Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Lippert EuroLoft Bed System

Any thoughts on this overhead bed system compared to the ones being used on Axis/Vegas and other motorhomes?

Lippert ‘EuroLoft’ Bed Popular with U.S. OEMs | RV Business

Short video is interesting.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There still will be people who don't like it because it still is Lippert.

It does have the advantage of using--at least what appears to be--seatbelt "cabling". It is simpler than the Axis/Vegas bunk in that it uses only 1 motor instead of 2. There isn't any gears to strip.

I wonder if it swings any?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Lippert Systems

If it's manufactured by Lippert, I would assume it's under engineered, built in China with the cheapest parts available to a price point, rather than a quality standard. Also, repair parts will not be available, only "sub assemblies"
That cost a fortune, are totally proprietary, so not available anywhere else, and are as shoddily constructed as is all of Lippert's products.

Yes, lots of familiarity with Lippert. Whether it's their hydraulic levelers, hydraulic or electric slide mechanisms, or overhead bunk systems, ALL are low quality built to price point in China junk. Although, they are very proud of their junk and charge a fortune for it!

THOR seems to have a close relationship with them, and includes most of their systems as standard equipment. Birds of a feather is my observation.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There still will be people who don't like it because it still is Lippert.

It does have the advantage of using--at least what appears to be--seatbelt "cabling". It is simpler than the Axis/Vegas bunk in that it uses only 1 motor instead of 2. There isn't any gears to strip.

I wonder if it swings any?
Those are some of the same points that piqued my interest.

The single motor design is a huge departure from what they use on Axis overhead bed or on slides, where they depend on controls to time a mechanical system. That approach has potential trouble written all over it as far as I'm concerned, although in fairness it apparently works most of the time.

The bed seems supported from each corner rather than being cantilevered out from drive side like on Axis. That should make it all lighter.

It also looks from the video that the bed can be lowered to a greater extent, although I don't know how much lower an Axis bed could go if seats and other things didn't interfere below the bed.

As to swinging: I doubt it would move much. All applications on video appear to have one side along a wall or structure where they probably have linear guides to limit motion to mostly up and down.

If I understood it correctly, an interesting capability is being able to tilt as it goes up and down. That should permit a bigger bed in some motorhomes where front is rounded.

Load capacity seems pretty good too.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
The bed seems supported from each corner rather than being cantilevered out from drive side like on Axis. That should make it all lighter.
Bed on Axis/Vegas isn't cantilevered in the conventional sense: it is lifted from all 4 corners. The front 2 corners are held up via a cable that runs back to the lifting mechanism. I attempted to draw the arrangement here:

The cable transfers the weight of the front to the rear where the rack and pinion is. It is also setup so that as the bed goes up or down the cable keeps the front level.

The front weight of the bed is supported by the front pulley.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 AM   #6

THOR #2121
Thanks for information Jamie. I'll have to look closer for the cables next time I see one. Looks like a stronger design.