Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Lippert leveling system questions

Had a few questions that I hoped someone could answer. I think Thor neglected to include the Lippert leveling manual for my 2018 Thor Ace. 1. When auto leveling is there a way to limit how far the jacks go down, my system is picking tires all the way off the ground (already reset zero a couple of times. 2. When using manual mode is there a way to lower two jacks together or do I have to retract all. 3. What type hydraulics fluid do I use? 4. Do others have an issue of “level” changing when slide is extended?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - No, not that I'm aware of.
2 - Manual mode always operates the jacks in pairs. There is no way to do a single jack.
3 - 5WT Standard Hydraulic Fork Oil is what I've been recommended although I understand ATF would work as well.
4 - It may change a little depending on what your jacks are sitting on, but it should cause your jacks to "compress" unless they have air in them.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
1. When auto leveling is there a way to limit how far the jacks go down, my system is picking tires all the way off the ground (already reset zero a couple of times.
Many find auto level raises the rig more than might otherwise be needed... Haven't seen a good solution other than manually level.
(Mine doesn't do it to extreme - but does raise more than needed.)

Quote:
2. When using manual mode is there a way to lower two jacks together or do I have to retract all.
From question I assume you mean 'raise' or retract just a pair...
No way that I know of - retract all and start over.

Quote:
4. Do others have an issue of “level” changing when slide is extended?
I typically raise the left side (in my case the large slide) just a little past level to account for weight shift when slide deploys. Could set the zero point that way - but I just manually 'tweak' it...

Manual leveling is really very simple... Here's what I do:
  • Lower front jacks till both touch
  • Lower rear jacks till both touch
  • Adjust pairs as needed - following arrows on panel
  • 'Tweak' left side just a bit higher to account for slide
  • Verify with bubble level on floor/counter
  • Ask DW if it feels level enough for her..
Even auto leveling - the last three steps still apply.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
jacks

although they operate in pairs you can kind of focus on one jack,

say passenger front is way low, i manual i run the 2 front down until the drivers front just touches. this get the front pass down some, then i finish with the 2 pass side jacks. not perfect but works pretty good.

i always use man control.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
I’ve said this before, but you guys are a blessing. I am very happy to have access to this forum!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Same her Zeagle!! So guys, can you run the "pairs" down as front and rear pair AND left side or right side pair? When we left last night, the wife auto-retracted all but there was a "right arrow" blinking. I looked at everything and all seemed up, so we left.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
When we left last night, the wife auto-retracted all but there was a "right arrow" blinking. I looked at everything and all seemed up, so we left.
Anytime the leveling system is on the system will indicate which pair of jacks need to be lowered to level the coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

THOR #11130
THANKS...we were leaning to the right!!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Here's what I do, after many 'experiments' in 82,000 miles...
*for those with air bags, check the last statement at the bottom

- press Manual mode, only - I don't do that 'auto' no more!
- the lit ARROWS will tell you which side/end is LOW
- press the arrow for the opposite set of legs that are low, allow them to touch the ground and only lift the coach a slight bit - you now have a 'stable' side/end that is already somewhat 'level'.
- now press the arrow that is lit, for the LOW side/end, allowing it to touch then lift until it automatically stops, at LEVEL(it even does this 'auto stop' in Manual mode, nice, though you CAN keep going, if you desire(?))
- you're now Level! easy.

you now have all four levelers down, and you should be at your minimum 'level' setting... typically with NO tires completely off the ground, unless you are on pretty unlevel ground to begin with.

[if you go 'past' level, or decide to retract one side/end back, stay in Manual mode, and press the 'Auto Retract' for only the amount of time to allow all four to retract a few inches. You never 'have' to retract the legs all the way back.... then simply start over, paying attention to the lit Arrows on the panel.]

Now, sometimes it's easy since only one side/end is 'Low'... but when TWO Arrows are lit, meaning that you are Low on both a side AND a end, you'll take the extra means for the second pair, but really it's about the same. Allow the first pair to touch and lift slightly, then take care of the opposite side, again, only slightly lifting, then take care of the Second lit arrow pair, until all 'lit' arrows are gone and 'LEVEL' is lit(center).

Another things I've found: When you have pressure on a side/end pair of legs, and then you press a side/end that is not opposite(a 'corner'), you'll feel the 'drop' of one of the legs while it 'syncs' with the other you are now pressing. Odd, of course, but the design is to always move in pairs. If one leg is already on the ground, with weight on it, and you press an arrow that 'touches' it, then you are asking that leg to move again, only now it is 'moving' with another leg that is not yet down. In effect, it is releasing it's hydraulic fluid while the other leg comes down to the same level, before it then builds hydraulic pressure in that cylinder. : interesting, but true.

