Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #4469
Clicking in Engine when everything OFF

We noticed after our last adventure out that we now have an odd "Clicking" noise coming from the engine. I have to say, it may have been happening before, but we're just noticing it now.

This noise happens when everything is in the OFF positions. i.e. engine off, USE/Store button in Store position, LP Gas off, etc. It occurs about 2 to 3 minutes apart and sounds like it's coming from the engine area.

Any ideas, besides taking it in to get it checked?

TIA...

Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Are you plugged into shore power?

My only thought is the BIRD. The relay that connects or disconnects the chassis battery system with the house battery system. It has a time delay and a little controller to connect or disconnect based on charge state.

I really wouldn't think the thing would work with the store button engaged, but I'm not really certain how they wire that....

If not plugged in and it still happens......
either engine cooling noises?
or some kind of animal or insect?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Are you plugged into shore power?

My only thought is the BIRD. The relay that connects or disconnects the chassis battery system with the house battery system. It has a time delay and a little controller to connect or disconnect based on charge state.

I really wouldn't think the thing would work with the store button engaged, but I'm not really certain how they wire that....

If not plugged in and it still happens......
either engine cooling noises?
or some kind of animal or insect?
I think you are right about the BIRD but wrong about the STORE switch if they are plugged in to shore power, which they did not say, the STORE switch would have no effect on the BIRD trying to charge the chassis battery. If they are on shore power, the STORE switch should be in USE.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

THOR #4469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I think you are right about the BIRD but wrong about the STORE switch if they are plugged in to shore power, which they did not say, the STORE switch would have no effect on the BIRD trying to charge the chassis battery. If they are on shore power, the STORE switch should be in USE.
We are not connected to Shore Power and the USE/STORE button is in the STORE position.

In this state, the chassis battery is trying to charge the house batteries? We don't connect to Shore Power consistently, we connect when we see the house batteries getting low. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Kathleen
Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadies View Post
We are not connected to Shore Power and the USE/STORE button is in the STORE position.

In this state, the chassis battery is trying to charge the house batteries? We don't connect to Shore Power consistently, we connect when we see the house batteries getting low. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Kathleen
No, with no "charger" active there is not enough voltage on either end to activate the cross-connect relay. Must be something else.

How long does it click for? Does it stop after awhile? Could it be temperature related?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Does it occur shortly after shutting off the engine? My F-150 and my wife's Expedition both make noises as the engine cools down. It sounds like clicks. It only lasts for a few minutes, I'd say no more than 15 or so at most.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

THOR #4469
We've been home from our last trip about 3 weeks now and it hasn't stopped. It clicks once, about every 2 to 3 minutes. It doesn't sound like when you shut off a hot engine, which I equate to ticking and crackling noises. This sounds like something is trying to turn off or on. I wonder if I can record it and post it here...I'll try.

Monday we'll call the dealer and inquire with them.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #25411
Did you find what was causing the clicking? I now have a click or something sounds like it is trying to start under the front side of my 2018 Thor windsport. Maybe from the hydraulic system.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #9

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Probably the exhaust system cooling and popping as the parts contract.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #10

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadies View Post
We noticed after our last adventure out that we now have an odd "Clicking" noise coming from the engine. I have to say, it may have been happening before, but we're just noticing it now.

This noise happens when everything is in the OFF positions. i.e. engine off, USE/Store button in Store position, LP Gas off, etc. It occurs about 2 to 3 minutes apart and sounds like it's coming from the engine area.

Any ideas, besides taking it in to get it checked?

TIA...
I had the same problem. I found that the wiring to the Battery Isolation monitor was wired wrong. It is supposed to monitor the chassis battery and the cabin batteries and keep the charge state balanced. If it detects that the chassis battery is fully charged while on shore or generator power, it is supposed to disconnect it and likewise for the cabin batteries. After switching the wires on the BIM160 which is in the front engine compartment on the driver's side, the engine startup was very slow and the battery showed discharge. By being miswired, the engine was being started with the cabin batteries and I did not know that the chassis battery was going bad. The bim was constantly clicking because it sensed that the chassis battery was constantly discharging and it was trying to keep up with the voltage. It would switch and connect the power to chassis charge state and in a few minutes when the voltage would rise to normal in the chassis battery it would switch back to cabin batteries which were being kept fully charged by the onboard inverter or the generator. It only took a few minutes for the chassis battery to discharge to the trigger point of the BIM160 and would constantly cycle back and forth. The Bim has 2 heavy wires connected to the large posts.. One is supposed to come from the chassis battery and be connected to the side marked A or chassis which is on the same side as the smaller wire marked IGN. which is the engine start wire from the key switch. The other large wire is supposed to be connected to the B or cabin side which is on the same side as the small wire marked sig. or signal terminal, which is connected to the emergency power switch on the dashboard. The emergency power is supposed to be used if your starting battery is discharged and you need a battery boost to get started. In my case when the batteries were wired backwards if I hit the emergency power switch, instead of connecting the cabin batteries to the engine it was connecting the discharged chassis battery and the voltage was too low to do anything. I corrected the wiring and installed a new battery in the engine compartment, and all is well, no constant clicking, the engine starts very fast and when I hit the emergency power button, I hear the BIM 160 relay connect the cabin battery to the engine start circuit. I hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #11

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
if, when you upgrade to lithium batteries, you need to change the BIM to a LITHIUM BIM. it is under the hood, front drivers side, clearly marked.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:14 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
if, when you upgrade to lithium batteries, you need to change the BIM to a LITHIUM BIM. it is under the hood, front drivers side, clearly marked.
Since you didn't quote any post not sure who that is directed to, but just because your model Thor RV has the BIM in that location does not mean all Thor RVs have the BIM in that location.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #13

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28414
I know about the lithium battery conversion. I have a 2017 Thor AXIS 24.1 and have found many threads from people who have found the same wiring mistake. I contacted Thor tech. support and asked for a set of wiring diagrams. When I received them the same wiring mistake was shown. I called the company and spoke with one of their tech. support people and he sent a wiring diagram for the BIM 160/225 and the lithium version, which were the same. The only difference between the two different models is the threshold triggering point for the charge rate. Since I made the changes the generator and the engine starts up faster and the relay clicking sound in the BIM has stopped. I did not change to a lithium battery, I stayed with the original type of lead/acid. the only thing that I changed the battery was an upgrade from a 65 series with 650 cca to a 65 800 cca for a little more current capacity.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #14

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
sorry for your confusion ted. my reply was directed at the originator of this thread. the originator of this thread has a vegas 24.1. what more is there to say... if you have any other vehicle, my reply may not be relevant, this thread may not be relevant.
thanks for your reply Jadonato, that was information I can use.