Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post
I have an Outlaw that makes the same creaks. After reading this tread I decided to do a search and this is what I found:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf

Good Luck
We hear a lot of negativity about LCI, but they have excellent online resources and responsive tech support staff. Other OEMs could take a lesson.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #22

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post
I have an Outlaw that makes the same creaks. After reading this tread I decided to do a search and this is what I found:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf

Good Luck
THANK YOU! One more problem bites the dust. Just ordered QT and huge syringe to remove fluid.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #23

THOR #1183
After a lot of reading - the adding stiction fluid solution to popping creaking jacks makes more sense than mounting bolt torque. Temp changes cause fluid to expand and contract. Eventually enough pressure change and ram/leg moves. If ram can not move (it is sticking in place) with small pressure changes it will jump when it finally does move. The pressure change could also be from weight transfer due to walking around inside. We frequently get jerky and uneven drops when retracting jacks. Freaks DW out it is so violent sometimes. The retracting problem helps me believe jacks are sticking. Stiction fluid is a special lub that helps overcome the sticking. So what I am going do to reduce popping: #1 Always add blocks to fill void between ground and jack pad before leveling. That will reduce volume of fluid under pressure and consequently the impact of expansion and contraction due to temp changes. I have already proved that blocks help. #2 Add special anti-stiction fluid per instructions in the link above to reduce the pressure needed for ram movement. Hopefully the stiction fluid will help with the walking around part of the problem. I have ordered the recommended motorcycle fork fluid and a large syringe for removing fluid. Should be here today. To be continued.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #24

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Did my fluid change out today, sounds like it works. Time will tell on our upcoming 2 month trip.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #25

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I did have some loose, really loose, mounts. Tightened mounts, added snap pads while under the MH, and now no more creaks. I did not need to do anything with the fluid. Only creaked after all jacks were down, didn't pop like some of you described.
Thanks for the suggestions to rid me of my creaky MH.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #26

THOR #2983
After a couple of trips, motorcycle fork oil and snap pads seem to have resolved the problem. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #27

THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
After a couple of trips, motorcycle fork oil and snap pads seem to have resolved the problem. Thanks for all the input.
Did you have to tighten the mounting bolts also?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #28

THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Did you have to tighten the mounting bolts also?
No, didn't seem loose. I will check them eventually. Lazy, I guess.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I installed Snap Pads the day I picked up my RV; however, my jacks still creak a little sometimes. I was reading LCIs manual and it said something funny and so true.

"Every coach has it’s own personality and what may work to fix one coach may not work on another, even if the symptoms appear to be the same."

So true! In any event, I think I will take a look at the mounting bolts just to make sure. And as far as having your front wheels off the ground, it won't hurt anything just doesn't look right. Now if all your wheels are off the ground that would be bad but as long as your back wheels are on the ground, you will be fine. I have already been through that discussion.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Take a look at this link: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=81654.0
Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #31

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I've had the creaking and jack popping issue on our Lippert 3.0 jacks since we've had the coach. Usually, we do not start hearing it until about a week or so after we've been parked.

Per a previous recommendation, I sprayed the jacks. I used CRC High Performance Dry Lubrication with PTFE spray that I use on our slide mechanisms. Now I'm hearing the noise within a few days. So far, I would venture to say for us this did not work or I used the wrong lubricant.

Next move is to just switch out a quart of the fluid with the Anti-Stiction fluid. I hope that fixes it. This is driving me nuts.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #32

THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I've had the creaking and jack popping issue on our Lippert 3.0 jacks since we've had the coach. Usually, we do not start hearing it until about a week or so after we've been parked.

Per a previous recommendation, I sprayed the jacks. I used CRC High Performance Dry Lubrication with PTFE spray that I use on our slide mechanisms. Now I'm hearing the noise within a few days. So far, I would venture to say for us this did not work or I used the wrong lubricant.

Next move is to just switch out a quart of the fluid with the Anti-Stiction fluid. I hope that fixes it. This is driving me nuts.
I did switch out the fluid, and it helped some. I have since put on Snap pads and No creaking or popping. Jerry
Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #33

THOR #9721
Quote:
I did switch out the fluid, and it helped some. I have since put on Snap pads and No creaking or popping. Jerry
We have had Snap Pads for about 6 weeks. TBH, other than the convenience of not worrying about putting down pads where we go, I haven't seen any noticeable improvement using them.
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #34

THOR #4158
BTW got the snap pads on Amazon for $135.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #35

THOR #9721
Quote:
BTW got the snap pads on Amazon for $135.
For us, it was cheaper to buy directly off the site. https://rvsnappad.com/products/new-s...nt=23711565891
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #36

THOR #1183
Have creeking jacks. Added stiction fluid and better but still happens during long term like 3 or more weeks. At this point I just retract and re-level during monthly engine run routine.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #37

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Have creeking jacks. Added stiction fluid and better but still happens during long term like 3 or more weeks. At this point I just retract and re-level during monthly engine run routine.
When you re-level, do you pull your slides in?
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #38

THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
When you re-level, do you pull your slides in?
Nope. I guess if site was way out of level I would if I thought about it. So far just retracting jacks seems to re-lube the seals. Creeking seems to be associated with wide temp swings. Happens more early AM after sunrise and late PM after sunset. So I would guess fluid in lines is expanding/contracting with temp swings causing slight fluid pressure changes and VERY minor movement of leveling legs. We parked for almost five months last year and there was no measureable change in coach level. It is not a problem for me BUT DW always tells me when she hears creeks and as we all know if DW says there is a problem - there is.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I found out that it's not my jacks that are creaking: it's my knees!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #40

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Nope. I guess if site was way out of level I would if I thought about it. So far just retracting jacks seems to re-lube the seals. Creeking seems to be associated with wide temp swings. Happens more early AM after sunrise and late PM after sunset. So I would guess fluid in lines is expanding/contracting with temp swings causing slight fluid pressure changes and VERY minor movement of leveling legs. We parked for almost five months last year and there was no measureable change in coach level. It is not a problem for me BUT DW always tells me when she hears creeks and as we all know if DW says there is a problem - there is.
We are in Vegas this week and the temp swings are much more dramatic. That would make sense.

DW is not to bothered by the creaking, it's me actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I found out that it's not my jacks that are creaking: it's my knees!
RV Travel Bug

Tags
jacks