Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2023, 04:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
THOR #30793
Axxera AVM2210H, Android Auto, and Cameras

I have a 2024 Freedom Traveler A32, which is very similar to the ACE 32B.

So far, I'm having decent results using Android Auto with the existing head unit/display. The USB port for connectivity is below the radio, just above the passenger side of the doghouse. It works.

I'm also having good results with the cameras. Side mirror cameras work using the blinker, rear camera works when backing, and rear camera can be selected when driving.

When listening to the radio or XM, the side cameras activate automatically (properly) then return to the original audio source. Unfortunately, when using Android Auto, when the side cameras activate instead of returning to Android Auto, the rear camera is displayed. Steering wheel controls to toggle the camera "seem" to be inoperable at this point. The only way to regain control seems to be to power off the unit, then restart it. Unfortunately, that puts a serious crimp in the navigation functions! It's really a problem in a new city, when you've just exited the freeway, have another turn or two coming up, and you're stuck waiting for the unit to restart. So far, it's caused more than one missed turn. Short term solution was to run Nav from the phone, unplugged from the Axxera.

I've read the Axxera manual and don't find anything about the auto cameras. It has very little about Android Auto. I also haven't found anything poking around on configuring the camera controls. I did see some old posts here where the unit was NOT doing this (returning to rear view) and that had a firmware update.

Any suggestions on where to look or what to try? I'm going to look for current firmware for the AVM2210H as a first step.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The radio knows nothing about the side cameras because all 3 cameras feed into the backuo camera video in. The switching is done by an external switchbox that feeds the appropriate video signal to the radio and a trigger voltage.

So your radio is triggered to show a camera, shows it, but when the trigger is removed it still shows the video feed (default is the rear camera) if you were using AA. So this issue is probably only fixable by a firmware update to the radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #3

THOR #30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So your radio is triggered to show a camera, shows it, but when the trigger is removed it still shows the video feed (default is the rear camera) if you were using AA. So this issue is probably only fixable by a firmware update to the radio.
That's what I was thinking, so I've started the process of email support with "DUALAV", Dual Electronics, which is apparently the backend for Axxera Audio, also apparently Namsung Integrated Systems! Hopefully they'll have something, since Android Auto is useless if the video feed is going to interrupt and stay active rather than returning to the Android screen.

Thanks for responding.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #4

Model: vegas 25.6
THOR #31273
i have nothing but trouble with that radio. i have talked to the manufactur at lenght and they cant help me. i tryed to buy a new radio thor they think it is gold plated if you know what i mean. i liked it when it was working thats why i tryed so hard fix it but i gave up. the camers work so thats all i need
Old 12-20-2023, 11:46 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by river ben View Post
i have nothing but trouble with that radio. i have talked to the manufactur at lenght and they cant help me. i tryed to buy a new radio thor they think it is gold plated if you know what i mean. i liked it when it was working thats why i tryed so hard fix it but i gave up. the camers work so thats all i need
Several 10" swivel head double din units are available on Amazon (where I got mine), Crutchfield, Best Buy, and your local auto stereo shop.
So glad I ditched that awful Axxera POS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10%22 radio copy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	44558  
Old 12-21-2023, 01:10 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
I have a 2024 Freedom Traveler A32, which is very similar to the ACE 32B.

So far, I'm having decent results using Android Auto with the existing head unit/display. The USB port for connectivity is below the radio, just above the passenger side of the doghouse. It works.

I'm also having good results with the cameras. Side mirror cameras work using the blinker, rear camera works when backing, and rear camera can be selected when driving.

When listening to the radio or XM, the side cameras activate automatically (properly) then return to the original audio source. Unfortunately, when using Android Auto, when the side cameras activate instead of returning to Android Auto, the rear camera is displayed. Steering wheel controls to toggle the camera "seem" to be inoperable at this point. The only way to regain control seems to be to power off the unit, then restart it. Unfortunately, that puts a serious crimp in the navigation functions! It's really a problem in a new city, when you've just exited the freeway, have another turn or two coming up, and you're stuck waiting for the unit to restart. So far, it's caused more than one missed turn. Short term solution was to run Nav from the phone, unplugged from the Axxera.

I've read the Axxera manual and don't find anything about the auto cameras. It has very little about Android Auto. I also haven't found anything poking around on configuring the camera controls. I did see some old posts here where the unit was NOT doing this (returning to rear view) and that had a firmware update.

Any suggestions on where to look or what to try? I'm going to look for current firmware for the AVM2210H as a first step.

Thanks!

I have a 2018 ACE 30.1. The AxxERA radio delivered with my unit did not have the ability to run Android Auto. But frankly the screen on the head unit was nearly unreadable during the day. I doubt having Android would have been much use. I have been using Google Maps playing the audio output through the radio Bluetooth connection. The biggest "problem" I had with that is having the audio cut out whenever I used the turn signal. Of course, it is an issue when you are relying on the audio for the next turn info. I have missed turns because of the audio cut off with turn signal activation. I was not able to find a way to prevent the audio cutout. Nor could I find a way to keep the rear view after turn signal use.

Poor daytime viewability, audio cutoff, and constantly having to catch the phone when the suction cup lets go, most often just when I would need to refer to the navigation, prompted me to replace the head unit with a KENWOOD DNX775RVS radio with built in Garmin GPS navigation. With this NAV radio you can program in the weight, height and length of your coach and it will plot "safe" routes for your coach. This feature works well. There is a 5-ton bridge near my home. My RV has 9-ton GVWR. The only way I knew around this bridge required a 5-mile detour. The navigation was able identify a much shorter way around that bridge.

