seems like the Axxera has a lot of issues, not sure its worth the time or cost to try to correct, especially since Thor has already sent me a new unit.
Viper..I agree with Dave...
We have a Garmin, and I use Google Maps alot...as the co-pilot, I have learned to depend on these. The Axxera is the first 'smart' radio we have had in our RV's. Since we have not been on an extended trip, in our new Axis, I cannot say how much I will depend on the Axxera, other than BT phone conversations, playing CD's when not within radio reception, and the mirror/backup cameras. I would love to figure out the Dual Mirror app for my iohone...may take me a little time.
I have downloaded the Firmware Update..have not had time to load it in the Axxera. I will report my findings as we move down the road !

Enjoy !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #11

THOR #3216
Quote:
I agree. The image is not worth the trouble
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
I also have the problem of hearing but not able to be heard on the Bluetooth cell phone call with my Samsung Galaxy 5. Unless I speak directly into the mic which is not possible while driving.
Is there a solution for this. I am not understanding the above. My dealer switched out mics and I tried my phone in another Axis with the same result. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
OK, With all these issues, you now understand why I replaced the Axxera with the Pioneer. Another issue I had was the Axxera took 10-15 seconds to load a CD. Really!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

THOR #3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
I also have the problem of hearing but not able to be heard on the Bluetooth cell phone call with my Samsung Galaxy 5. Unless I speak directly into the mic which is not possible while driving.
Is there a solution for this. I am not understanding the above. My dealer switched out mics and I tried my phone in another Axis with the same result. Thanks for any help.

I don't think there is a fix, I think the radio is just junk. As stated earlier I am on my second radio, same issues with both. After installing the second one I called Dual and talked with one of the Techs, he was to call me back after seeing if they could create these issues in the lab, never heard anything else from them.

After springing for the cost of a motor home its kind of sad that Thor cuts corners like this to save a dollar. I'd rather pay a little more at purchase and have something that is serviceable than to deal with the headaches of junk.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

THOR #3027
Has anyone downloaded the system software update and did it fix the problem on the microphone volume for Android phones. Apple phone seemed to work but mine did not. I have a Samsung Galaxy 5, Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #16

THOR #3216
Quote:
Has anyone downloaded the system software update and did it fix the problem on the microphone volume for Android phones. Apple phone seemed to work but mine did not. I have a Samsung Galaxy 5, Thanks
I installed the updates.
My mic volume seems okay. However I haven't used it much. My radio is excellent except that it won't keep the time and that dual mirror business is inadequate at best, non-functional for my Android phone.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #17

THOR #3027
Thanks. Trying to download the system updates of a thumb drive but not able to get it done. Any secret?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #18

THOR #3027
Keep getting disc image file is corrupted.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Keep getting disc image file is corrupted.
Did you unzip the files before or after putting them on the thumb drive?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Did you unzip the files before or after putting them on the thumb drive?
agree with Dave...make sure you unzip the file before loading on a usb drive or sd

Note....we returned from our 4th overnight shakedown of the new Axis...
LOVE IT !
Axxera radio No problems
Will load firmware update today or tomorrow..will post any results, if any.
Jeep Wrangler TJ