Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Ed, Great job putting this manual together. On behalf of all of us Axix/Vegas owners, thank you again!
Couple of things you probably already are aware of but I'll mention anyway:

1. Floor plan 25.5 was introduced with the 2017 models. This plan has the bathroom across the rear of the coach, offering more room and a larger shower. Beds are twins, convertible to king size that are located between the bathroom and the living/galley area. We just bought this model as it seems a perfect fit for our likes and needs.

2. Apparently, with the exception of the 24.1 models, most 2017 Axis/Vegas units were built on the E450 chassis. I believe Thor actually started using the 450's at some point with the 2016 models. Our salesman advised that he'd heard that at some point in the future, Thor will go back to the 350 chasss, but he had no idea as to when that might happen. I will say that because the 25.5 model is about 1 ft longer than other units (27 ft) and heavier, it might be better on the 450 chassis. I don't know what, if any differences there are between the 350 and 450 chassis' but, if there are, that would be good to know. Perhaps your sources at Ford and/or Thor could shed some light on the future of the 450 chassis use.

Again, thank you so much for your efforts on our behalf's!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #11504
Thank you.

Came here and joined just to thank you for making your manual available to download. We just purchased a 24.1 and truly appreciate the work you put into the manual and all the detailed information.

Also a shout out to those on here that contributed.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10220
Many Thankyous Ed. I printed your masterpiece manual off of your Microsoft One Drive site and we call it our Vegas Bible in a leather bound 3 ring binder with many tabs for quick reference. Thanks for doing what no other RV manufacturer has done. Ray Matthews US Army LTC retired.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #24

Model: Vegas
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1755
Manual

ED,

Just found your Link on the 2015 Vegas 241 Manual/DIY's. Thanks for all the Info, it's going to help me so much.

Thanks, Kamm 2015 Vegas 241
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #9505
Mr. Felker, this is such a great resource!!! I belong to a Axis/Vegas group on Facebook. Is it OK to put and link on there for this handbook or a copy of it on the Facebook group?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Absolutely. I compiled the information; however, I make no exclusive claim to authorship.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Hampshire
THOR #11837
[QUOTE=bevedfelker;44476]

The current manual is Version 5.0, revision 7 dated 1 Apr 2017.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

I was redirected to your owner's manual by another wonderfully helpful forum member, JamieGeek. I just downloaded the PDF version of your manual, and I have begun reading it with great enthusiasm.

You have put together an amazing collection of information - Thank you!

Might I ask a couple of simple questions:

[1] Is the 2019 Vegas 24.1 a RUV that my wife and I should give strong consideration to purchasing based on your personal ownership experiences?

[2] The range of comments concerning the road handling, sway, and overall tracking ability of this RUV have been all over the place from great to not so good. Where do you reside on this subject?

Safe travels!

Sincerely,
Matt
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
Thank you so much!
Your manual is our “go to” source of information!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #29

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Axis Handling

[QUOTE=Base Camp Adventures;123836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post

The current manual is Version 5.0, revision 7 dated 1 Apr 2017.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

I was redirected to your owner's manual by another wonderfully helpful forum member, JamieGeek. I just downloaded the PDF version of your manual, and I have begun reading it with great enthusiasm.

You have put together an amazing collection of information - Thank you!

Might I ask a couple of simple questions:

[1] Is the 2019 Vegas 24.1 a RUV that my wife and I should give strong consideration to purchasing based on your personal ownership experiences?

[2] The range of comments concerning the road handling, sway, and overall tracking ability of this RUV have been all over the place from great to not so good. Where do you reside on this subject?

Safe travels!

Sincerely,
Matt
We purchased our 2015 Axis 24.1 in June of 2014. Handling was an issue from day 1 but we loved the size and layout of the unit so went to work solving problems. The tracking/steering was resolved with the addition of a front steering stabilizer. The sway and push from wind and other vehicles was solved with the addition of rear air bags. Both add on’s purchased and installed by camping world for less than 2K.