The new KENWOOD radio does not cut off the audio with turn signal activation. I can also see the image on the screen during the day as well which makes the camera views much more useful.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:42 AM   #7

THOR #30073
KENWOOD DNX775RVS is $2500-$3000. YIKES!!!

The above radio I posted a picture of is $340

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 12-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #8

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post

I paid just under $1,000 from Crutchfield. The DNX775RVS is no longer available. It's replacement is just under $1,700 from Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNR...NR1008RVS.html

Whoever you got that $3000 price from is trading on the fact that the DNX775RVS is no longer available and is a slimeball!

No, it is not cheep, but I spent less than I would have if I put a $350 unit in the dash and then had to go out and get a $900 Garmin 1090 RV navigation GPS with the same capabilities as the Kenwood I installed. Yes, you can now get the 1090 for around $700 now, but last year when I purchased the Kenwood the price for the Garmin standalone unit was much higher.

And yes, you can just use Google maps on your smart phone which I did on my trip last winter. I spent every minute of that drive whishing I had an in-dash solution like my Jeep and every auto I have owned since 2012 have had. The biggest problem was that I simply could not find a place to put the phone holder where I could both see the phone and have it stay in place. In addition, on that trip I missed three turns because there was a cell service interruption along the route.

I also found a non-Garmin $67 alternative. https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Li...p?ie=UTF8&th=1
At this price it looks really attractive, but this product has 21% negative reviews.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #9

THOR #30793
I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested a factory reset of the unit. That worked, and since then there have been no issues. I did adjust the unit brightness to the maximum. After that, it's done what I need it to do.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested a factory reset of the unit. That worked, and since then there have been no issues. I did adjust the unit brightness to the maximum. After that, it's done what I need it to do.
Great! Glad it's working for you now.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #11

THOR #31273
was it hard to install?? did it come with directions. looks like it might work for me. i have a vagas 25.6. any help would be great.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:14 PM   #12

THOR #30073
Quote:
was it hard to install?? did it come with directions. looks like it might work for me. i have a vagas 25.6. any help would be great.
Who are you asking this of?
Old 12-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Quote:
Who are you asking this of?
Egg-Zaaaactly!

"Hard" to install a radio is subjective, based on your DIY skills. Physically inserting a new double-din radio should be able to be accomplished by almost anybody, BUT installing the connection plug into the existing wiring harness requires electrical knowledge, ability to read technical instructions, soldering skills, and knowledge/skills to use a multimeter.

Easy for me but nobody here knows how easy/hard it would be for you.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #14

THOR #31273
i was asking SGilbert
that radio might work for me
Old 12-21-2023, 06:30 PM   #15

THOR #30073
Quote:
i was asking SGilbert
that radio might work for me
I would have tackled it, but a friend of my son was a Best Buy installer and owed my son a favor--free install!

On my Axis, the whole top to the center console comes off making access to the radio & connections very easy, as is the top of the dash for mic & access to the camera switcher.

It's somewhat cut & dry. Replaced mic with a better one and relocated it closer to me--by the dashboard.

The existing rear camera is far superior to the supplied one so that made it far simpler.

Only drawback, i have is, it is Android based, and I'm an Apple guy. Takes getting used to

I cannot tell from Dan's radio as to whether it is wireless CarPlay & Android Auto--This one is wireless &/or wired. It also is able to connect to the internet through wireless networks for updates and apps.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:00 PM   #16

THOR #28145
Quote:
Difficulty depends on your own basic skill and comfort levels in working on mechanical and electrical installations. From a physical perspective the installation is not demanding. It will take some planning and some basic mechanics and electrical tools. You will need to cross reference the wiring for the new radio to the wiring of the old radio. For this you will need the radio for the old radio and the manual that should come with the new radio. In my experience the wiring colors for the speaker hookups was the same for both radios. The differences were in the ground, power and signal wires for backup and dash light dimmer. Your best bet is to make a list like the one below identifying each wire on the old radio and correlating it to the new radio.

The radio should be connected to the RV with a short pigtail with one end having the radios connector and the other with a white Molex connector also shown below. I chose to purchase a new Molex connector and crimp the new radios pigtail to the pins for the new Molex connector. Splicing the wires is also a valid solution. Soldering is not necessary. While a solder connection covered by shrink tubing is the most solid, you can also just make the connections using butt crimp connectors. you just need to make sure you have properly crimped the butt crimp connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire match.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	44561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	44563  

Old 03-18-2024, 10:12 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Axxera replacement

Quote:

This has back up camera.
Q: Does it also have connections for side cameras?
Q: Two models... 32GB and 64GB....pros and cons?
We have 2022 Axis 24.1
Old 03-18-2024, 10:41 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
This has back up camera.
We have 2022 Axis 24.1
You don't need a radio with connections for side cameras. The 3 cameras are multiplexed external to the radio.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM   #19

THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
This has back up camera.
We have 2022 Axis 24.1
Yes & what Ace said also.
No clue, but, from what I know about computers, 64 is far superior. I got the top of the line. Quite happy, even though I'm not an Android guy.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:55 AM   #20

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You don't need a radio with connections for side cameras. The 3 cameras are multiplexed external to the radio.
The cameras are viewed on Axxera, which I want to replace. So I want to ensure the replacement will display all three. The one mentioned on Amazon has a (supplied) back up camera but no info on connecting the mirror cameras.