Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #652
I happened to go out to the coach this morning and guess what. No radio! I now felt that the problem had to be a ground connection. On the left side of the electrical control box there is a ground that is hard to see and it is behind a hot lead but mine was loose, I tightened it and all is working again. I will let you know if I have any more problems with it. This would also explain why I had other electrical troubles. Happy New year to all of you fellow RV'ers.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #22

THOR #652
It has been a month and the radio is working fine since then, so I feel that the loose ground that I found was the problem.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Quebec
THOR #2292
I have the same issue
Was the loose ground on the radio or the RV power box?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #24

THOR #652
The ground is behind the lower power lead on the left side ( when facing the box ) of the rv power distribution box, in the engine compartment.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #25

Model: Challenger
State: Georgia
THOR #1359
That JRV212T

I am having the same problem. After communicating with the ASA Electronics techs and working through their troubleshooting guide, My system needs to be replaced. In order to do the troubleshooting, you have to pull out the radio. The two "clip" devices provided for pulling out the radio works depending how the radio is secured inside of the mounting sleeve. I had to remove the top of my dashboard (four screws) in my 2014 Thor Challenger. Now all the radio connections are easily accessible. My radio had a small "secure nut & bolt" on the back side of the radio, which prevented me from pulling out the radio after using the two clip devices on the front side. Hope this help considering it's a bit late
Regards,
Lin Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Just had this problem pop yesterday, the display screen on my Jensen JRV212T went blank, the only function that would work was the radio volume! The blue background lights around the edge were illuminated but that was it. No cameras, could not turn it off, even tried the reset button.

I found a couple of forums that mention a very similar problem. I found the two thin metal clips used to remove the radio, I inserted them but could not get the radio out!?!? I followed the directions, no luck in getting it out.

I put the clips down and looked back up and the display was on!!! WT!?&@. The time was correct and everything was normal!!!!! As I sat there scratching my head, the screen went blank again. After making another attempt to remove the unit using the clips, the screen came back on, this time the clock read 12:00, like the power had been interrupted!

Now I'm thoroughly confused! This went on for about 30 min or so, the screen came and went a few times, it finally came back on, with the correct time and all of the pre-sets intact!

I called the mothership "THOR", after explaining the problem, he told me to take it into I the dealer and let them look at it!

My question is: does anyone have a better solution for removing the unit from the dash??

Does anybody have any other ideas before I ride off to the goat rodeo "The Dealer". I know while I'm there it will work just fine for them!

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks,
Old 12-03-2015, 03:53 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #3336
Jensen jRV212T Blank Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin164 View Post
I am having the same problem. After communicating with the ASA Electronics techs and working through their troubleshooting guide, My system needs to be replaced. In order to do the troubleshooting, you have to pull out the radio. The two "clip" devices provided for pulling out the radio works depending how the radio is secured inside of the mounting sleeve. I had to remove the top of my dashboard (four screws) in my 2014 Thor Challenger. Now all the radio connections are easily accessible. My radio had a small "secure nut & bolt" on the back side of the radio, which prevented me from pulling out the radio after using the two clip devices on the front side. Hope this help considering it's a bit late
Regards,
Lin Bailey
THIS is my first post,I also have a blank screen,no camera, no radio,nothing. I called THOR and was told that they no longer supported the unit.(no help at all.) Then i called ASA and was told the same thing. My coach is a 2014 and Thor does not offer any support ???? .What i would like is to get is some input from other RV owners with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS GUMP.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:59 AM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post

THIS is my first post,I also have a blank screen,no camera, no radio,nothing. I called THOR and was told that they no longer supported the unit.(no help at all.) Then i called ASA and was told the same thing. My coach is a 2014 and Thor does not offer any support ???? .What i would like is to get is some input from other RV owners with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS GUMP.
Gump

Is your coach still under warranty or has the warranty expired?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #28

THOR #652
I have had more time to experience the issues. The radio comes and goes, some times you can cycle the store and use switch, on the coach itself, to get it to come back on and some times the reset button works (but remember to hold it for about 30 seconds, this has worked for me a couple of times) bottom line is that I have not come up with a fool proof way of correcting the problem. Hope this helps you, if I can offer any more assistance let me know. There have been times when it goes away and won't restart at all and then all of a sudden it comes back by itself, i'm still working on a fix.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #29

Model: Challenger
State: Georgia
THOR #1359
Thor Challenger Jensen JRV212T Radio

The radio warranty had expired, of course . I replaced the radio with a Jensen JRV215NR, which works fine. I am attempting to obtain reimbursement for the radio and installation from Good Sam Extended Warranty program. More to follow...
Lin Bailey
US Army (Retired)
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Gump

Is your coach still under warranty or has the warranty expired?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
My employer builds military/commercial/private planes. Occasionally we get a customer who would like an entertainment center installed in a custom sleep cabin, workspace, bar area, or restroom. No problem. We install an automotive grade head unit!

