Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Lippert Jack Error - Retract Timeout

About a week ago, we brought up our jacks as we were preparing to leave a campground. Everything seemed to work fine until we disengaged the parking brake and then the Jack panel started alarming with “EMERGENCY RETRACT” and then showed READY Jacks: Up and then READY Jacks: Down. Eventually, the jack panel stopped alarming the audio tone but read ERROR: RETRACT TIMEOUT and then Return Levelers for Service.

According to the Lippert manual, this is indicative of a pressure leak but we see no signs of a leak in the system and the jacks are fully retracted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AB12E755-C671-4F03-8B31-A7E667A3C2E0.JPG
Views:	1061
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	6129

Name:	9E4D0C85-7552-421D-B549-02D2F0CEDDF2.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	6130

Name:	08B1A613-98B4-47E2-BE92-5EFC9B3E6F43.JPG
Views:	881
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	6131

Has anyone else experienced this? We have tried to reset the error message by pressing the Enter and Retract buttons at the same time. No change. We have also done a manual recalibration of level but that also did nothing to clear the error messages. We have been able to drive to our destinations but are wary that something may be wrong and a jack may drop while we are on the road. We have tried getting into a shop and calling mobile RV techs but everyone is weeks out from being able to schedule us... hoping for something to clear the error or else suggestions for a tech in the Upstate NY area. We have searched Google and most of the online RV forums but have tried all suggestions so far with no change.

We are headed to Syracuse for the FMCA Northeast Area Rally. We will check there as well... any help is appreciated!

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
About a week ago, we brought up our jacks as we were preparing to leave a campground. Everything seemed to work fine until we disengaged the parking brake and then the Jack panel started alarming with “EMERGENCY RETRACT” and then showed READY Jacks: Up and then READY Jacks: Down. Eventually, the jack panel stopped alarming the audio tone but read ERROR: RETRACT TIMEOUT and then Return Levelers for Service.

According to the Lippert manual, this is indicative of a pressure leak but we see no signs of a leak in the system and the jacks are fully retracted.

Attachment 6129

Attachment 6130

Attachment 6131

Has anyone else experienced this? We have tried to reset the error message by pressing the Enter and Retract buttons at the same time. No change. We have also done a manual recalibration of level but that also did nothing to clear the error messages. We have been able to drive to our destinations but are wary that something may be wrong and a jack may drop while we are on the road. We have tried getting into a shop and calling mobile RV techs but everyone is weeks out from being able to schedule us... hoping for something to clear the error or else suggestions for a tech in the Upstate NY area. We have searched Google and most of the online RV forums but have tried all suggestions so far with no change.

We are headed to Syracuse for the FMCA Northeast Area Rally. We will check there as well... any help is appreciated!
I just had this identical issue and it was a fluid pressure leak. I had the error message for a few hours, pulled in to a Sam's Club to fuel up. After fueling, I pulled into the lot to look things over and spotted a puddle of fluid under the left front jack. It turned out to be a loose hydraulic line fitting. I tightened the fitting and added 2 quarts of fluid. So, the system did recognize a pressure leak. It just took time for the fitting to get loose enough to leak. I recommend checking all your lines and fittings.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29m
State: New York
THOR #9134
I have the same issue with my 2018 Windsport 29m. Curious if you found out a solution. Have mine going into the shop on Monday, but have checked fluid level and all fittings. Drove it home from the dealer fine, and then two days later went to drive it and it was complaining about the leveler retract. Did reset and didn't work. Hopefully the shop will be able to tell me something as I haven't even been out in it yet.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #4

THOR #3761
We took it to the shop this morning. They did a controller reprogram but it did not clear the error. They are ordering a new circuit board and will call when it comes in, hopefully next week. Fortunately, the jacks work perfectly but the error alarm is very annoying.
FMCA - F457085
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 29m
State: New York
THOR #9134
Just gone mine back tonight, and they did pressure testing of all the cylinders and they passed, But upon driving home from the shop it still was in error. They are going to order another pump system, but I'm thinking that it is the pressure switch
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #6

THOR #3761
They checked fluid levels in ours plus all fittings and the pump and all of that was fine. It has come down to a sensor problem or a bad circuit board. So they are trying the circuit board... will post results after they replace it.
FMCA - F457085
Old 09-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Ran into same problem recently. Did notice oil leak RF Jack. Can not pin point leak though. Hyd line goes through the frame out of site towards the LF Jack. This is on a super C. Keep looking I guess.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #8

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We took it to the shop this morning. They did a controller reprogram but it did not clear the error. They are ordering a new circuit board and will call when it comes in, hopefully next week. Fortunately, the jacks work perfectly but the error alarm is very annoying.
Hit and hold the two buttons in the lower left hand corner simultaneously for about 3 seconds. The alarm will disappear.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsthompson View Post
Just gone mine back tonight, and they did pressure testing of all the cylinders and they passed, But upon driving home from the shop it still was in error. They are going to order another pump system, but I'm thinking that it is the pressure switch
So what did they find....board error and replace the board?
Old 07-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #10

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
I just had this identical issue and it was a fluid pressure leak. I had the error message for a few hours, pulled in to a Sam's Club to fuel up. After fueling, I pulled into the lot to look things over and spotted a puddle of fluid under the left front jack. It turned out to be a loose hydraulic line fitting. I tightened the fitting and added 2 quarts of fluid. So, the system did recognize a pressure leak. It just took time for the fitting to get loose enough to leak. I recommend checking all your lines and fittings.
Is there a diagram of the system showing where the fittings are?
Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Is there a diagram of the system showing where the fittings are?
Not sure about a diagram telling you specifically on the RV, but...

