Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6962
Hooking Up Cable

Good evening!

I have a '17 Windsport and have been racking my brains trying to hook-up the cable. I have the input port outside of the coach next to the shore tie; however, I can't figure out how to get the cable working on the TV's. Inside the coach there is a cabinet above the couch that has a coax output as well as the switch for the TV's to use the DVD and anything else we hook-up to it via HDMI.

My impression is the coax output in that cabinet is where the exterior coax connects to; however, I don't know how to get that connected to the TV's since the switch in that cabinet does not have a coax input.

Long story short... I would love and appreciate any guidance on how to make the cable work. We are heading to the Smoky Mountains for the holidays and I would hate to miss Thanksgiving football!

Thanks for any guidance!
Charlie

Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does the plate with the coax also have a button and an LED? If it does press the button so the LED goes out and you should be able to get cable--provided your TVs have the tuner in them for it. The button is power for the antenna amplifier (er provided the Windsport's use the same system the other Thor's use--I'm sure someone with a Windsport will be around shortly.)

(The coax is probably already routed to each TV.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
The tvs are all wired for cable. Make sure the light is out on the ant booster on the left side of your cabinet. On the tv change the input to cable. If that doesn't work your tvs may not have the proper tuner to decode the cable signal.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:36 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #10016
We had the same problem...and looked and looked for the antenna booster button and light. Well in our 2017 Thor chateau 31w there is no longer a little on/off light just a on off button... no light. Cost savings of a few dollars?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Every time you move whether using cable or antenna (booster must be on for antenna) you must go to the tv (all tv's connected) setting menu & switch to appropriate input source & scan the channels. We've been to several parks with cable & the picture is usually better with the antenna.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Does your RV have this control box? If so, the button on far left needs to be off (antenna power as previously mentioned) and then set to cable. Then set TV to cable and scan. Thx, Dennis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Video Control Center QS53DVD Manual.pdf (673.1 KB, 779 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6962
Thank you all for the guidance. I will need to swing by the coach in storage this evening to check out if there is a button on the coax plate (from the pic it looks like there may be) as well as mess with the switch.

The TV's do have a cable "input" option that I tried to use and scan for channels when it was hooked up in the past. However, if I am reading the guidance from you all correctly you are saying that the TV antenna needs to be powered down and the switch set to cable.

Budman, attached is a picture of my cabinet that I took a few weeks back and you can see that the video control switch I have is different. But thank you for sharing the spec sheet... would have been perfect if it was the one that I had.

Anzawoman, thank you for sharing... where did you end up finding that button specifically? Curious if that is all I need to do.

Thanks again everyone... it's been driving me crazy not figuring that out.
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170923_204439141_iOS.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	7772  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
The button is just to the right of the coax adapter, or in your case on the door side of your cabinet.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You should have an exterior cable connector that connects to campground cable. For the outside cable to work the antenna booster has to be off. The Seiki TVs won’t work on some campgrounds without a converter box, the Seiki does not have a QAM converter which is needed for most cable tv, this is why you need a converter.

I changed out my TVs to Samsung’s with digital tuners, I get twice as many over the air channels and now don’t need a converter box.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

Model: Venetian A40
State: Idaho
THOR #17453
Hmm... sorting this out for myself now. At the dealership the TVs were all playing digital on-air-broadcast local channels without cable hooked to the coach the morning of delivery. All I've done thus far is plug an Apple TV device into the HDMI management switches, but I can't seem to get my TVs to display local D.O.A. (OTA) stations now that I have the unit home, even though it says "4 found...". Does my antenna need to be "OFF"? as someone has mentioned? Is there a way to control the antenna for digital TV feed?

Thanks in advance!

2018 Thor Venetian. A-40.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
Hmm... sorting this out for myself now. At the dealership the TVs were all playing digital on-air-broadcast local channels without cable hooked to the coach the morning of delivery. All I've done thus far is plug an Apple TV device into the HDMI management switches, but I can't seem to get my TVs to display local D.O.A. stations now that I have the unit home, even though it says it "finds them". Does my antenna need to be "OFF"? as someone has mentioned? Is there a way to control the antenna for digital TV feed?

Thanks in advance!

