Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #13923
Go Power! Inverter Problems

I am having problems with my 2018 A.C.E. 30.3 Go Power! inverter that runs my main refrigerator. When I turn the refrigerator on, the refrigerator kicks off and sometimes it is accompanied by the Go Power! inverter alarming. Planning on a week-long trip next week and have to have the main refrigerator or else. Not enough time to put it in the shop at Camping World again. Help!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I didn't know an ACE came with a residential refrigerator and inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 AM   #3

THOR #13923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I didn't know an ACE came with a residential refrigerator and inverter.
Actually I was disappointed in not having a electric/gas refrigerator; the 30.3 has a small all electric refrigerator that runs off a separate Go Power! Inverter that they tuck up under the sink cabinet. On our first outing we constantly lost power to the refrigerator; it took forever for me to hear the slight beeping of the inverter telling me that something was wrong.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Not knowing anything about your unit. I would suggest checking all the wiring to make sure the connections are tight. I had a problem with my invertor that was caused by loose connections. Then my question is does the refig. work when plugged in to shore power. Somewhere you have to have a transfer connection for power be it 120 or 12v. I would find that and check the connections. You may want to check your battery charger that's tied to the converter maybe its not keeping the batteries charged. The more I am thinking about this the more I can see a wiring nightmare.

Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will come to give you a better idea.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
My 2018 32.1 uses the 1K Go Power inverter and a Danby residential fridge. The inverter is wired directly to the battery bank and uses a 100A manual reset circuit breaker located in your battery bay. It should be the circuit breaker with one load wire, the other, two load wires, 100A is for the generator and jacks. As stated above, tight corrosion free connections at both termination points and charged batteries are needed by the inverter.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
My 2018 32.1 uses the 1K Go Power inverter and a Danby residential fridge. The inverter is wired directly to the battery bank and uses a 100A manual reset circuit breaker located in your battery bay. It should be the circuit breaker with one load wire, the other, two load wires, 100A is for the generator and jacks. As stated above, tight corrosion free connections at both termination points and charged batteries are needed by the inverter.
This is from a 2018 ACE 32.1. The first picture shows the circuit breakers. The second picture is a upgrade I did to replace the basic switch. I can tell you if my batteries are being charged (left illuminated lights), alternator (currently charging) or converter, and I have easy to see warning lights. The right bar, fridge is off, shows start up and run power in percent. The grid and power saver feature are unavailable on this inverter and unused.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_191739.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	16631Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_115654.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	16632
Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I experienced the same symptoms in my '14 Palazzo back in 2018... and while it worked perfectly for the first 4 years, it would start to suddenly 'shut off' when the fridge's compressor kicked on.

After a lot of research and trial and error in thinking that it 'must' be something with the inverter, or some or in-line device, like a relay or solenoid, it was simply a battery cell going bad.
I purchased a small cheap 'specific gravity' bulb tester, and found that one of my four 6v batteries had two cells that were too low.

These low cells were causing the whole battery bank to suddenly drop too low when the fridge's compressor kicked on, making the Inverter think that it had lost it's 12v power from the batteries, causing it to immediately shut down. No alerts, nothing.

After removing the suspect battery, draining it, refilling it with distilled water, running it thru several charging cycles, draining it again, and refilling it with battery fluid(found easily at the auto parts store), and running it thru several more full charging cycles, it was again back to it's 'old self'. I reinstalled it and now have no more 'shut offs' from the Inverter : )

It's a battery thing.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Reads like you have a low battery volts. On start up if the batteries can't keep up with demand the inverter could fault out for low volts. If you're not on shore power start the generator or maybe the coach engine and try again. And don't forget a residential fridge will stay cold for hours as long as you limit opening the door.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #9

THOR #13923
Talking Thank you to all that posted.

After trial and error, isolating the problem, checking using 50 amp shore power at campsites, I 'bit the bullet' and pulled the batteries. What a horrible configuration for something that we're supposed to check regularly. Turns out that my delivery inspection from Camping World didn't include topping off the battery water--according to my battery expert, no water had been added since it arrived on the lot last February--numerous dead cells and just wouldn't hold a charge, $200 later everything is bright and cold even when we boondocked for a couple of days.
Again thanks for the help.

Tags
camping world, inverters, problems, refrigerator