Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Have Four Winds 22e. Not heavy enough to worry about blocking only outer rear dual.
I also have a 22E. I would have to do a bunch of measurements and calculations, before I would be comfortable with outer wheel only blocked. The first thing that comes to mind is not putting all the weight on one wheel. The first thing I'm concerned about is that you have significantly increased the moment arm distance at which that weight force is acting on the axle assembly. If only one wheel is blocked, it would be better to block the inside one. It makes a lot more sense to me to buy a few more blocks and spend a couple more minutes setting up, than to take all the time and research figuring out if it is really OK.. However I have an engineering and physics background(and belt & suspenders mentality), so I can think of more things to be concerned about. Someone decided to put two wheels on each end of that axle. I'm not going to second guess them and say one must be OK. Of course each of us has different tolerance levels,

Ken

Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #22

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I also have a 22E. I would have to do a bunch of measurements and calculations, before I would be comfortable with outer wheel only blocked. The first thing that comes to mind is not putting all the weight on one wheel. The first thing I'm concerned about is that you have significantly increased the moment arm distance at which that weight force is acting on the axle assembly. If only one wheel is blocked, it would be better to block the inside one. It makes a lot more sense to me to buy a few more blocks and spend a couple more minutes setting up, than to take all the time and research figuring out if it is really OK.. However I have an engineering and physics background(and belt & suspenders mentality), so I can think of more things to be concerned about. Someone decided to put two wheels on each end of that axle. I'm not going to second guess them and say one must be OK. Of course each of us has different tolerance levels,

Ken
I'm with you.... I just put boards under both
but playing devil's advocate
those double wheels are set up to take the load, + additional dynamic forces on the road which might be significant
Sitting in the campsite its static, with only slight loading from walking around and so on....
Old 09-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #23

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm with you.... I just put boards under both
but playing devil's advocate
those double wheels are set up to take the load, + additional dynamic forces on the road which might be significant
Sitting in the campsite its static, with only slight loading from walking around and so on....
I know. However figuring out things to worry about is one of my hobbies. So if it's a small effort to put one aside, its worth the minute or two.

Ken