Just returned from an2,300 mile trip to the Michigan UP and enjoyed every mile.

Side note. Last night on the road at a small KOA in Statesville, NC there was our unit and another Axis as well as a Vegas. Love seeing this.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #30

THOR #11837
The tracking/steering was resolved with the addition of a front steering stabilizer. The sway and push from wind and other vehicles was solved with the addition of rear air bags. Both add on’s purchased and installed by camping world for less than 2K.

Wonderful. Thank you!

Those are two upgrades that we will definitely plan for with this purchase. This is one of the many appealing aspects of the 24.1 that steered us toward it as a RV of interest. Its purchase price is quite reasonable, and it leaves funds available to make subtle and more significant upgrades without breaking the bank (in total).

Might I ask what brands you chose for the Air Bags and the Steering Stabilizers?

Owner feedback is so very helpful.

Very Much Appreciated!
Matt
Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Base Camp Adventures View Post
The tracking/steering was resolved with the addition of a front steering stabilizer. The sway and push from wind and other vehicles was solved with the addition of rear air bags. Both add on’s purchased and installed by camping world for less than 2K.

Wonderful. Thank you!

Those are two upgrades that we will definitely plan for with this purchase. This is one of the many appealing aspects of the 24.1 that steered us toward it as a RV of interest. Its purchase price is quite reasonable, and it leaves funds available to make subtle and more significant upgrades without breaking the bank (in total).

Might I ask what brands you chose for the Air Bags and the Steering Stabilizers?

Owner feedback is so very helpful.

Very Much Appreciated!
Matt

The Steering Stabilizer is a Roadmaster - Kit# RBK11

The Air bag system is by “Air Lift”.

Both we purchased and installed by Camping World - done in Aug 2015 for less than $1,500. Not sure of cost increases over the past 3 years.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #32

THOR #11837
Wonderful. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #33

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #7910
Headlight Replacement on 2018 Axis

The headlight assembly is different starting in MY 2018. So, here's how I fixed a broken headlight on my 2018 Axis...

Remove the three Nyloc nuts and fender washers from the attachment posts on the back of the chrome plated plastic bezel surrounding the headlight and turn signal. Don’t unplug the LED accent lights. Just tilt the assembly forward and down to uncover the stainless holding ring around the headlight. Remove the three screws holding the ring, but not the headlight frame adjusting screws. Slide the headlight out and unlatch/unplug the light bulb connector. Reverse the process to replace.
The headlight has VOR DOT SAE HR 01 HB5 NS-2214S molded into the lens, but appears to be the same Kaper II L01-0035 Clear 5 ¾” Headlight used on previous models. I paid $20.70 plus $1.45 tax and it was shipped for free with Amazon Prime to my mailbox in two days. (The dealer quoted $107 for the part plus ~$100+ for labor and could get to it in a month or two.) I was very happy to spend 20 minutes of my time replacing it and avoid a 100 mile round trip to the shop.
(Notes: Turning the wheel away from the side being repaired helped access the lower/outboard nut and the other two nuts were easy to reach from under the hood. Refit the LED wires carefully back thru the slots and don’t over tighten the nyloc nuts. The turn signal assembly just has two nuts holding it on from the back and doesn’t require removing the bezel for replacement. The fog light is an independent assembly.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Broken Headlight Replacement on a 2018 Axis.pdf (2.39 MB, 170 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #34

THOR #2601
Matt:

I purchased our Vegas 24.1 new in aug 2015. I never got the front end aligned and I've done no suspension mods. We have over 20000 miles on it and I have never had any handling problems. It takes a little bit to get used to the handling. It's not an SUV or a car. It's on a truck chassis and so it handles like a truck. The steering feels like it has about 1/4" of play left or right before the wheels respond to the turns. That being said it seems like when you are driving it -- you are really driving it -- constantly making steering adjustments. After time went by I never even notice it.

