Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
AGM battery replacement and converter

My el cheapo Costco flooded batteries are toast. I can’t currently justify / afford lithium (and subsequent controller replacement).

I’m thinking about upgrading to AGM. From the reading I’ve done on the inter web, AGM is a better choice than flooded.

If I replace with AGM will my WF98xx controller be able to charge and maintain them? I ask because I talked to Battle Born and the lady said that if I went w lithium, the WF98xx wouldn’t fully charge lithium.

Thoughts?

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
AGMs

I can add that when we had our 24.1 Axis, we changed the two stock house batteries for two Lifeline AGM batteries. Nothing else was needed and they worked well for us.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post

If I replace with AGM will my WF98xx controller be able to charge and maintain them? I ask because I talked to Battle Born and the lady said that if I went w lithium, the WF98xx wouldn’t fully charge lithium.

Thoughts?
AGM batteries are still lead/acid chemistry batteries. There is a slight difference in the absorption voltage recommended for some types of AGMs, but it only effects the last 4% of the charge. The bulk and float charging voltages are the same for flooded and AGM.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
My thought ....

“Better” is subjective. Other than not having to water, and reduce corrosion in area of battery, what do AGM batteries provide for you? Flooded are cheaper and can be better value per Amp-hour if comparing similar quality.

On new installations/designs AGM offer more location options, but on an existing motorhome originally designed for flooded, I’m not sure AGM add as much value.

Also, did Costco batteries fail due to being “cheapo”, or possibly something else? How long did original last? The motorhome isn’t that old to have gone through two sets of batteries unless original batteries were damaged before delivery.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #5

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
“Better” is subjective. Other than not having to water, and reduce corrosion in area of battery, what do AGM batteries provide for you? Flooded are cheaper and can be better value per Amp-hour if comparing similar quality.

On new installations/designs AGM offer more location options, but on an existing motorhome originally designed for flooded, I’m not sure AGM add as much value.

Also, did Costco batteries fail due to being “cheapo”, or possibly something else? How long did original last? The motorhome isn’t that old to have gone through two sets of batteries unless original batteries were damaged before delivery.
Not sure about the original batteries. The current ones are 14 months old. I’ll ASSume that the previous owner never checked their levels because the wiring was zip tied and I had to remove ties and move cabling just to get the caps off.
He also kept it plugged in so he probably never worried about checking.
I don’t know...
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #6

THOR #2121
True deep-cycle flooded batteries should last much longer than that if maintained properly and not discharged too deeply. I had no issue with my flooded house battery on Class C, and know of others over 5 years old. For van application a flooded isn’t as practical because they are normally installed under floor where they can’t be reached as easily.

Depending on manufacturer, the number of life cycles for flooded can be as high or higher than for AGM, so I wouldn’t expect a longer life just due to it being AGM. For convenience, no doubt AGM wins, but it comes at a higher cost.

Costco may warranty your batteries (at least partially) so if you haven’t tried that already, it may be worth a shot.

My biggest concern would be that if batteries met an early death due to some unknown cause, that the same thing could happen to the more expensive AGMs. However, it sounds to me based on your observation that they were probably not watered properly, or at all.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #7

THOR #6411
[QUOTE=Chance;214703]“Better” is subjective. Other than not having to water, and reduce corrosion in area of battery, what do AGM batteries provide for you? Flooded are cheaper and can be better value per Amp-hour if comparing similar quality. QUOTE] AGMs have a faster charge rate because of their very low resistance, and thus heat up less than flooded batteries when charging. AGMs self-discharge rate is 20 times less than flooded batteries. That means if stored fully charged for 6 months, they would still retain 95% of the original charge. Because of their plate design, they can stand much more abuse (vibration, physical shock, heat) than even flooded deep cycle batteries can stand. Flooded deep cycle batteries have an RV service life of 4 to 6 years; where as, AGM batteries service life is 5 to 12 years. AGM batteries ONLY disadvantage is the price.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

.....cut.... AGM batteries ONLY disadvantage is the price.
Agree, but to me that’s a major difference, otherwise it’s like comparing a $1,000 solar system to one that costs $2,000. I expect most things that cost more to perform better (although it’s not always the case). The question is whether it’s worth the difference to the particular buyer.

If we compare based on similar price because there is a limited budget, then you can get more capacity with flooded. If we compare 100 Ah of AGM to 160 Ah of flooded, the choice isn’t as simple (at least to me).

By the way, I’ve seen data for lithium batteries having a very low self discharge rate, but nothing to suggest AGM is only 1% a month. Are you sure that’s correct?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I love my AGM's. They are better than the OEM's in every way (expect Price). They discharge (when stored) at a very low rate. I have read this "1% per a month" many times on websites. That sounds about right for mine as well. Even it it was double ("2%") I would be happy. My Axis is in a insulated storge building and I dont even bother charging them. I just drive the RV once a month to exercise the engine and the Genny. If im tinkering with it at home I will plug it in for the day (30 amp) but mostly so I can have the lights and radio on sometimes run the AC or electic heater).

The OEM batteries would be almost dead in 2 or 3 weeks If I didnt charge them once a week....so im very happy with my AGM's.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
By the way, I’ve seen data for lithium batteries having a very low self discharge rate, but nothing to suggest AGM is only 1% a month. Are you sure that’s correct?
From the Concord Battery's website
AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries.
The reason for the percentage variance is temperature. For flooded batteries the rate of self-discharge at 104 F degrees is three times greater than the self-discharge at 68 F degrees and so it is with AGMs. It is all about a chemical reaction - the hotter the electrolyte the faster the chemical reaction occurs.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #11

THOR #2121
I agree that AGM self discharges slower than flooded, but I was questioning the 1% per month, or 95% capacity after 6 months. Both seem too optimistic in normal use. Regardless, it’s only important if it applies to the owner. For me, it’s not a benefit I would spend more cash to buy because I use RVs too often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8F21EB7-7B02-445A-9548-B2F50417D448.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	21743  
Old 12-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #12

THOR #17154
We plan to rarely boondock, so we’ll normally be on shore power somewhere, even in the yard.

Would this negate the benefit of slow discharge rate of the AGM batteries?

And come to think of it - if I check the water level frequently, then flooded wouldn’t be that bad?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Changing to AGM's has been the only upgrade done and needed to the Tuscany in 5 years. The AGM's not only hold charge longer but you don't have to clean and replace cables and not having corrosion in the compartment is worth something.

You are going to spend a bit over twice but save money in the long term if you plan on keeping a Coach for 5 years or longer.

All my newer Fords have came with AGM's for a reason.