Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Factory Service & Satisfaction???

Ok folks I am not trolling or complaining about the Thor Factory!!! I live in Canada and bought my used Freedom Elite 23H in Florida a year ago. I have a number of issues and no local dealer. Some of my issues are battle damage, others wear and tear, or poor assembly. The cost of shipping parts to my address is ridiculous because of UPS and the Thor factory parts orders are all shipped UPS to Canada even when you tell the ordering dealer not to. Looking at booking a trip to the factory in Indiana to get a number of things fixed, installed. Is it worth the trip? Are they good or just frustrating. It is a 2000 mile each way trip. Gas works out to 50 cents a mile. Any idea what their shop rates are like?

I have restored and owned a number of Winnebago campervans and Rialtas and found the Winnebago factory workmanship to be excellent and parts availability was instant and if they did not have it they made it in 24 to 48 hours!!! Each time I left their factory service center in Forest City Iowa even more impressed than the last time. Great people and a good product. We bought our used Thor after our previous Winnie was written off in an accident.

I hear lots of whining, complaining, and cursing about Camping World and personally simply don't have a center nearby I trust. My nearest camping world is 1000 miles away.

SO is the trip to Walkarusa worth it? Pros, Cons?

Rocky In Northern Alberta, Canada

Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ter-11158.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...rusa-8230.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ence-6233.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #3

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I've been to the service center three times with various minor issues. Each time was a very good experience. They have hook ups available if you need to stay a couple of days.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
We were last there in February 2018. They were still posting a $100.00 per hour labor cost. That's below most dealers. We have been there twice and taking the new Hurricane in this coming July.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
With my Palazzo, I visited them and was very impressed with the people and the work they did. Far superior than the selling dealer who is one of the largest in the US. Treat the trip like a mini vacation and spend time enjoying the country.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
I returned from the factory yesterday, and can say nothing negative about my experience. Everyone I came in contact with was courteous and knowledgeable.
I will need another trip as they discovered work that wasn't anticipated, but they assured me that I can take the Family across country on our planned trip soon!!
To THOR's credit, they are putting some other Miramar owners in a motel for a couple of days when their coach can't be slept in. A pretty stand up move, I would say!!
Worth the time involved!! Met wonderful other THOR owners and shared some fun stories.....
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if your service is at the Service Center in Wakarusa, then YES, you will like the environment there, the free elec and water hookups, all on a nicely paved parking area, and the center is solely for warranty and repairs - no sales - so everything is geared toward getting your coach taken care of - even if it takes several days.
They pick up your coach about 7am, and return it around 2 to 3pm. Stay as long as you like, even if they get it all handled in a single day, which is not uncommon.

While you have your coach in for service, you have the option of hanging around the customer center/office, with Wifi and couches, or you can take your toad and take in some of the factory tours in the area, including TMC(Thor Motor Coach) diesels and gas Class As, Newmar Class As just down the road in Nappannee, or drive up the road to Elkhart where you'll find most everything else.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
if your service is at the Service Center in Wakarusa, then YES, you will like the environment there, the free elec and water hookups, all on a nicely paved parking area, and the center is solely for warranty and repairs - no sales - so everything is geared toward getting your coach taken care of - even if it takes several days.
They pick up your coach about 7am, and return it around 2 to 3pm. Stay as long as you like, even if they get it all handled in a single day, which is not uncommon.

While you have your coach in for service, you have the option of hanging around the customer center/office, with Wifi and couches, or you can take your toad and take in some of the factory tours in the area, including TMC(Thor Motor Coach) diesels and gas Class As, Newmar Class As just down the road in Nappannee, or drive up the road to Elkhart where you'll find most everything else.
It is not only for warranty repairs. When I visited last year I was two years out of warranty and a paid customer. They will gladly take your $$ to work on your coach; even doing mods for you at the tune of $100/hour if I remember correctly.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:48 PM   #9

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Factory Service

TurnerFam is correct, these guys are great. Been there three times and made the decision to purchase a second new Thor class A based their service. They have 26 free campsites and it is just like a normal campground with families visiting. They have sixty techs in five buildings, although some do off the assembly line punch list repairs. The service manager is a stand up guy.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #10

THOR #8995
Factory Service

Some tips, make sure you get an appointment well in advance with an email of all the repairs and details to them so they can have parts available when you arrive. Their parts are next door for many parts.

Do not go in the dead of winter, like I did with -14 degree temps and their water all frozen. But if you do they will let you fill your gallon water jugs in the waiting lobby. Been there done that!

Rate was still 100 an hour a few months ago.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
Some tips, make sure you get an appointment well in advance with an email of all the repairs and details to them so they can have parts available when you arrive. Their parts are next door for many parts.

Do not go in the dead of winter, like I did with -14 degree temps and their water all frozen. But if you do they will let you fill your gallon water jugs in the waiting lobby. Been there done that!

Rate was still 100 an hour a few months ago.
LOL! I also went in February but I got lucky: It was in the 60s all the week I was there.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:59 PM   #12

THOR #8995
Factory Service

One last comment....this shop experience is better than any other RV or Auto shop I have used. It also will likely be the deciding factor when I move up next time to a Class diesel pusher.
Seems all RV brands have these problems and repairs required, but the service sets them all apart.