Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Lots of good ideas and info in this thread. I like the inverter generator and electric heater system because it has less noise. I wake up each time the forced air furnace blower kicks on. Those receiver carriers can be an option. Choosing the correct toad is important. If you pick one that you can load an inverter generator and fuel in or on. I see toads with receiver carriers on the back. Many decisions to be made. To me inverter generators are like hydraulic levelers, you don’t really need them but once I had them, I will always want them.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Disagreeing isn't getting pissed. You don't have that ability. On certain subjects you refuse to accept any other option other than your own closet theory. Your thread always wind down to your personal values and claim that as the rule. I've been boondocking for years at racetracks and other event stuff and will tell you...you are wrong. Portables are very popular and widely used. You always turn threads into an argument when people don't take your ideas as Gospel. You don't bother me because many here have been in these threads with you as long as me and silently put you in the category you develop for yourself. I hate to break this to you so late on a Friday...please don't let it spoil your weekend. I'm out. Oh, BTW, you're wrong.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
No — but threatening me with physical violence was. If that’s not getting pissed I don’t know what is.

I have the ability to read fuel consumption charts, and see that Onan, Honda, and Champion know a hell of a lot more than you about their generators. Even your own data posted in one thread doesn’t support your claims of fuel savings compared to diesel inverter generator when running one or two A/Cs.

You have a horrible case of confirmation bias regarding portable inverter generators, and are afraid to discuss issue objectively for fear of being proven wrong. Or worse.

Whatever. Enjoy your 4 generators. Must be a badge of honor at race track.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Disagreeing isn't getting pissed. You don't have that ability. On certain subjects you refuse to accept any other option other than your own closet theory. Your thread always wind down to your personal values and claim that as the rule. I've been boondocking for years at racetracks and other event stuff and will tell you...you are wrong. Portables are very popular and widely used. You always turn threads into an argument when people don't take your ideas as Gospel. You don't bother me because many here have been in these threads with you as long as me and silently put you in the category you develop for yourself. I hate to break this to you so late on a Friday...please don't let it spoil your weekend. I'm out. Oh, BTW, you're wrong.

I not so “silently” agree with you Fitz..
Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Well, if anyone here has better substantiated data than Onan, Honda, and Champion publish for their equipment, let’s see it.

In my case my portable inverter generator burns exactly what is published by manufacturer. I have no reason to doubt manufacturer data measured with accurate instruments under controlled conditions.

Fuel consumption data is very clear and consistent across many manufacturers. You’d have to be nuts to ignore it all.

And please, before jumping into this crap, note we’re disagreeing between diesel inverter and gasoline inverter generators, not one of the cheaper 4,000 or 5,500 fixed-speed Onans. His diesel inverter generator is one of the most fuel efficient generators made for RVs. If he doesn’t want to use it, that’s his business, but don’t mislead others. That’s just wrong.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
think about it this way:
What is different about the nighttime; that might make your generator more prone to killing you with it's exhaust fumes?

Answer: absolutely nothing...

Although the noise may keep you awake at night.
See if you can run it right up until bedtime, and then shut it down...
agreed....well almost. The difference is that in the daytime, it would be presumed you will be at least semi-conscious at least most of the time...but at night maybe not so much....
you you may not be so quick to notice that exhaust fume smell....or the dizzy headache coming on...

That said, I think it's like any other risk that can be mitigated. The Genturi helps. Also, as in my case, I'd probably roll in the slide that the generator sits under to better seal up all those cracks and leaks into the cabin.

Also...in my experience the majority of the time it's really not necessary to run it all night....just like it's not necessary to run the furnace all night. Get the house cooled down (or warmed up) before bed. turn on a fan in the summer or crawl under and extra blanket, and you'll be fine at least most of the night in most areas and most seasons anyway.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Hey guys...let's take a step back. This is an "opinion forum" and we are all welcome to our own. I try to listen and learn from the experience of others but sooo much is defined by personal preference.

I respect the opinions of pretty much everyone on here that gives serious advice but like I always tell anyone that asks for mine, "it is worth what you paid for it and comes with a money back guarantee."

I appreciate both of you on this forum...
Old 11-17-2018, 04:28 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
I not so “silently” agree with you Fitz..

Ooops Gritz
Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #29

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Help me understand how you connect the portable inverter generator to the coach? Note: I do not own RV yet. But I do own a 3500 KW Sinemate Portable Generator that I wired to a transfer switch to my house. It is my favorite toy as I fire it up to the house every time the lights blink. It is plugs to house transfer switch with 30 amp connection. I assume my RV would be 50 amp service? I don't think my generator will do 240?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #30

THOR #11130
You need an adapter of some type depending on your generator. Both of my portable setups have the 3 prong 30A RV female plug. I use a 50A to 30A adapter. I use the Champion 3100 for short use like a few hours. I also have 2 Honda 2000's with the parallel kit (4000W) and the BERGS extended run fuel system. Works great and SAVES TONS OF GAS...regardless of what others may believe. I say this from extensive experience, not theory. Seeing is believing.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Oops what...did you pass gas?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #32

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You need an adapter of some type depending on your generator. Both of my portable setups have the 3 prong 30A RV female plug. I use a 50A to 30A adapter. I use the Champion 3100 for short use like a few hours. I also have 2 Honda 2000's with the parallel kit (4000W) and the BERGS extended run fuel system. Works great and SAVES TONS OF GAS...regardless of what others may believe. I say this from extensive experience, not theory. Seeing is believing.
Thanks I have 3 prong 30A RV female plug as well. If I follow; you are saying I can buy a 50A to 30A adapter? Then I can plug the 50A portion from my portable generator directly into RV's side inbound 50A service port. That would be simple enough. I was thinking that would be underpower the service in the internal RV and put me at risk of burning something up? if that is not an issue, I guess I could use the 50A to 30A adapter to connect to 30A shoreline service assuming 50A was not available.

What I like about this is that every month or so I struggle to find ways to use my portable generator. By connecting to RV, it would give me more opportunities to use portable generator more as I have had for years and it is easy to maintain.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #33

THOR #11130
This is what I use...you can even add the 30A to 15/20A adapter to the end of this if all you need to run is something small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 t0 30.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	14131