Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
gemini sets low in rear

Hello to everyone, I have a 2017 Gemini 23T on the ford transit chassis but it seems to set very low in the rear.Looking to raise it any help?
thx in advance

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca

Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
No help Mike, just a suggestion. If you haven't done it already, weigh the motorhome first to confirm that it's not sitting low because it may be overloaded. That would be a very different problem.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Another question, did it sit low prior to your loading it, or did it gradually sink as you loaded?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #4

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Another question, did it sit low prior to your loading it, or did it gradually sink as you loaded?
thx for the reply,It has set low from day 1,I have very little items in it
Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
Old 05-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

THOR #5821
Ok, take it either to a good frame shop, or to the dealer and have them measure frame height off the ground, to determine if its within specs. If not you have an issue with Ford, if so, contact Thor for specs as to how high the body they built onto the Ford chassis should be.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
thx for the reply,It has set low from day 1,I have very little items in it
Mike
Bakersfield,Ca
Mike, I'd get it weighed first. If it's overloaded, or simply much heavier in rear than front, it's not going to be Ford's problem. Unfortunately, at times RV manufacturers produce brand new motorhomes that are near or above chassis ratings. This happened with some early ProMaster Class Cs, and occassionally with larger units too.

The 23TR is 23'-6" long with a 156-inch wheelbase, meaning rear overhang is just over 7 feet. With the slide sitting over the very rear of coach, it would not surprise me if it's on heavy side at rear axle. And if so, that can make front axle lighter (higher), making the rear of coach appear even lower.

And if it turns out axle weights are well within specs, then you can use that information to correct problem. Everyone should get their RV weighed anyway, so I'd start there. Good luck, hope it works out.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

THOR #5821
Having your coach weighed is indeed good advice for everyone, but if yours is virtually unloaded, your weight should be very very close to the specs put out by Thor for the unloaded vehicle weight. Even if you are right at the GCVW you should not be stressing the suspension, if it is, its a Ford issue, that is if the frame measures low. If the frame measures at the right height, you need Thor specs of at what height the rear of the MH structure they built on the Ford frame should be. If the frame measures ok, but the MH is low, and you are not over the GCVW and your load is fairly evenly distributed, (rear axle not overloaded) your issue is with Thor's mounting of the MH on the frame. Of course its possible everything is within specs and its a perception issue. I can only comment about ours, which is on a different chassis, then yours, but even after loading ours, with quite a bit of stuff, there is no visual difference in height or ground clearance, from when it was empty, which visually is level.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

THOR #5821
One more check, park it on level ground, and check it with a level inside, to see if the motorhome is level.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Having your coach weighed is indeed good advice for everyone, but if yours is virtually unloaded, your weight should be very very close to the specs put out by Thor for the unloaded vehicle weight. Even if you are right at the GCVW you should not be stressing the suspension, if it is, its a Ford issue, that is if the frame measures low. If the frame measures at the right height, you need Thor specs of at what height the rear of the MH structure they built on the Ford frame should be. If the frame measures ok, but the MH is low, and you are not over the GCVW and your load is fairly evenly distributed, (rear axle not overloaded) your issue is with Thor's mounting of the MH on the frame. Of course its possible everything is within specs and its a perception issue. I can only comment about ours, which is on a different chassis, then yours, but even after loading ours, with quite a bit of stuff, there is no visual difference in height or ground clearance, from when it was empty, which visually is level.
Ford specs show 25.4 to 25.7 inches loaded. That's easy enough to check with a tape measure to see if it's even close to that.

Other than defective (out of spec) leaf springs, I don't see a likely scenario where this will end up being a Ford problem.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #10

THOR #5821
Chance, I don't disagree with you, but part of trouble shooting any issue with potential multiple causes, is always to eliminate the things for sure it is not. The likelihood that Fords springs are defective is remote, but must be eliminated as a possibility, or demonstrated that they are the, or part of the problem.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #11

THOR #7466
sets low in rear

Thx to everyone for all the good advise.

Mike
Bakersfield,Ca