Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw38RB
State: Colorado
THOR #14374
Induction cook top trouble

Hi all, we have a Highpoint induction cook top in our 2018 Outlaw 37RB. I heat up water every morning in a small pot for coffee. I turn it on, select "heat" and set it to 10. Tonight my wife has a slightly bigger pot and is trying to boil water for potato's. The cook top won't let her set the heat past 7 and it's randomly turning itself down to 5. I've tried unplugging the cook top to reset it and no change. Any idea's?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you ever used that pot on the burner before? Perhaps it isn't compatible?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #3

THOR #14374
It is definitely compatible. We bought the pot just a few weeks ago and it said it was induction cook top compatible. The rig ( and induction) cooking are new to us. I’ll have to try that pot again in the AM. Just wondering if anyone else has run into a situation where you can’t turn up the heat past 7 and then it drops down to 5 by itself?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Supposed to work that way if both units are on at the same time. The unit senses the type of pot on top of the unit. Sounds like the unit doesn't like that particular pot.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

THOR #14374
@beau388 OK, so if I'm using both cook tops then I can't take either one of them to 10? We were trying to boil water with potato's on one burner (setting 10) while browning ground beef on the other (setting 4). We did get it done at setting 7 but seems odd. I read over the manual twice and saw no mention of this.
This is only the second time we've had this happen and now that you mention this it was the exact same situation!
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You're limiting factor is current, 20 amps max for both combined
Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
@beau388 OK, so if I'm using both cook tops then I can't take either one of them to 10? We were trying to boil water with potato's on one burner (setting 10) while browning ground beef on the other (setting 4). We did get it done at setting 7 but seems odd. I read over the manual twice and saw no mention of this.
This is only the second time we've had this happen and now that you mention this it was the exact same situation!
The cook top circuit is 15 amps (1800 watts). Each of the units has the ability to draw 1500 watts separately. Each of the numbers equates to approximately 180 watts so number five would be 900 watts for each unit or 1800 watts total. The computer balances the power between the units so that you do not trip the power center circuit breaker. This should have been explained during your PDI and it is also explained in you cook top's cooking instructions. The Furron instructions are here <https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906109022297/5237057552473/IM-FIH2ZEA-BG.pdf>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

THOR #14374
@beau388 , ok thank you for the explanation. That makes sense now as when my wife tried to up the heat on one burner she now mentioned the other would go down!. We have a Highpoint unit and as I said I went through the manual (just did again) and there is no mention of this. Also nothing mentioned in the walk through. No surprise there!!
Thanks again,
Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Utah
THOR #15216
induction and dry camping

I am picking up my Miramar 35.2 May 17th. I am now a little concerned about the induction cook top. If it is an issue with both burner running I feel like I am spending a lot and it may not work 100% which I expected it to. I am also guessing I may not be able to cook without the generator running during dry camping. I also just read that the 2020 models are going back to propane. Are these burners a problem?

Thanks,
Don
2019 Miramar coming soon
Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #10

THOR #6903
We have a nice induction single burner cooktop we use when the rare occasion arises to need 2 burners on high

Would never go back to lp

Yellow stuff on walls, ceiling, and your lungs is what happens if you don't exhaust constantly when cooking with lp
Old 05-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #11

THOR #14374
Hi Don, I originally posted this. It is true you can not run both burners at full power (10). I figured this out when I was trying to boil a pot of water on one side and cook some ground beef on the other burner. I was pretty upset initially but have since found it’s not that big of a deal. I can easily boil water on setting 7 and that leaves setting 3 on the other burner to cook which is more than adequate.
As far as boondocking, you are correct in its current configuration you must run the generator. I looked at the owners manual for the cook top and I think max amp is 1500 so I believe the inverter should handle it fine but I have not tried it yet.
We do a ton of boondocking as well. I use a 2 burner Colman stove for early morning coffee the we fire up the generator later to cook. If I’m in a quiet area I’ll just use the Colman..
I hope to eventually cut it over to the 12V side but right now I only have 230 AH of battery and I think it would run it down pretty quick.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #12

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
You'll be fine in your new Miramar my wife uses a nuwav induction cook toll from our old Bounded as extra burner along with the cook top. Keeps motor home much cooler in summer when cooking.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

Model: Aria - 3901
State: Michigan
THOR #14654
We had a bit of a learning lesson in our Thor Aria - the induction cooktop shares a circuit with the dryer! Therefore as mentioned above this caused the circuit breaker to pop . . . Just an FYI
Old 05-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You would think that they'd set up a "high-draw" item; on it's own breaker...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #19881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You would think that they'd set up a "high-draw" item; on it's own breaker...
In our 2020 Aria 3901, the cook top is on it's own 15 A breaker.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #16

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
After reading the comments and explanations.....Believe I'll just stick with our Propane cooktop and oven...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #17

THOR #6903
We have a nice induction single burner cooktop we use when the rare occasion arises to need 2 burners on high

Yellow stuff on walls, ceiling, and your lungs is what happens if you don't exhaust constantly when cooking with lp

Haven't changed my mind in two years since the original 2019 post
Old 03-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
yellow stuff on walls, ceiling, and your lungs is what happens if you don't exhaust constantly when cooking with lp
Haven't changed my mind in two years since the original 2019 post
Since we have a handy outside outlet: do you have any suggestions for a particular brand portable induction cooktop?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Our 2020 Thor has a dual one.... one large induction and then two LP right beside it. Best of both worlds. Like the Induction a bit more as it keeps the fumes and heat generated down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	True Induction, Cooktop.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	29473  
Old 03-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My coach only has the one induction cooktop burner and I wish we had the setup like pneumatics has listed. When I use the cooktop I either have to be on shore power or the generator as compared to the propane burners that don't require electrical power to operate. It does heat up quickly.

Paul