Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #12161
GPS system is needed in 2014 Chateau

My recently-purchased 2014 Chateau has a barely-usable, dim monitor in the center console that displays the rear-camera images. I really need a modern, full-color GPS system screen in this location---like is in most modern vehicles these days, to help me navigate. Hopefully, with the capability to also temporarily display rear-camera images. Does anyone have any info/suggestions regarding how to modernize this old Chateau? Thanks, Gordy, Cadiz KY

Old 09-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Isn't it just a double-DIN system? Any standard double-DIN system that meets your needs should be a plug-n-play swap. MAybe you want something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Eunavi-Androi...ble+din+tablet
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

State: Kentucky
THOR #12161
Thanks for your reply but I have no idea what you are writing about...a double DIN or some such thing. I guess that I was looking for a more basic response such as how I might be able to have Best Buy replace this pretty useless thing in my center console with a (specific model) GPS.....or some similar procedure. Thanks for trying.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...l%20Categories

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-2...-stereo-534610
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would never want one in my 'old' 2014 Palazzo - I like my basic 'camera' system from the factory, and use the best GPS available - good 'ol google Maps on my phone - no need for a 'installed' RV-specific GPS that is expensive and can't be used in any other vehicles or places.
It's SO much easier to input and search with my phone that it will every be with a dedicated GPS 'in-car' system. I can do all my 'searching' before I even get in the driver seat, and take it with me when I'm out-and-about.

travel, enjoy... you can go anywhere you really want to!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for this info!
I personally don't see the allure of spending the money for such an integrated system.
But I DO like the idea of an RV-specific GPS!
(A Garmin RV-770 LMT-S in on my Christmas wish-list. )
And I even think that you could add a camera to it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Why a real GPS is better than cell phone based GPS directions

The reason you want a real GPS is there are large parts of North America and especially Canada with no cell phone coverage, and therefore cell phone based mapping systems are useless in these situations. We found this to be the case recently on the trans Canada highways in western Canada and Northern Canada. Then you get in the remote areas and you can go hundreds of miles with no cell coverage. It is like cars with no spare, great idea in a city but useless in the country with no cell coverage to get help.

PS one of the first things I bought for my Freedom Elite 23H was a spare wheel, and mounted tire, and jack, and breaker bar. When shopping for a new small car we eliminated any car without at least a donut wheel and tire.

Not a belt and suspenders guy, but an old guy planning to get ancient and then prehistoric!

I would love a real GPS, the Garmin portable we have is terminally stupid and get lost regularly... The problem we have with our camera background is auto dimming when we put the headlights on.

Rocky
Old 09-15-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky49 View Post
The reason you want a real GPS is there are large parts of North America and especially Canada with no cell phone coverage, and therefore cell phone based mapping systems are useless in these situations. We found this to be the case recently on the trans Canada highways in western Canada and Northern Canada. Then you get in the remote areas and you can go hundreds of miles with no cell coverage. It is like cars with no spare, great idea in a city but useless in the country with no cell coverage to get help.

PS one of the first things I bought for my Freedom Elite 23H was a spare wheel, and mounted tire, and jack, and breaker bar. When shopping for a new small car we eliminated any car without at least a donut wheel and tire.

Not a belt and suspenders guy, but an old guy planning to get ancient and then prehistoric!

I would love a real GPS, the Garmin portable we have is terminally stupid and get lost regularly... The problem we have with our camera background is auto dimming when we put the headlights on.

Rocky
Not completely useless but you have to prepare first. The Google maps app on the phone allows you to download specific regions to the phone so you can still use it even with no signal. Tap the three bar menu at top left and then tap on "offline maps".

I have a tablet that is WiFi only but still use it for RV navigation this way--just have to remember to download the maps before leaving.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
And I even think that you could add a camera to it!
You can: The proprietary Garmin wireless camera; not just any camera.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #13153
I have a AXXERA AVM111NAV I just took out of my 2018 Palazzo and replaced it with one that is serius compatable I'm looking to get $300.00 out of it.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I have a AXXERA AVM111NAV I just took out of my 2018 Palazzo and replaced it with one that is serius compatable I'm looking to get $300.00 out of it.

Siriusly?