We typically install whatever the customer wants. That's usually a very common ordinary "automotive" 12v DC Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine DVD/AM/FM DIN sized head unit straight out of a Crutchfield catalog, (our certified supplier).

However, after the plane has been in service we occasionally get a call that the stereo doesn't work, (a blank screen)! Sound familiar?

Virtually 98% of the time the problems have nothing to do with the head unit itself. It's always traced back to the power sources feeding the circuit where the head unit is sucking power from. On a plane there are several power sources, many voltage conversions, spikes, RF considerations, and also shore power when on the ground, (just like an RV).

The Jensen unit in my 2014 34E has never acted up or presented a blank screen, (knock on luan).

However, I suspect that the issues with the Jensen head unit originate from the AC/DC and house battery/shore power/generator switching that commonly occurs in motorhomes.

Very similar installation situation, (but far less complex), to what occurs on our planes.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #31

THOR #652
I completely agree with you. At the current time I am having trouble with the slide in my RV. I think there are interlocks in the unit that we are not aware of and that they won't let power through or reduce power to a level that won't let the device work and we don't know what is causing the problem. Every time the camera/radio in my RV has stopped working it has come back after working on it for a time.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #32

State: Arizona
THOR #2213
Rackman

My Jensen JRV212T as stopped working. Screen is blank. Radio is on, I can change the volume, but can't change the station. I can also play a CD. I've tried the reset, and get no response. Checked all wiring and fuses under hood in panel, they all have juice to them. Tried removing the unit with the two U shaped wires, and can't get the unit to release so I can remove it. WHAT NOW? HELP!!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well since you're not able to pull the unit out you could switch the coach to Store mode and then disconnect the neg cable on the coach battery to reset it as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #34

THOR #652
I'm not sure that it will make any difference if you take the unit out or not. I've had mine out and still didn't find any specific cause of the problem. I don't have any other ideas that might help you. Good luck and I hope that you come up with something, if I can be of any more help let me know.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I parked my rig yesterday, flipped the store button on as I thought it would stay, but today I had a campsite lined up so went to go, no radio. Was working when I shut it off 24 hrs ago.. the fuse is ok, I tried the reset. Going to disconnect the battery tomorrow. I pulled the head but the wires are short, what is the trick to pulling the power black power plug? Does the clip go in or out? Barley get my fingers on it.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #36

Model: 2015 Windsport 27K
State: Virginia
THOR #2314
Removing the main plug from the 212 is not easy when the harness is too short. You may be able to reach it from underneath - there is a lock on the side of the plug hat you have to squeeze and then try jiggling it back and forth. It will come out eventually. Before doing that, however, I would try the following procedure: place the Store/Run switch in the "Store" position AND disconnect the negative terminal from the chassis battery under the hood for 15-30 seconds (NOT the coach battery). This removes the two sources of power from the unit and effectively resets it. It's been successful for a few owners on here. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #37

THOR #970
I was able to pull the plug. After letting it sit overnight I plugged it back in an now have the exact same problem as the original poster, Brianh442 and rackman, no screen, volume works, blue buttons around edges lit and will play a cd or usb if you plug one in, but no screen, and cams don't show either. I am calling Jenson Monday, my guess is I am 5 months out of warranty.... if anyone finds a fix please post~!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #38

THOR #3398
I have exactly the same problem... Blank screen, volume OK, etc. I bought this Thor ACE 3 years ago. So I do not have warrenty any more. Someone knows if an electronician tech can find and fix the problem?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #39

THOR #970
I called Jenson, the teck told me the unit had a display issue and was not fixable. I asked for someone else, she told me to call Thor or my dealer, and that ASA had extended the warranty for an extra 90 days to "help" people. I said that did not work for my 16 month old unit and now it is a $700 paperweight, did she feel the unit was only to work for 15 months then owners throw them away? I said there are over 100 I see on the RV BB's with the problems. and I will start an awareness campaign on social media as well as possibly look into a class action lawsuit. Then she transferred me to anther person to leave a voice mail with, he was out sick that day but higher up in the company. I am going to contact a lawyer when I am done with the trip I am on now. They are guilty of fraud from what I see so far and should issue a recall to correct the known defect.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #40

THOR #3398
Thanks Petaf! When I called ASA Electronic, the tech said to me that the problem maybe possible to be fix (by a tech, but not by them) if it's a small problem (doesnt need a part like a board, because ASA do not sell parts, they prefer to sell the entire radio). So, right now I'm in Florida for hollidays, and when I come back home, I'll bring the radio to an independant technician who is repairing Jensen radio. I talk to him, he's not sure to be able, but I have nothing to loose. In Canada, the replacement radio cost 2000$CA.