Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2021, 03:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence
State: Utah
THOR #23543
bonehead move while winterizing

Tail between my legs here. I was winterizing my Thor Sequence 20K - everything going smoothly - I got to the step where I'm blowing out the lines via the city fill port. I don't have an air compressor so I was using the tire pump from my car - not great but it blows about 10-15 psi, and generally works pretty good. But the battery died and I was in a hurry, so I grabbed another inflator that I'd never used before. I mistakenly hooked up the sealant hose however, and blew tire sealant into my city line. (I know how dumb that sounds, but this inflator has a weird design - easy to make this mistake imho). Anyway, I realized it quickly and shut it off within a few seconds so probably just a small amount of sealant got in there. I hooked up a hose to the city fill, opened all the faucets, valves, etc and flushed the system for 1.5 hours - Water was foamy for a few minutes initially but then ran clear the rest of the way. Still, I'm nervous - I hate the idea of that junk in my plumbing and I'm worried about permanent damage. I'm considering running a citrus based cleaner thru the system and then thoroughly flushing again with water. Good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Am I overreacting? I believe tire sealant is pretty water soluble, so maybe what I've already done was enough to clean the system?

To make matters worse, I had not yet bypassed my Truma combi water heater, so it's possible that sealant got i in there as well.

Any advice is much appreciated. And really, I expect some mockery on this one. Ugg, can't believe I did this!

Old 11-17-2021, 03:24 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You stupid dummy!!! How could you make such an idiotic mistake??

JUST KIDDING!!! We've ALL "Been there... Done that".

I'd recommend not running your water pump until you've thoroughly flushed out the plumbing... which it sounds like you've done.

Maybe take the strainer off the pump and flush it out.

If all works... probably no harm done!!
Old 11-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
What a great idea!!! I bet it sealed any possible leaks

Sanitize your entire plumbing system with Chlorine, use 2 - 3 times the normal amount and let it sit overnight. Repeat the 2nd night with normal chorine amount. Flush the entire system with fresh water until you think you are normal. Take a water sample to get tested if you have any doubts for added assurances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burt Yeah.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	34838  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:11 AM   #4

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

JUST KIDDING!!! We've ALL "Been there... Done that".
Not sure I have been there, if I was; I was drunk
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Before you start adding chlorine or any other chemicals to the stuff that hopefully you already flushed go online and read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the product. It should tell you what the chemicals are in the tire sealant and what other chemicals that it may react with.(*Somewhere along the line years ago some people cleaning bathrooms found out its not good to mix bleach and ammonia it can kill you)
From what I read on the Slime brand tire sealant you should be ok sanitizing with bleach but I would check the MSDS on the stuff you have just the same
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Before you start adding chlorine or any other chemicals to the stuff that hopefully you already flushed go online and read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the product. It should tell you what the chemicals are in the tire sealant and what other chemicals that it may react with.(*Somewhere along the line years ago some people cleaning bathrooms found out its not good to mix bleach and ammonia it can kill you)
From what I read on the Slime brand tire sealant you should be ok sanitizing with bleach but I would check the MSDS on the stuff you have just the same
That's right, I forgot to say be sure and where a mask first. Preferably a CM-7M, let not take any chances

Anyone using ammonia these days as household product well that is entirely different story.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
At any rate a tire pump from a car isn't going to do it.

To blow out RV lines (much like an in ground sprinkler system) you need a compressor that can produce volume not compression. You would still have water in the system using a basic tire unit.

Of course an RV system isn't quite as large as a sprinker system so you don't need one of those huge pull behind compressors but you would want something with a tank.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Get a cheap compressor from HF. Once you are done with the side issues, then use it to blow out the plumbing.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Get a cheap compressor from HF. Once you are done with the side issues, then use it to blow out the plumbing.
I would add - one with a TANK, like a "pancake" or "hotdog" as they're typically called. As stated - you need VOLUME, not just a PSI rating. The tank style compressors allow you to store a large volume of air - then release that volume with fairly high PSI - and volume. A cheap tire inflator will NOT work for that.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #10

Model: Sequence
State: Utah
THOR #23543
Thanks all, appreciate all the input and humor.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I would add - one with a TANK, like a "pancake" or "hotdog" as they're typically called. As stated - you need VOLUME, not just a PSI rating. The tank style compressors allow you to store a large volume of air - then release that volume with fairly high PSI - and volume. A cheap tire inflator will NOT work for that.
And I'll add ADJUSTABLE compressor so you can set the pressure around 50psi. Too low and you won't get the pressure and flow to do much good, too high and you won't have to worry about freezing issues.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #23205
call the sealant mfg to see if they can offer advice
Old 11-25-2021, 02:06 AM   #13

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfharty3 View Post
Tail between my legs here. I was winterizing my Thor Sequence 20K - everything going smoothly - I got to the step where I'm blowing out the lines via the city fill port. I don't have an air compressor so I was using the tire pump from my car - not great but it blows about 10-15 psi, and generally works pretty good. But the battery died and I was in a hurry, so I grabbed another inflator that I'd never used before. I mistakenly hooked up the sealant hose however, and blew tire sealant into my city line. (I know how dumb that sounds, but this inflator has a weird design - easy to make this mistake imho).
If that is the same tire inflator that came with my ProMaster chassis then it is an easy mistake to make. At least for me. The little icons didn’t make sense to me differentiating between inflating and sealing.

Sorry for your grief.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102

The fit rv did a test on this using a standard bicycle pump.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #15

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
I was waiting for James to use that crummy compressor. But good and informative video anyway. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Well some people I swear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	34990  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #17
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
The only thing that would worry me is just how much this stuff can leach chemicals into the water. Plastic and rubber products that are not designed for the food industry do leach chemicals. Just how much, what kinds, and the amount is unknown. How much of the chemicals leached into the water becomes a health problem? Most can be carcinogens. So...?
Old 11-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
The only thing that would worry me is just how much this stuff can leach chemicals into the water. Plastic and rubber products that are not designed for the food industry do leach chemicals. Just how much, what kinds, and the amount is unknown. How much of the chemicals leached into the water becomes a health problem? Most can be carcinogens. So...?
Well since you don't drink the water (no one does) I wouldn't worry about showers or washing dishes. You couldn't possibly get enough of anything to harm you.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #19

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Well since you don't drink the water (no one does) I wouldn't worry about showers or washing dishes. You couldn't possibly get enough of anything to harm you.
A lot of people drink the water, we do. But I sanitize at least yearly, drain after trips, replace filters, and avoid chemically nuking the supply system.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
My worry would be whether it gums up your pump or 4 way valve. The internal fixtures should be fine. I doubt a health issue. With that much flushing unlikely to be chemicals that would be at any more risk than a trip to Burger King. Your body is exposed to trace amounts of stuff like that in everyday eating and drinking.

Tags
winterize