From my experience, the lines are full length, one piece, going from pump system to the jacks.

You will have to crawl under there to look at each jack, this may need a separate floor jack and some kind of blocks for safety, you must follow the hydraulic lines to the jacks themselves and put a wrench on the fitting (right hand thread, righty tighty-lefty loosie).

**Do not use the RV's level system to lift and support for you to get under there to put a wrench on the fitting nut!! Safety first and you do not want the weight of the RV coming down upon you without jack stands, or wood blocks (not cinder blocks, they will crush).**

Then at the pump and reservoir unit, check hose connections there too.

A hydraulics schematic will only show that the lines terminate at the manifold, and the jacks themselves, not where they are physically located on your rig.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #12

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Not sure about a diagram telling you specifically on the RV, but...

From my experience, the lines are full length, one piece, going from pump system to the jacks.

You will have to crawl under there to look at each jack, this may need a separate floor jack and some kind of blocks for safety, you must follow the hydraulic lines to the jacks themselves and put a wrench on the fitting (right hand thread, righty tighty-lefty loosie).

**Do not use the RV's level system to lift and support for you to get under there to put a wrench on the fitting nut!! Safety first and you do not want the weight of the RV coming down upon you without jack stands, or wood blocks (not cinder blocks, they will crush).**

Then at the pump and reservoir unit, check hose connections there too.

A hydraulics schematic will only show that the lines terminate at the manifold, and the jacks themselves, not where they are physically located on your rig.
Got under there today....found all the lines. They seem all snug to the finger test. None are wet with fluid...no fluid on the jacks....seems ok. I let the engine run about 10 minutes and released the emergency brake and then brought the revs up to about 2000 while turning on the levelers. they cycled up and read ready....no timeout error. I dont think there are leaks and thinking the "timeout error" is nothing more than a little low voltage until you charge up the engine battery....chassis battery.. I think it's called.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The engine should always be running when retracting jacks to avoid low voltage and the low voltage on the dash should clear before retraction as well
Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
I think a sensor senses retract. Call lippert customer service, they have always been helpful for me.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #15

Model: Miramar
State: North Carolina
THOR #1800
I have a Thor Miramar 35 2014/15 model. I got the time our error code. I've tried everything that others thought might fix me problem. The panel buttons don't change the display. I was told to reset to factory setting for the control panel. I removed all power to the coach for 15 mins. I still get the error code. I keep my coach on a cement pad. I have not had any signs of leakage. I tried going to Camping world but they can't take me until mid March. They are booked up. I'm traveling in FL for the next six weeks. I can travel since the pads are in the up position. This is the first site I've found with any kind of similar prolbem. I submitted on this forum in a different topic. Hope someone has the solution..
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsbook View Post
I have a Thor Miramar 35 2014/15 model. I got the time our error code. I've tried everything that others thought might fix me problem. The panel buttons don't change the display. I was told to reset to factory setting for the control panel. I removed all power to the coach for 15 mins. I still get the error code. I keep my coach on a cement pad. I have not had any signs of leakage. I tried going to Camping world but they can't take me until mid March. They are booked up. I'm traveling in FL for the next six weeks. I can travel since the pads are in the up position. This is the first site I've found with any kind of similar prolbem. I submitted on this forum in a different topic. Hope someone has the solution..
Did you download the manual for your system as suggested in the other thread and check the 100 Amp DC breaker?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #17

Model: Miramar
State: North Carolina
THOR #1800
Leveler error code.

I down loaded the manual. Tons of reading. I did find how to search for "error" codes. Here is closes fix I've found.

"JACK TIME OUT" System could not level in expected
time.
Check for obstructions, leaks, fluid level and
voltage to power unit motor under load.

I did check for leaks. I have not found the fuse. I'll look again now that I know what to look for. I did find smaller fuses.

Thanks for keeping in touch with me.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Curious if you're pump motor runs?

If not often there is a fuse in or near that compartment

Often the reason a large fuse trips is voltage drop after engagement of the load
Old 02-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Hit and hold the two buttons in the lower left hand corner simultaneously for about 3 seconds. The alarm will disappear.
I've encountered this error a couple of times and used this method. Both times I had battery issues that left me with low voltage. Not sure if that is related but I found it coincidental.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #20

Model: Challenger GT
State: British Columbia
THOR #5323
I have the same thing. Did you find a solution?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C337571B-1D99-46DA-850A-C0D130456B97.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	31009   Click image for larger version

Name:	062181BF-260B-4EEA-B51E-26F10E7E4CA5.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	31010