Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
Generator does not start.

Generator worked great last week, this week will not start. Built in Cummings Onan RV QG 5500. House batteries fully charged. Engine on/off. Checked house fuses nothing even shows generator Fuse. Oil full.

Any ideas on what else it might be?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Gas, diesel or propane?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

THOR #15498
Gas RV gas, seems generator works jacks don't and vice-versa. Bought used few weeks back, living the new used ownership blues.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Mine propane so I probably can't help you out much, but just for kicks how much fuel is in the RV's tank. Below a certain level I have been told the generator will not run. Safety measure to prevent running out of fuel for the engine.

Secondly is the store/use switch in the use position ?
Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #5

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
My gas generator will not run if tank is below 1/4 quarter.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
When you prime it, can you hear a noise! After about 5 seconds, you should hear a low whirring sound. I have to prime mine two or three times for 30-45 seconds each time before it will start.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #7

THOR #15498
Full tank of gas, no power to generator, jacks say low voltage. Like half circuit or Fuse blown.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Not sure what rig you have but I have an Outlaw 29H Class C.

Under my rig mounted to my battery box are three 100A breakers. I know that one of those breakers is the power to the Levelers. If you trip the breaker, you will get the Low Voltage message on the control pad.

I also believe there is another 100A breaker for the generator.

I would look for those breakers and make sure they are not tripped.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #9

State: Colorado
THOR #11274
mine won't start either

LP 3.6 KY Onan model. It won't start - it acts like it is not getting fuel. Tank over 1/2 full. Getting flash of 3 3.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

THOR #15498
Thank you everyone, with the rain yesterday and still today, I have been unable to get under the rig to look for circuit breaker as per Judge, I hope there's one there.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #11

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Will it crank and not start, or not crank at all? My Onan 4000 would crank but not start, and it turned out to be a bad ignition coil. The generator was less than a year old and had about 50 hours on it when this happened.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #12

THOR #15498
Thank you all again, I found the 50amp breakers that feed the jacks, generator and the power inverter,well 1/2 of the converter. 1 easy find in the front under the hood, the 2nd hiddin in the battery compartment. Really hidden well. If there is a third one, I have no idea where it is at.

So thank you all again.

Mike
Old 06-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #13

THOR #15498
Thank, you judge, you're the one that got me looking for the breakers. Once it stopped raining and dried out a bit.
����
Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
When you prime it, can you hear a noise! After about 5 seconds, you should hear a low whirring sound. I have to prime mine two or three times for 30-45 seconds each time before it will start.

I was just reading through this posting and noted that you have to prime several times for at least 30 seconds each time to start. I assume this is with a cold gen? If yes, I would suggest checking your choke position because I suspect there is a problem with its cold position (not closing when you try to start cold) or the choke linkage is jammed and is not allowing the choke plate to close when the gen is cold. My ACE came from the factory with the choke out of adjustment and I had this same problem before investigating. I now prime for 10 seconds and it fires up with the first second crank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Cold Choke Plate Closed 2.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	18450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Cold Choke Closed.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	18451  

Name:	Engine Hot Choke Plate Full Open.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	18452  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #15

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dls100 View Post
LP 3.6 KY Onan model. It won't start - it acts like it is not getting fuel. Tank over 1/2 full. Getting flash of 3 3.

Another person posting on this original problem......you say you have code 33 but I wonder if you are actually getting the “” secondary true trouble code? The 3 flash may just indicate there is a secondary error code stored and you may need to press the local gen stop button once to retrieve the actual code........or if the flashing has stopped, you may need to press local gen stop button 3 times within 5 seconds to retrieve the last stored secondary trouble code (See bottom of my info). I am attaching the code retrieval info from the Onan KY 4kw gen Operator Manual Section 4 below (I assume it may also apply to your situation):

Three blinks indicates a service fault. Press Stop once to cause the two-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop the blinking.)The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3 or 4 blinks, a brief pause, and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example, Fault Code No. 36 appears as:
blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink...

Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 15 to 20 seconds without the engine starting.

Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults. Avoid interpreting them as second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assigned as fault codes.

Restoring Fault Code Blinking − The fault code stops blinking after five minutes. Press Stop three times within five seconds to restore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after the condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #16

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I was just reading through this posting and noted that you have to prime several times for at least 30 seconds each time to start. I assume this is with a cold gen? If yes, I would suggest checking your choke position because I suspect there is a problem with its cold position (not closing when you try to start cold) or the choke linkage is jammed and is not allowing the choke plate to close when the gen is cold. My ACE came from the factory with the choke out of adjustment and I had this same problem before investigating. I now prime for 10 seconds and it fires up with the first second crank.

One more picture I should have included with my previous choke position jpegs, is the choke adjusting plate end of the choke linkage. This shows the position that works for my 4kw KY gen, but might be different for others based on linkage/spring tension etc. If you get the choke closed position working again then you have to also make sure the gen hot position has the choke fully open too. The pictures should help anyone with choke issues at least see approx where the choke should be for the KY.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Choke Adjusting Plate Corrected Position.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	18463  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
Thank you javelin. I have the same long prime time problem with my 4.0 onan gas gen. I will look and see if the choke is jammed or what not. Once started it seems to run fine but I also go though 2-3 prime cycles before it will start.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #18

THOR #2631
Sorry to take over this thread with a couple gen related side issues, but I think Wolf8U sounded like he found his tripped breaker(s) OK. Also when I saw other comments on the thread with problems.....it is important to help other RVers where possible.

I hope the pictures of my gen choke positions helps others because the Onan manual info on the choke adjustments seems pretty sketchy with no real quality pictures etc. I found that loosening the nut on the choke adjusting plate (located over the heat riser tube) was awkward because the gen body interferes with a straight on nutdriver. With some care you can undo the nut enough to allow adjustment rotation of the choke adjuster plate. Then retighten the nut and see if the choke plate snaps shut when you first try to start the gen again. Also ensure the linkage moves freely.

The MCU controller in the gen operates the throttle linkage which should trigger the choke plate to close. If the choke closes properly after the adjustment you will also need to ensure that it fully opens quickly with engine heat, otherwise the gen will be starved for air under coach loads. Note that the positioning of the choke adjustment plate will vary ......choke spring age and ambient air temp are considerations. If it is very warm outside when first starting the gen cold, the choke may not close as fast or fully as when you are in cooler climates. To fully test the cold operation after choke adjustment......requires a cold engine (or even overnight) to be sure you have fixed the start.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Thanks javelin, you were right. My choke is not closing when I prime the generator. I can manually close the choke and the generator starts fine. My RV is in a tight place where it is difficult to get at it, so I will wait until I get home to work on it, but at least I can easily start it now. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #20

THOR #2631
That is good news. I actually don't recall which direction I turned my choke adjuster plate to correct the failure of the choke on the carb to close when cold and cranking the gen. I know I did not have to turn it very much to get it to the position shown in my jpeg of the adjuster plate. This will reduce the wear and tear on that starter motor and start switch for sure. Glad you mentioned that issue in your post. I'll bet there are lots of folks having this issue right from the factory and don't know how to tell which position the choke plate on the carb is in (and no one wants to take the air filter etc off to see).