Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45LT
State: Texas
THOR #10801
Chassis Batteries

Just bought a 2014 Thor Tuscany 45LT
My manual states that on shore power my house and chassis batteries are being charged but my Chassis batteries keep going dead has any one else had this problem? Or know how to fix it thanks

Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...when-3315.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
'when' are you noticing that this happens: when you are traveling frequently, or when you are parked for extended periods?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

THOR #10801
We are living in it now has been in one place for a couple of weeks
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
If your converter (charger) is working properly (on shore power) it will charge the coach batteries first. Then if the BIRD is wired and working properly, the charge current will relay charger output to the chassis battery. Sounds like the switch to the chassis battery isn't happening. Is the chassis battery good? A bad battery can cause a no switch condition. Chasing down BIRD wiring can be a PITA but if the batteries are otherwise good you at least know where the problem is.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #6

THOR #4735
how do you know that they are 'going dead'? are you trying to crank it while you are still parked? what gives away that they are 'dead batteries'?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 AM   #7

THOR #10801
The satellite system and steps run off chassis battery discovered batteries dead when they stop working
Old 02-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #8

THOR #10801
Maybe I need to disconnect batteries and test them , as soon as start motor batteries show fully charged,Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 12:37 AM   #9

THOR #4735
I'm amazed that your Sat, or even the steps, operate off the CHASSIS batteries... are you sure? That's a strange setup for a new coach, especially since a sat system(antenna, receiver, etc) uses 120v power, not 12v, at least not typically. What sat system is it? is it original to the coach?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDCKEC View Post
Maybe I need to disconnect batteries and test them , as soon as start motor batteries show fully charged,Thanks
You realize "start motor batteries" are chassis batteries?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
It is an adventure with our VEGAS to get the chassis battery to charge from Shore power. The other day, started the generator, and when I killed the genny and went back to shore power I noticed the chassis battery was at 12.6 volts. Disconnected shore power, started the coach (alternator was charging at 14+ v as it should). Then killed the engine, reapplied shore power and abracadabra chassis was charging at 13.6 dropping to 13.2 as it should.

It is amazing the combinations sometimes of turning on, turning off, and connecting to get the chassis batteries to charge on shore power. Glad I have voltage readouts on the batteries to quickly check them.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 AM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
"It is amazing the combinations sometimes of turning on, turning off, and connecting to get the chassis batteries to charge on shore power. Glad I have voltage readouts on the batteries to quickly check them."

I hope you don't have to stand on one foot and touch your nose in the future to make it work. LOL
Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
It is an adventure with our VEGAS to get the chassis battery to charge from Shore power. The other day, started the generator, and when I killed the genny and went back to shore power I noticed the chassis battery was at 12.6 volts. Disconnected shore power, started the coach (alternator was charging at 14+ v as it should). Then killed the engine, reapplied shore power and abracadabra chassis was charging at 13.6 dropping to 13.2 as it should.

It is amazing the combinations sometimes of turning on, turning off, and connecting to get the chassis batteries to charge on shore power. Glad I have voltage readouts on the batteries to quickly check them.
Are you waiting long enough? The BIRD doesn't switch over charging right away, it waits a few minutes before closing when 120V is present (regardless of the source).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Are you waiting long enough? The BIRD doesn't switch over charging right away, it waits a few minutes before closing when 120V is present (regardless of the source).
True about the Trombetta not opening the BIRD for a minute or two, but for clarity, 120v never reaches the BIRD. When the BIRD senses 13.8v or more from either the alternator (chassis battery) or convert/charger (shore power or generator) it opens the Trombetta.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #15

THOR #1944
Example info/spec sheet that might be similar to your coach: https://www.intellitec.com/assets/pd...-01000-000.pdf
Old 02-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Example info/spec sheet that might be similar to your coach: https://www.intellitec.com/assets/pd...-01000-000.pdf
I’ve posted this before (good idea to post it again) but seeing it, I realize where I got the impression that the emergency start switch did not open the Trombetta but connected the coach batteries directly to the chassis battery bypassing the Trombetta. I don’t know if the Axis is actually wired this way. This is a generic diagram.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #17

THOR #10801
Yes I know chassis batteries start motor , they are the ones not charging on shore
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #18
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I'm amazed that your Sat, or even the steps, operate off the CHASSIS batteries... are you sure? That's a strange setup for a new coach, especially since a sat system(antenna, receiver, etc) uses 120v power, not 12v, at least not typically. What sat system is it? is it original to the coach?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDCKEC View Post
The satellite system and steps run off chassis battery discovered batteries dead when they stop working
While Satellite would surprise me - steps do not... They must always extend when door opens - and always retract when ignition on (and door closed) - so can't be on a use/store switch with the coach batteries...
My steps are connected to chassis battery.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
True about the Trombetta not opening the BIRD for a minute or two, but for clarity, 120v never reaches the BIRD. When the BIRD senses 13.8v or more from either the alternator (chassis battery) or convert/charger (shore power or generator) it closes the Trombetta.
FTFY A switch or relay has to be closed to allow current flow.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #20

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I’ve posted this before (good idea to post it again) but seeing it, I realize where I got the impression that the emergency start switch did not open the Trombetta but connected the coach batteries directly to the chassis battery bypassing the Trombetta. I don’t know if the Axis is actually wired this way. This is a generic diagram.
It's the verbal description that I felt might help...
Even if that monster rig has a different control set, the functional behaviors would likely be quite similar. Notably the fail safe switching for times like the converter being heavily loaded like if somebody leaves their inverter on by accident.