Before you run out and spend thousands making handling mods -- go to a commercial vehicle garage and get the front end aligned. Then get the rig weighed based on how you will have it loaded and the weight distributed. After you get your weight indications go to the Michelon website and adjust your tire pressure based on the weights.

Or you can do what I did. I never weighed the rig as I would have it loaded. There is a decal under my driver's window that was put there by the Thor factory with recommended tire pressures based on the tire size and the weight of the RV. On mine it recommends 75 lbs in the front and 65 lbs in the back. That is what I carry. Your situation might be different so check what your specific decal says.

After all this before you make mods take a few trips with it. Drive on two lane and interstates. Get a feel how it handles. After that ask questions here on the forum about what characteristics you want to improve and ask others for what they might have done. You'll get tons of advice.

I do recommend getting the Safety Plus installed. It is designed to keep the steering straight if you get a blowout. Others claim it helps with the sway from passing trailer trucks, but since I don't have one I am in no way able to express an opinion on it.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #35

THOR #11837
After all this before you make mods take a few trips with it. Drive on two lane and interstates. Get a feel how it handles. After that ask questions here on the forum about what characteristics you want to improve and ask others for what they might have done. You'll get tons of advice.

That is sound advice, and I will, for sure, learn the vehicle's handling capabilities and tendencies to determine my comfort zone before seeking forum opinions and advice concerning whatever upgrades/fixes that I feel are necessary.

It does appear that correct tire pressure and an alignment are essential to safety and best performance. To me, it's no different for any vehicle regarding those two adjustments.

I do recommend getting the Safety Plus installed. It is designed to keep the steering straight if you get a blowout. Others claim it helps with the sway from passing trailer trucks, but since I don't have one I am in no way able to express an opinion on it.

This suggestion has resonated throughout many threads. If it offers added safety, I am all for it. My consideration list is always open for further additions, and each option will be explored in depth.

This forum has been a treasure trove of product suggestions already. I cannot even begin to express how much this helps for a new buyer looking to make well informed decisions with the support from seasoned RV veterans.

Thank you!
Matt
Old 08-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #12677
Vegas/Axis Manual

Terrific manual. As a retired Army aviation maintenance officer, it was prose to read. An actual manual - WOW. After years as a Goodyear engineer and making do with basically sales brochures for maintenance manuals it was a pleasure to get my hands on this work of art. Thanks Sir Great Job!!

Gene Garrett
USA, Retired
Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 AM   #37

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Alaska
THOR #13320
Ditto

I could not have said it better.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #38

Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #13980
Thanks for your efforts. I just downloaded and started reading, but it looks to be a valuable, we’ll written resource for any Vegas/Axis owner. Actually, by its assembly it could be of value to any motorhome/RV owner.

Looks to resemble AFM 66-1 slightly!
Old 12-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #39

THOR #2601
Toyman:

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you should mention AFM 66-1. My last active duty assignment from 2002 - 2005 before I retired was as Chief, Munitions, Missiles, Space Plans and Policy Division, Directorate of Maintenance, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon. As such my division was responsible for all the munitions and missile maintenance manuals and instruction. So that included 21-101, 21-200, 21-201, 21-202, 21-203. 21-204. In addition in my joint assignments to JCS I wrote logistics doctrine for the Joint Staff. I was also the staff officer who authored Joint Vision 2010 in 1999. So in my AF career I have spent a significant amount of time writings doctrine, policy, techniques and procedures, and operational plans -- not to mention writing specific technical data for maintenance procedures in missiles, munitions, B-52, and nuclear weapons operations. All of that was the basis for my Axis/Vegas owners' manual.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #40

THOR #2601
I posted a new version of the manual on the original thread's link. It is revised and edited from the previous edition. I also changed the format to 8.5 X 11" (based on user feedback) to make it easier to print on 2-sides and to file in a standard sixed notebook.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)