Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
yeah it's a medium residential running off an inverter. It's possible my expectations are too high.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #22

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
perhaps...I don't know for sure
I have see folks write that they can go longer than I would have guessed on battery, but I don't know how many or what capacity they were talking.
Sounds like you might have just two rv hybrid type batteries that wouldn't have a lot of capacity even when new.

I can understand it may not take much juice normally, since the compressor is only kicking on once in a while....
BUT I'd guess the huge variables that would affect that include;
1) Having the box pre-chilled before going on battery
2) having the box FULL of cold stuff for Thermal capacity (fill the freezer with ice blocks if there's no food in it...and fill the fridge with water if there's not much stuff in it.)
3) and how often you open the door (cold air loss, lights on, etc..)
4) and like I mentioned before timing of when the defrost cycle kick on
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also remember that the original batteries are of an old fashioned design meaning that you you need to check the water level quire frequently. I'm thinking that the charger is not "smart" and stays at a high level whenever there is shore power. People are used to maintenance free batteries these days and don't think to check. I have to add water quite often.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #24

Model: Citation 29TB
THOR #2191
I told the service supervisor that they dealer did not check on the RV during the day and before closing to checked that all is well with the RV, such as the batteries switch is off, window are closed, etc. The supervisor informed the dealer and the dealer agree to pay for one. You know buyer wants to check everything and maybe forgot to put thing back such as switching, etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #25

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychoice View Post
I told the service supervisor that they dealer did not check on the RV during the day and before closing to checked that all is well with the RV, such as the batteries switch is off, window are closed, etc. The supervisor informed the dealer and the dealer agree to pay for one. You know buyer wants to check everything and maybe forgot to put thing back such as switching, etc.
That has been my assumption too. Leaving a light on overnight will kill a battery. Letting a battery sit even if disconnected will let it self discharge and if done long enough will kill it too. Any combination of these, done just a time or two will kill a battery.

I went into my PDI knowing this, and even brought along my load tester and hydrometer....but when I showed up they had the coach sitting there plugged in with the AC blasting and the battery charging probably overnight.... so there was no way for me to test it really that day. I did unplug as part of the pdi and run everything of battery, so it did hold some charge, but it didn't take long that night to determine it didn't have much capacity left.