Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Delaware
THOR #10960
HDMI or DMH25 wi-fi Dongle - or New Radio ?

Tech question: Stock radio (Axxera AVM70) with using either the HDMI or DMH25 Dongle dual mirroring my iPhone I'm burning through data. Using Google.maps alone on a multiple day cross country trek with daily side trips over a two week period this configuration will surely drain our family data plan... Am I correct?

Also, so no GPS when outside cell tower range?

Roaming rates?

Should I consider an alternative RV radio with video camera and GPS?

Thank you for your help.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you don't download the maps for offline use from a WIFI connection ahead of time you will certainly need to use data while on the road. And if you have no cell coverage, your GPS app will still know where you are (using your phone's GPS) but will have no maps to display your position on.

You are better off to purchase a purpose specific RV GPS rather than replace your radio with one with a built-in GPS.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Be interesting to track it. My useage of Google maps uses about 0.2GB a month. Probably equivalent to a few days a month of steady use on a trip sinc e I use it an hour here and there.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #24

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #11376
Can you clarify what you meant by 'better unit'? Is this a different model Axxera, or the same model that happens to work?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #25

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Dual brand with DVD player.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #26

THOR #11376
thanks. Can you provide the Dual model number you ordered? There seems to be different wiring schemes on various Dual Bluetooth/DVD models. I'd like an exact replacement for my Axxera AVM70LH -- which on my 2018 Quantum RW28 brings out the USB and HDMI ports to the dash and has full video control (rear and turn signals.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #27

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscott View Post
thanks. Can you provide the Dual model number you ordered? There seems to be different wiring schemes on various Dual Bluetooth/DVD models. I'd like an exact replacement for my Axxera AVM70LH -- which on my 2018 Quantum RW28 brings out the USB and HDMI ports to the dash and has full video control (rear and turn signals.

Ok will get in morning. I didn’t order Thor replaced bad AVM70 with it.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #28

THOR #8813
Dual DV637MB
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSquared View Post
When we ordered our 2018 MSB Sprinter Chateau 24HL we specified that we wanted a stereo system that had the capability of dual mirroring our iPhones. We were told that the standard system, Axxera AVM70, being put into the 2018 models had that ability.

We received our coach three weeks ago, and yes the Axxera AVM70 does have dual mirroring capabilities, but only for an android device! However, when Thor built the coach they didn't make any of the connections for that feature to operate. Now the unit must be pulled out of the dash so that the cables can be added and after market USB and HDMI hookup ports will need to be placed somewhere on the dash.

Has anyone else had to do this? If so, where were you able to purchase the cables (DL5i) and where did you place the USB and HDMI ports?
I use my Iphone with no problem at all. I had to buy the adapter for HDMI cable.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I've been unable to get the apple adapter to work with the HDMI port on the dash. I purchased the wireless DMH25 and it works just fine. Very strange. Thanks for the help!

Pete
I got the Apple to work (using the actual Apple product which I already had) but am going with the DMH25 for convenience to lessen clutter in the cab. Thank you all for aiming me in that direction and saving me some $$ as well. Now if only the AVM70 Bluetooth was working I'd be set! It won't broadcast for pairing.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:32 AM   #31

THOR #11376
Mirror with S8

I found the DMH25 mirroring to work with my Android S8+ and the Axerra AVM70LH. However, I had to power the unit with the micro-USB, even though the manual said that the HDMI port should be able to provide power.

By the way -- a Thor service person told me that the USB charging port on the dash is NOT the rear port of the Axerra that has been brought out to front (at least on my Quantum RW28.) This USB port can power a phone even if Axerra power is disconnected. This seems to disagree with other statements on this forum.

The HDMI port right next to USB port is -- of course -- from the rear of the Axerra.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #32

State: Alabama
THOR #7276
We picked up our motorhome from Camping World yesterday. They installed the HDMI and USB port on the dash, which Thor should have installed when the unit was built. Now waiting for our DMH25 to be delivered tomorrow and hoping we will finally be able to mirror our phone. Prior to CW installing the HDMI port our AVM70 sound quality was terrible and would freeze up, the only way to correct the freeze was to turn off the unit and then back on again. Since the unit was removed and reinstalled the sounds is working great! Thinking maybe we had loose connections. We were finally able to get CW to install the HDMI port as a warranty issue, but had to endure some frustration between CW and Thor to make it happen! Looks like we’re on the road to being happy campers again!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #33

THOR #11587
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Mine came with AVM70 and had all the hookups. Touch screen died and they replaced with better unit. Neither would work on mirroring with cables. Bought Wifi dongle and it works great. My iPhone screen shows up on screen.
My AVM70LH touchscreen also died - waiting to see if I can have it repaired / replaced.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #34

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
I’ve decided to replace the Axera radio with a Pioneer unit with navigation and Apple CarPlay. I don’t look forward to taking the dash panel off to replace the radio.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #35

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Which Pioneer unit are you getting? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #36

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

We got the one that plays cd’s color screen and back up camera. It was 300 dollars. 80 dollars to install. Simple but beautiful sound and easy to operate.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #37

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
8200NEX It’s their flagship unit. My son has one and loves it.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #38

State: British Columbia
THOR #11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I needed a wifi dongle to get my android phone to work with my 2018 Windsport. The headset does not control the phone it just mirrors the screen. Using the dongle Pandora does not run smoothly and keeps dropping out. I'm going to be switching out the Axerra for the same Pioneer unit we have in our Wrangler. It runs flawlessly and you control everything from the Pioneer.
I just picked up my chateau 24Fs and this radio is terrible, and the speakers are also bad. What pioneer unit are you going to replace it with. This unit will answer/end calls via the steering wheel but not make a call.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #39

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11393
Have a DMH25 issue. When connected with iPhone it doesn’t play the entire audio instruction. For example, instead of saying “turn right in 500 feet on Main Street” it might just say “on Main Street”. Anyone else experience this and have some advice? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #40

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
As long as my S8 is blue toothed and dongled, the two way works with the Axxera.
I can’t get my Axxera avm70 model to turn on.