Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 40 GQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #5004
Engine oil

What is recommended engine oil for a 2016 Tuscany 40XTE (360 hp)?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I see no one has answered you. And either can I, but if you look at your oil cap, it should say right on it. And.....welcome to the forum.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Shell Rotella diesel oil, and it takes a LOT for an oil change. Had a Tuscany with 360 hp Cummins and loved it, decided to downsize.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany XTE
State: Manitoba
THOR #4290
What is recommended engine oil for a 2016 Tuscany 40XTE (360 hp)?

018-003 Lubricating Oil Recommendations and Specifications

Table of Contents

General Information
New Engine Break-in Oils
AfterMarket Oil Additive Usage

General Information
TOC
https://quickserve.cummins.com/rtgra.../u/caut_sm.png CAUTION https://quickserve.cummins.com/rtgra.../u/caut_sm.png

Extending the oil and filter change interval beyond the recommendations will decrease the engine life due to factors such as corrosion, deposits, and wear.

The use of quality engine lubricating oils, combined with appropriate oil drain and filter change intervals, is a critical factor in maintaining engine performance and durability. Extending the oil and filter change interval beyond the recommendations will decrease engine life due to factors such as corrosion, deposits, and wear. Use the following procedure to determine which oil drain interval to use for an application. Refer to Procedure 102-002 in Section 2.

NOTE: The responsibility is with the owner. If recommendations are ignored, warranty could be affected.

API: American Petroleum Institute

CES: Cummins® Engineering Standard

Cummins Inc. allows, for midrange applications, the use of lubricating oils that meet or exceed CES 20078 or CES 20081 with no change in oil drain interval. But, if a non-low ash lubricating oil meeting the Cummins® Engineering Standard (CES) classification CEA 20078 is used, the service interval(s) for the aftertreatment system will be reduced. Refer to Procedure 102-002 in Section 2.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/rtgra...d/07d00259.png
SMALL | MEDIUM | LARGE

To determine if the lubricating oil meets CES 20078 or CES 20081, review the label on the back of the lubricating oil bottle for the CES 20078 or CES 20081 reference. If acquiring the lubricating oil in bulk, contact the supplier for the lubricating oil specifications and confirm that the oil meets CES 20078 or CES 20081.

Also located on the lubricating oil bottle is the API service symbol, which is shown in the accompanying illustration. The upper half of the symbol displays the appropriate oil categories. The center section identifies the SAE oil viscosity grade. The table below shows how the Cummins® Engineering Standard (CES) compares to the American Petroleum Institute (API) classification.

Cummins® Engineering Standard Classifications (CES)
American Petroleum Institute Classification (API)
Comments
CES-20071, CES-20072, CES-20076, CES-20077
API CH-4/SJ
Not recommended. Lubricating oil drain interval must be reduced by 50 percent. Aftertreatment maintenance interval will be reduced.
CES-20078
CI-4/SL
Aftertreatment maintenance interval will be reduced.
CES-20081
CJ-4/SL
Maximum aftertreatment maintenance interval. No change in lubricating oil drain interval.
NOTE: A lubricating oil that meets the American Petroleum Institute (API) performance classification CJ-4/SL may not meet the CES 20081 requirement. Always make sure that the lubricating oil used meets the CES 20081 requirement in addition to the API performance classification CJ-4/SL.

Cummins Inc. recommends the use of a high-quality SAE 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil, such as Valvoline Premium Blue™.

NOTE: If a non-low ash lubricating oil meeting the American Petroleum Institute (API) performance classification CI-4/SK and/or CES 20078 is used, the service intervals for the aftertreatment systems will be reduced.

The primary Cummins Inc. recommendation is for the use of 15W-40 multigrade lubricating oil for normal operation at ambient temperatures above -15°C [5°F]. The use of multigrade oil reduces deposit formation, improves engine cranking in low temperature conditions, and increases engine durability by maintaining lubrication during high temperature operating conditions. Since multigrade oils have been shown to provide approximately 30 percent lower oil consumption than monograde oils, it is important to use multigrade oils.

Use of "synthetic engine oils" (those made with API group 3 or group 4 base stocks) is permitted, subject to the same performance and viscosity limitations of petroleum (mineral) based engine oils. The same oil change intervals that are applied to petroleum (mineral) based engine oils must be applied to synthetic oils.

For further details and discussion of engine lubricating oils for Cummins® engines, refer to the latest revision of Cummins® Engine Oil Recommendations, Bulletin 3810340.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/rtgra...d/07d00260.png
SMALL | MEDIUM | LARGE

While the preferred viscosity grade is 15W-40, lower viscosity multigrade oils can be used in colder climates. See the accompanying chart. Any viscosity grade lower than 15W-40 must still meet CES 20081.

