Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
GPS Recommendations

Hello out there,
I am looking for info/recommendations on currently available RV specific GPS or navigation Apps. Any information based on personal use (good or bad) would be appreciated.
I have looked at a number of units but have never had the opportunity to use one so I am looking to others for some insight.
Thanks

Old 03-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Based on a lot or research and consumer reviews, I was going to go with the Garmin RV 760LMT. Yesterday, however, I found that there is a newer (and more expensive, of course), Garmin model due out later this month - the Garmin RV 770 NA LMT-S. I'm going to wait until I can determine whether the newer model is worth the hype and extra cost.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I would also say that I have had good luck with both Google Maps and Mapquest app on my cell phone. I prefer Mapquest on my phone, since it has the capability of showing which lane I need to be in in order to exit a highway.

I am considering a Garmin GPS only because I would like a bigger display screen. I haven't yet looked into using Google Maps or Maquest on an Android tablet, so maybe others can weigh in on that.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
Hello out there,
I am looking for info/recommendations on currently available RV specific GPS or navigation Apps. Any information based on personal use (good or bad) would be appreciated.
I have looked at a number of units but have never had the opportunity to use one so I am looking to others for some insight.
Thanks

Go with the Rand trucking gps. Allows you to put in height to keep you off roads with bridges that are to low.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A frequent question around here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...vice-6299.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f6/...stem-5939.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-gps-5540.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
I bought a factory reconditioned Garmin RV760LMT in January prior to our trip to Disney .
The price was very reasonable and the unit works great. The display is large and the voice activation works very nicely .
We used it to navigate, and find restaurants , nice unit with nice features.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
I use Garmin 760..... very happy with results
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Consider ...
Garmin map updates do not last forever, even if your purchase includes the life time maps. Since the 760 is obsolete/discontinued, the purchase of one now at any price would certainly have me thinking twice if updated maps mattered.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
Mine is still being updated, both software and map updates. We also have a long discontinued Garmin in our car, and still get the same 2 updates.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Hard to go wrong with a Garmin, very user friendly!
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We installed the RV760 LMT in our VEGAS. We have jumpered in the backup camera to the GPS screen. Easier to see than the AXXERA radio. Also, I like the "powered mount" on the 760 as opposed to the 770, since I can simply remove the GPS and don't have to unplug power and camera

Voice rec works great, and is not hard to update with a laptop.

Was going to use the smartphones instead of a stand alone GPS, however, we have been too many places with no cell service that our car GPS has saved our behinds...
Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
thanks everyone for the info...kind of looks like the older Garmin 760 is a pretty good option.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We installed the RV760 LMT in our VEGAS. We have jumpered in the backup camera to the GPS screen. Easier to see than the AXXERA radio. Also, I like the "powered mount" on the 760 as opposed to the 770, since I can simply remove the GPS and don't have to unplug power and camera

Voice rec works great, and is not hard to update with a laptop.

Was going to use the smartphones instead of a stand alone GPS, however, we have been too many places with no cell service that our car GPS has saved our behinds...
How did you jumper the camera to the gps and how did you run the wire? I assume you needed an adapter, what did you use and where did you purchase it?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I've used my 760 since they were first released and it's quite accurate when it comes to traffic delays. It also allows you to setup your RV dimensions. I had it synced with my wireless backup camera on my last camper.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #15

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
I have used the 760 for about a year and have been pleased with it
Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
You can buy a mini phone plug to RCA video cable from GARMIN, but I got mine on eBay for 3.95. Then I got a video splitter and plugged the splitter into the feed between the camera control and the AXXERA radio. Then plugged in the new cable to the splitter and the mini phone plug ( I think it is 3.5 mm) And you have backup camera on the GARMIN 760.

I have my GPS on the dash to the left of the radio, so almost no wire to run.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #17

THOR #5196
Thanks Mike!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #18

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We have used the Rand RV/Truck GPS with free lifetime updates for almost 4 years now. In my unit I wouldn't want my GPS in the radio because it is a lower line-of-sight. Don't want to be looking down, then back up, then down again. With any RV GPS you can enter height, weight, length, gallons of propane carried, etc. It will always generally route you so that you stay legal and don't tear the air conditioners off the top of your rig.

I run a second GPS (non-RV) mounted on the dash in front of passenger seat also. It doesn't hurt to have a second pair of eyes looking for turns. I only use Google Maps or other I-phone apps when camped and planning routes, never for actual navigation.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
A couple weeks ago I went to install some pending updates to my old Nuvi 3790 and it connected to my computer but wouldn't connect to Garmin Express. Unplug/reconnect and it died. Messed with it without success. Not totally unexpected due to previous revivals have left it without voice capabilities and a prompt for reboot that I've had to answer no to for the last couple years. Now what to do...? I previously told myself that I'd probably never buy another dedicated GPS and would use CoPilot or other tablet/phone app solutions that I've messed with off and on for a while. All seemed to have more extra steps/work needed than my hop in and go navigation on the fly ways I've been accustom to.

Long story short ... I got the RV770LTM-S. Wasn't completely happy with the choices because I've been using Topo maps with the 3790 when we hit the back roads where street maps often end. Alas no Topo maps are listed as compatible with any of the RV choices I could find. So in getting the RV770 setup and ready for travel I accept the fact that this new GPS doesn't have a powered dock capability or Topo maps, thinking it's a road unit and swapping it to the Jeep for Topo travels wasn't going to be in the cards anyway so I'll just leave it mounted in the RV all the time.

Well fast forward to nearly bricking my Jeep's built in Nav unit with updates the other night, I was on a roll and got the crazy idea to attempt loading topo maps into the new RV770 anyhow. Some google searching turned up nothing related other than some basic SD card information. Dug out my unused micro SD cards and had an old 4GB, 8GB in the old GPS and a more recent 128GB as candidates. But wait, Garmin site says max 64GB compatible, so a fast 32GB card got ordered without delay... Ok so of course I couldn't stop and wait for it to arrive and started messing with the 128GB card! After several attempts to get the stated over max capacity card recognized by both my mac and the RV770 it finally worked when I formatted it with the last possible combination method, from the mac while the GPS was connected in usb drive mode. With the full capacity registering I attempted to use map loader and to my surprise Topo maps loaded! Even better, they appear to be working just like with the 3790 being listed and selectable in My Maps.

More good news is that I pulled apart the old 3790 and disconnected the battery for a couple hours and when I plugged it back in, the GPS started working again. After 3 pending updates, the nagging reboot prompt went away leaving only the voice command option still dysfunctional. So to the Jeep it will go for full time Topo use where voice capabilities don't work anyhow.

The RV770 has a noticeably larger screen (very nice). Both pictured use the same suction type mount on the Axis dash trim making the touch screen any easy reach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	4779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5901.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	4780  

Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #20

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I have the Garin RV 760. It allows you to enter the dimensions of your RV including height, length, with etc. so far it has been very helpful. I have lifetime maps and just updated for our trip to the beac. Just about every road we take, and there are many from Big Bear to Bolsa Chica via Lucerne Valley, is being reconstructed, new exits, new byways new this and that. The 760 keeps up with all the changes very nicely.

In Canada it didn't want to route us on the ice road. It a modern wide 2 lane road. Been on it before and as far as I could tell it was because of the frost heaves and the repaving. Sure was choppy.