Advice: I've found that when you are well 'lifted', you may find that using the 'Auto Retract' will cause some substantial 'bouncing' down while the legs are being relieved of their hydraulics, as the fluid does not leave all of them simultaneously.
One way to 'best' avoid this, at least the 'continuous' bouncing, is to be in Manual mode, and only press the 'Auto Retract' for a second or so at the time, giving a pause in between. When the bouncing is not evident any longer, you can press Manual mode to to back to 'Auto' mode, and then press 'Auto Retract' and the system will return all the legs back to their store mode.

*for those of us diesels with air bags: I've found that airing up the bags, if you dumped them prior to originally leveling, will many times pick your legs up off the ground before you even go to retract them... meaning, no studdering or bouncing, since you've already removed the pressure.

Nice : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Turner...this is great and thanks!! This is the first MH I've ever had with auto jacks. When we arrived at the track Friday, on quite an incline, the wife hit the auto button. It felt like we were in space capsule ride at Disney. I thought then...this can't be right and this can't be good!!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
FWIW, all of the manuals are on Lippert's site. https://www.lci1.com/hydraulic-level...ized-leveling/

My recommendation is to identify which system you have and read their manual fully. Their manuals are pretty well written.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle63 View Post
Had a few questions that I hoped someone could answer. I think Thor neglected to include the Lippert leveling manual for my 2018 Thor Ace. 1. When auto leveling is there a way to limit how far the jacks go down, my system is picking tires all the way off the ground (already reset zero a couple of times. 2. When using manual mode is there a way to lower two jacks together or do I have to retract all. 3. What type hydraulics fluid do I use? 4. Do others have an issue of “level” changing when slide is extended?
I gave up on auto level for same reason. After deploying the jacks and slides, my Hurricane will settle a bit low on the driver's side a few hours later. LCI recommends Dexron/Mercon 4 (trans fluid). With the RV level and jacks up, fill jack fluid tank to no more than 1/4 from the lower part of the tank neck.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Here's an instance of a manual leveling epic failure...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1525790076
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa_SB.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	10130  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
You can get the manuals on the Lippert website. Also there is a Lippert app for your Android phone that has them as well.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #12125
Rear Passenger side jack grounded, but didn't extend further when rear lifted

Great info on this thread, thanks to all for the contributions!

I've had an intermittent issue with the rear passenger side jack when using Auto-Level (note - I just downloaded the manual so I can use manual load in the future).

2016 Hurricane 29M, note that I am parked in a very off-level spot on a combination of pad and dirt.

All jacks ground, the auto level works and gets the coach level. But the rear passenger jack was about 1-2 inches off the ground.

So I started over, this time watching what all the jacks did from outside the coach.

Front grounded and then lifted.

Rear grounded.

Front left and right adjusted individually.

Rear lifted, but only the driver's side jack. This essentially lifted the rear passenger side jack off the ground slightly.

Got the "success" message and the coach was level, although lots of movement when walking around inside due to the rear passenger side not being grounded and having any tension.

The rear passenger side of the coach was actually the highest point in the site just as an FYI.

I would have thought that when the rear lifted for the last time, that both the driver and passenger would have lifted simultaneously.

I retracted and started over several times, but got the same result each time.

Tried it again at home in front of the house on much more level ground (only a slight dip on the passenger side of the coach due to the gutter) and all four jacks were grounded and had tension.

So I'm not sure if I have a problem with the leveling system or if the spot I was in was just too out of level to somehow cause the system to do that.

Anybody else experience or hear of this?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
Could your rig have been "lifting a leg": in order to pee?
Sorry
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
A couple of things I found with this same LCI leveler system:

1. In one of the outside storage compartments on my RV is the controller for the levelers, mounted to the ceiling of the compartment. (On my Windsport it's in the same compartment as the batteries). The original mounting was a little loose, so with vibration it had shifted position slightly. When the unit changes how level it is, that is the new "level" position for the levers. In my case it just took a little larger screws to tightly fasten the controller to the ceiling of the compartment. Then of course, you have to re-calibrate...

2. When you calibrate the level position, do it in as level a spot to park the RV as possible. Then, MANUALLY set to level position with a bubble level on the floor of your RV. What I discovered is that if you set the level calibration with your leveling jacks just high enough to take pressure off the tires, without lifting them up off the ground, the automatic leveling won't try to extend the jacks as much.