Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
Angry Goodyear G670 RV tires

After many months of frustrating attempts to resolve a shimmy/vibration in my ACE 29.3 2015 unit , I decided to find an independent mechanic and take my the ACE out for a test drive. The mechanic notice that their is a bouncing feel to the unit at 30-40 mph which seemed to diminish once we hit highway speeds of 65 or so.
The mechanic inspected the alignment and found it to be good. He measured the rims and found nothing out off balance or bent.
The mechanic who is quite knowledgeable about RV units felt that the issue was most likely the tires. In fact what he discovered and that the tires are out of around by more than ninety thousands of an inch . According to the mechanic the acceptable range is 10- to 15 thousands .
The small Video is attached for all to see shows, the wobble or uneven spinning of the tire . This is what is causing the vibration/shimmy that I have previously described .
In this certified mechanics opinion the other 4 rear tires would have the same variance in out of roundness. His recommendation and professional opinion is that the Good year tires need to be replaced. He has seen this in many of his inspections on many motor homes . His recommendation is that these tires be replaced with Michelin tires. The mechanic also noted that the unit did not need any aftermarket upgrades to improve the vehicles handling.

If this is not done overtime the vibration will eventually loosen much of the front end components inside and out side the unit. The rattle
in the dash that I have experienced and you have tried to eliminate on your last attempt to resolve this problem is a direct result of the tires being out of round. If this issue is not resolved then many warranty issues will eventually rear there ugly head.
Waiting to hear from Thor . The RV dealership wiped his hands of the situation. Typical pass the buck
Attached Files

Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I've seen a local tire shop shaving tread off of tires to true them up. They had a special machine that did spun the tire and scalped off the tread from one side to the other. That seemed alarming, until they explained that RVs almost never wear the tread off the tires. You might want to find a shop that does that.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 AM   #3

THOR #2125
That is an option, but I am hoping that Thor will counter with an offer to replace the tires .
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
That would be a tire mfg problem, find the tire dealer in you area that handles that brand of tire, and let him handle the warranty .
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

THOR #2125
I am pursuing that option as well but I firmly believe that the facility that sold me the unit and the manufacturers should be the ones chasing this issue down and resolving it.
If this was a used unit without any warranty, I would take this task on alone. The EXTRA warranty coverage should be handled by the provider not the consumer.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
All motor vehicles (new) State that the tires have a seperate warranty that is covered by the tire manufacture. Remember that your frame and drive line motor trans ect and tires come from Ford or GM
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

THOR #2125
Yes I understand that. My issue is the support to resolve the problem should be the provider. THEY should have the knowledge and expertise to diagnose the problem and make a recommendation to fix the problem.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgianni View Post
....cut....

In this certified mechanics opinion the other 4 rear tires would have the same variance in out of roundness. His recommendation and professional opinion is that the Good year tires need to be replaced. He has seen this in many of his inspections on many motor homes . His recommendation is that these tires be replaced with Michelin tires.

....cut....
I can't view the video, so maybe this was already addressed.

Did he check the four rear tires or assumed they too would have the same problem? I wouldn't assume much if making a claim. I'd also want it in writing and if at all possible from a second source also. That would carry a lot more weight in my opinion.

My 2 cents .... If tires are defective, Good Year would replace them under warranty with Good Year tires, not Michelins. I expect a mechanic would know that, unless he expects you to buy new Michelins yourself.

With the information you have, I'd take it to an appropriate Good Year tire dealer and see what they will do for you.

By the way, if vibration starts at a certain speed and then diminishes as you go faster, it's normally a sign that you are passing through a suspension natural frequency. And if the chassis isn't working right, it doesn't take much at all out of balance or out of round to cause vibration. The first thing I'd check would be shocks/dampers to make sure they are on tight and not busted. Hopefully you've had that done already along with checking everything on suspension and frame is tight.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

THOR #2125
The chassis , rims and alignment are fine. The mechanic is not telling me to buy Michelin tires. He suggesting that for this vehicle this brand would work best. He's an independent repair service facility that works on cars, specialty cars, small trucks, very large trucks, buses and motor homes.
His experience has been that 19.5" sized tires on vehicles this size historically have issues.
with any other brand than Michelin. He’s the one that suggested that I try to get Thor to replace the tires

Based on his knowledge the other 4 tires are most likely out round as well. He and I did the road test together.