Synthetic engine oils, API Group III and Group IV basestocks, are recommended for use in Cummins® engines operating in ambient temperature conditions consistently below -25°C [-13°F]. Synthetic 0W-30 oils that meet the requirements of API Group III or Group IV basestocks, can be used in operations where the ambient temperature never exceeds 0°C [32°F]. Multiviscosity oils rated 0W-30 do not offer the same level of protection against fuel dilution as do higher multigrade oils. Higher cylinder wear can be experienced when using 0W-30 oils in high-load situations.

As these oils have directionally thinner oil films than 15W-40 oils, top-quality Fleetguard® filters must be used above 20°C [70°F]. Some oil suppliers might claim better fuel economy for these oils. Cummins Inc. can neither approve nor disapprove any product not manufactured by Cummins Inc. These claims are between the customer and the oil supplier. Obtain a commitment from the oil supplier that the oil will give satisfactory performance in Cummins® engines, or do not use the oil.

New Engine Break-in Oils
TOC
Special break-in engine lubricating oils are not recommended for new or rebuilt Cummins® engines. Use the same type of oil during the break-in period as is to be used in normal operation.

AfterMarket Oil Additive Usage
TOC
Cummins Inc. does not recommend the use of aftermarket oil additives. Present high-quality fully additive engine lubricating oils are very sophisticated, with precise amounts of additives blended into the lubricating oil to meet stringent requirements. These oils meet performance characteristics that conform to the lubricant industry standards. Aftermarket lubricating oil additives are not necessary to enhance engine oil performance, and in some cases, can reduce the finished oil's ability to protect the engine.

Last Modified: 06-Sep-2012
Copyright © 2000-2010 Cummins Inc. All rights reserved.

Joseph Rocchietti
Cummins Inc.
2501 McGavock pk. Suite 302
Nashville Tn. 37214
800-Diesel
615-871-5188 Ext 8188
Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I used 15W-40 in my diesel engines (truck, motor home, tractor). My usual choice was Rotella.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Windsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Shell Rotella diesel oil, and it takes a LOT for an oil change. Had a Tuscany with 360 hp Cummins and loved it, decided to downsize.
How do you like your Windsport? Thinking of going bigger.

Kev
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post

Kev
The size of the Windsport is good for maneuvering and parking. We've had several problems with it over the past two years. However persistance, and in some cases money have solved most of the problems. The latest project is to replace the hide-a-bed dinette seat with something more comfortable and less torchersome. I will post the results.

The engine has good power, except on extreme hills in the Rockies. Handling is Ok, just remember it's an RV and not a pickup truck. Fuel mileage is poor, but they all are I guess.

The flush type awning windows don't offer much ventilation.

Because of the poor quality control and cheap components, I'd stay away from the Windsport.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Because of the poor quality control and cheap components, I'd stay away from the Windsport.
You would be staying away from the entire RV industry then...
Many examples of similar quality from even the high end coaches.

Quote:
I have a 2014 Hurricane (cousin of Windsport) - and overall am happy with it. Have had some issues I really shouldn't at this point in its life - but again that is the industry.
For us it is the right size and right floor plan - and that really is what drove our decision to upgrade from our 2000 Infinity when we bought this.

You are changing to the F53 chassis coming from the Vegas/Axis cousins - so it will handle differently. More length and weight to be aware of. Go test drive one and see what you think!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #9

THOR #5196
Quote:

Kev
My wife and I love our Windsport!!! We have taken one very long trip and two shorter trips with no complaints. A couple of very minor problems have occurred, fixed them myself. My wife loves being able to sit up front with the huge windshield, at the dining table with the big side window, or occasionally go back and take a nap while I'm driving, lots of room to move around even with the slide closed!

Stay away from Windsport, I don't think so!!! I could have chosen any MH I wanted, we chose Thor and the Windsport because of our previous Thor. Couldn't be happier with our choice. Is it perfect, no, but half the fun for me is doing mods to make it an even better coach.

Get on other forums and read about the experiences people have with other brands, you'll read the exact same complaints!!! I've been RVing for almost 40 years so I think I can speak with some experience!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Couldn't be happier with our choice. Is it perfect, no, but half the fun for me is doing mods to make it an even better coach.

Get on other forums and read about the experiences people have with other brands, you'll read the exact same complaints!!! I've been RVing for almost 40 years so I think I can speak with some experience!
Agreed. I am thoroughly enjoying my Hurricane, and could have gone much higher end. I have a few relatively minor warranty issues being taken care of, but am happy overall with my Thor. I, too, enjoy doing the mods myself, and have no regrets about my purchase.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #11
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Windsport

Thanks guys for all the input. We are excited about getting a coach with more room. We love our Vegas and it is great for short trips but for longer trips we would like something a little bigger. I also love the outside kitchen and auto gen.
We would feel better about leaving the dog in the coach in the summer.

Kev
Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

THOR #5196
Kev, I love the outside kitchen too! We use the outside fridge for storage of extra food items but don't have it plugged in. I added a paper towel rack, keep BBQ tools and grilling spices, and a small flashlight stored handy to use. I'm 6-2 and have no problems standing under the open door, what a great feature to have!

I'm excited for you!!!