Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2018, 04:41 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I ordered Maxima fork oil grade 15 off of Amazon and performed this procedure this morning per this bulletin: https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

One thing about this procedure that I did I'm not 100% on is that it says "Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully." This means that my front wheels were off the ground and I felt the coat slightly shift to one side.

Perhaps it's the spot, and I am being over sensitive to this. But I think the jacks are pointing a slightly different direction. I could have sworn they used to be straight up and down.

Today was a travel day so we moved from one destination to the next. Now that we are in our new destination, it seems now that the ram portion of the jacks are slightly pointed outwards. I verified that the frame welds were still good and it doesn't appear that the frame rails are bent. I'm really not sure where the extra play would have come from to make them appear as though perhaps the weight of the MH may moved the tips of the jacks outwards.

Am I just being crazy here? I'm just concern about bending my frame rails with the jacks.

RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #42

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Just figured out another possible cause for jack noise. Tire pressure. TP will vary with daily temp changes and sun shining directly on tire. TP changes could cause small changes in tire diameter - change chassis height and thus load on jacks. End result could be slight ram movement with more movement due to walking around in coach and changing weight distribution.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #43

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Just figured out another possible cause for jack noise. Tire pressure. TP will vary with daily temp changes and sun shining directly on tire. TP changes could cause small changes in tire diameter - change chassis height and thus load on jacks. End result could be slight ram movement with more movement due to walking around in coach and changing weight distribution.
Good point. I've seen significant tire temperature changes just driving down the road when the sun is shining on one side. l

Follow up from my post. After two weeks I am happy to report that most of the creaking jack noise has gone away. I am still getting infrequent pops from my rear passenger jack. I'm going to continue to monitor. I'm optimistic it just needs to work through the system a bit more with a few more moves.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #44

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
As mentioned if I use the auto level setting on my Hurricane it
raises the front end too high (wheels off the ground).

So I have gone to using the manual settings and place a level on
the floor or counter top to get the rig level. Works much better.
The thor manual tells in detail how to recalibrate your levelers. It's one of the better things they explain in there.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 PM   #45

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Not a motorhome, but on our 5er they recommended with all jacks & slides (if hydraulic) retracted then remove 1qt of the fluid from the reservoir & replace/top off with 1qt of 15w motorcycle fork oil & then cycle slides/jacks 2-3 times to mix in the new oil & work any air out. Worked on mine, no more popping/creaking.
Never heard of using anything but the standard hydraulic fluid....never oil. Sounds strange.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Never heard of using anything but the standard hydraulic fluid....never oil. Sounds strange.
Fork oil is a type of hydraulic fluid just as hydraulic fluid is a type of oil. The procedure Travelen'Texans described is recommended by Lippert using ant-stiction fork oil. I did it to my coach 4 years ago.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:58 AM   #47

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Fork oil is a type of hydraulic fluid just as hydraulic fluid is a type of oil. The procedure Travelen'Texans described is recommended by Lippert using ant-stiction fork oil. I did it to my coach 4 years ago.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:05 AM   #48

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
All of our creaking and more aptly clicking was when walking around the MH. I started putting 2'x2' x3/4" exterior plywood landing pads under the jacks and all the clicking went bye.
As an aside I wanted to add the snap pads to eliminate crawling around putting down lumber but so far this spring I have tried several places online including Snap pad and they are out of stock
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:25 AM   #49

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Been around for awhile... 2013 and then again in 2018 to be exact.
Lippert Notice
Old 04-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #50

State: California
THOR #17713
I had the same problem on my Thor Tuscany.it was suggested that I get rv jack pads,and after I pull or back into my site hit the switch to lower the coach
Then lower jacks.problem
SOLVED
Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #51

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
THANK YOU! One more problem bites the dust. Just ordered QT and huge syringe to remove fluid.
Borrow mama's turkey baster..[emoji6][emoji2960][emoji2958]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #52

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Geez with everybody buying up motorhomes it's even hard to get aftermarket goodies. My Snap Pads finally came in today 6 weeks after I placed the order!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #53

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The previous Motorhome we had did it all the time, more when the jacks are up a bit higher. More as it got older.

Turns out the noise is the effect of taking the weight off of the springs (Air bag guys ignore this). You are lifting the body and the weight off of the springs and when you walk around inside or the wind blows the body moves and the springs creak back and forth. There is isolator pads on most springs but that does not help to reduce the noise.

After a day or so in camp it is mostly reduced because the springs have found a spot to sit where movement doesn't make them rub on each other. When you break camp and retract the jacks, you most likely hear some sound from the springs.

Harden steel springs make some interesting noises sometimes.

Tags
jacks