2018 Thor Venetian. A-40
What is a D.O.A. station? There are Over The Air (OTA) stations and cable stations that come in through coax cable. Then there are HDMI devices such as your Apple TV, but you have to select the HDMI source on the TV as well as the Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB) if so equipped.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #12

THOR #17453
Guess I should have searched for the actual acronym... That's what I meant by D.O.A. Digital Over Air broadcasts.... OTA...
Old 11-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
As has been mentioned, some of the newer RVs have antenna booster switches that do not have a little LED to indicate when the booster is on or off. Maybe this photo will help sort out the confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster is On.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	21639  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #14

THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
As has been mentioned, some of the newer RVs have antenna booster switches that do not have a little LED to indicate when the booster is on or off. Maybe this photo will help sort out the confusion.
I think that's the crux of my question. I tried to search for channels on all 5 input options for my front two TVs, with that button on and the power LED illuminated. Maybe if I get a chance this afternoon, I'll repeat the search with the power button off. Someone mentioned the button higher in this thread and then another person seemed to imply that it should be "OFF"...
Old 11-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #15

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #9660
The LED should only be off when hooked up to cable TV. When searching for OTA channels it should be on. Where we are, I get about 56 OTA channels. Where are you located? I found 2 Bismarks- Bismark Mountain near Idaho City, and Bismark Meadows in Bonner County.
Mike
Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Hooking Up Cable

I replaced my wall plate amplifier with the Winegard (Black or White) RFL-332 Sensar Pro Signal Meter. Have had one for many years. This shows the signal strength for the over the air antenna. Just push the same type button for Park Cable. Best upgrade for onboard antenna.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	21770
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #17

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccharliejr View Post
Thank you all for the guidance. I will need to swing by the coach in storage this evening to check out if there is a button on the coax plate (from the pic it looks like there may be) as well as mess with the switch.

The TV's do have a cable "input" option that I tried to use and scan for channels when it was hooked up in the past. However, if I am reading the guidance from you all correctly you are saying that the TV antenna needs to be powered down and the switch set to cable.

Budman, attached is a picture of my cabinet that I took a few weeks back and you can see that the video control switch I have is different. But thank you for sharing the spec sheet... would have been perfect if it was the one that I had.

Anzawoman, thank you for sharing... where did you end up finding that button specifically? Curious if that is all I need to do.

Thanks again everyone... it's been driving me crazy not figuring that out.
Charlie
You've got a Monoprice Blackbird splitter. I have the same model but mine is out in the RV now and I can't determine the model number.

If you know your model number, please pass it along. Might be able to get a manual for it online.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:21 AM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #5329
Just an info question. We just bought a 2020 Thor Quantam JM31. It has a HDMI Splitter installed and all 3 TVs appear to run normally using air option. We have not been able to test it out using cable as we have no way to check until we arrive at campsite, which we have scheduled for April 2nd. Next to the wall mounted splitter is a cable in but there is nothing attached to it. Is there anything I need to know or do before we head out to make sure we can get cable in.
We do have a Winegard 2.0 installed but we were led to believe this is just for WiFi
We had a Class A before and it had a unit that allowed us to select what kind of input we could run our TVs off of, but this Class C does not have that
Old 03-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #19

THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashrandy View Post
Just an info question. We just bought a 2020 Thor Quantam JM31. It has a HDMI Splitter installed and all 3 TVs appear to run normally using air option. We have not been able to test it out using cable as we have no way to check until we arrive at campsite, which we have scheduled for April 2nd. Next to the wall mounted splitter is a cable in but there is nothing attached to it. Is there anything I need to know or do before we head out to make sure we can get cable in.
We do have a Winegard 2.0 installed but we were led to believe this is just for WiFi
We had a Class A before and it had a unit that allowed us to select what kind of input we could run our TVs off of, but this Class C does not have that
Maybe a function within the TV set up page itself? I am happy to report that we'd made peace with our entire TV & audio set up after 8+ weeks. Wish I could say the same for the GPS system and Axxera...
Old 09-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Does the plate with the coax also have a button and an LED? If it does press the button so the LED goes out and you should be able to get cable--provided your TVs have the tuner in them for it. The button is power for the antenna amplifier (er provided the Windsport's use the same system the other Thor's use--I'm sure someone with a Windsport will be around shortly.)

(The coax is probably already routed to each TV.)
I have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 and the button broke off of it. How can a buy a new one what is the official name for it,