My two cents is I should not have to be the one that gets a first, second or third opinion to resolve this issue in the first place . The dealer and Thor should be helping me .
I have no desire to continue to resolve problems on a brand new $85,000 plus unit. This is not my only issue with this unit.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
When I looked at upgrading from my Vegas 24.1 to an Ace, the tires were one of the biggest negatives for me. I won't ride on Firestones and I do not particularity like Goodyears. The Michelins I have had on my last thee RVs have lasted the life of the vehicle (36k miles) and we're still good when I traded in. I don't understand what Ford uses Michelins on its E-350/450 but Goodyears on on the F-53?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #11

THOR #2125
The tire expert I spoke to provided me with more information about tires , tire wear, tire tread , camber, caster, factory alignment settings versus preferred alignment settings, than anyone I have ever met in my life.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
When I looked at upgrading from my Vegas 24.1 to an Ace, the tires were one of the biggest negatives for me. I won't ride on Firestones and I do not particularity like Goodyears. The Michelins I have had on my last thee RVs have lasted the life of the vehicle (36k miles) and we're still good when I traded in. I don't understand what Ford uses Michelins on its E-350/450 but Goodyears on on the F-53?
One thing about Ford is the tires are not specific to a chassis or a model within an chassis. Ford will use different manufacturers tires on the same chassis or model as long as they meet the size, weight and speed ratings. That is why when buying a Ford the new owner may receive the warranty info for multiple tire manufacturers along with their owners manual. Keep the warranty that applies and throw the rest away.

I refuse to purchase any vehicle setting on Firestone tires since I have never had a set last more than 18K (three new cars with proper dealer performed maintenance and alignments). When we bought our class C we saw E450 based models on Goodyear and Michelin tires and my current F53 based Challenger came with Michelin, albeit they are 22.5 tires and wheels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgianni View Post
....cut....

My two cents is I should not have to be the one that gets a first, second or third opinion to resolve this issue in the first place . The dealer and Thor should be helping me .
I have no desire to continue to resolve problems on a brand new $85,000 plus unit. This is not my only issue with this unit.
I agree 100% that you shouldn't be placed in the middle between the dealer, Thor, Ford and Good Year. I've expressed this general opinion before, thinking the industry needs to change so that these kinds of issues are far more transparent to the owner. Others on this forum have stated that that will never happen, and they are probably right.

I personally also like Michelins best, which is what I normally buy for all my vehicles. Having said that, I can't imagine any probable scenario where you will end up with Michelins unless you buy them. That was my point. Even if Thor or Ford assume some responsibility, in my opinion they will only likely pressure Good Year to replace defective tires.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #14

THOR #2125
AMEN Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One thing about Ford is the tires are not specific to a chassis or a model within an chassis. Ford will use different manufacturers tires on the same chassis or model as long as they meet the size, weight and speed ratings. That is why when buying a Ford the new owner may receive the warranty info for multiple tire manufacturers along with their owners manual. Keep the warranty that applies and throw the rest away.

I refuse to purchase any vehicle setting on Firestone tires since I have never had a set last more than 18K (three new cars with proper dealer performed maintenance and alignments). When we bought our class C we saw E450 based models on Goodyear and Michelin tires and my current F53 based Challenger came with Michelin, albeit they are 22.5 tires and wheels.
Interesting. I looked at a bunch of 2015/16 F-53s with 19.5" tires and did not find one that did not have Goodyear tires. Since I never got that far, I did not ask if you could get one with Michelins. And I have not seen an E-350/450 RV with anything but Michelins. I did not know that they came with Goodyears.

I will not ride on Firestones, because I had a set of their steel belted radials about 45 years ago. The ones that separated and killed people and Firestone would not step up and recognize or fix the problem. I have never owned a set since and will not buy a vehicle with them on it.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
For me there is also value in Class Cs and Axis/Vegas having smaller 16-inch tires commonly used on pickups and vans. There is something to be said for not having to find and deal with a truck tire shop. Granted it's a minor detail, but one that sways me towards smaller RVs.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #17

THOR #1765
I agree. And the cost of replacement and alignment are considerably less.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #4244
Out-of-round Tires ...

Following your "tire saga" with interest... had a vibration / tire issue a couple years back. It turned out that the tires were not "bad' but the tire / wheel assembly was out of round - spinning by hand was similar to above video. Solution was to unmount / remount each tire from the wheel - that solved it.

Good luck with your journey - unfortunately we need to push against the wind ourselves with very little help from dealer & manufacturers...!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #19

THOR #2125
Tire fix

I purchased my ACE unit 4/15 and finally, after almost 1 year of trying to resolve the "shimmy" and rattle "issue with my RV with virtually no help from the dealer and little support from FORD, GoodYear has agreed to replace all 6 tires on my ACE.
In summary, actually I found a DEALER that help me determine how to resolve my issue. Thank You Camper's World in Cheichester NH
Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #4067
Here is my 2cents. If you go to the ford web site for info on the f53 chassis they are all built with 22 inch rims. So what the hell does thore do with them and why do they replace then with 19s.