Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Low-Cost 2nd Alternator vs Generator

A Ford salesman reported the dual 250-Amp alternator option on 2020 Transit will have a MSRP of $495. That’s a small fraction of cost compared to aftermarket 2nd alternator kits used on most generatorless motorhomes built thus far.

As discussed in other threads, this new OEM equipment can bring an inexpensive generatorless motorhome option closer to high-volume reality. By adding larger battery bank and larger inverter/charger, it will be much easier for RV manufacturers to build a “light” version of the Volta system at a much lower price. Cost of the 2nd alternator was greatest unknown. We still don’t know what Ford may charge for this option on E-Series with 7.3L V8, but it should be in similar range.

Most important to me is that by being OEM (Ford), there shouldn't be warranty issues and the installation should be built to a higher standard of refinement and reliability.

Let’s hope RV manufacturers capitalize on this OEM dual-alternator option and start offering a system with price similar to an Onan gasoline generator. It can be marketed as an option so buyers can make final decision.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats good news. It would be great If they pair with about 500(+) amp hours of lithum batteries with a 1800/2000 watt inverter.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That is a neat idea: as long as the engine up front is okay with idling for long periods of time, with no airflow around it...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Well I think what Chance is getting at is a mini "Volta" system. Volta system has like 10K of watt hours on the market right now.

I think they have a 13.5K power system as well for a big DP.

So you would only run it like 2 -3 hours a day (?) to charge a big battery bank for all day power (which could run your AC)

https://voltapowersystems.com/news/w...-2019-travato/
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Oh, I just read the article. They can charge the 10K system in "under 90 minutes"! Thats awesome.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I think what Chance is getting at is a mini "Volta" system. Volta system has like 10K of watt hours on the market right now.

.....cut.....

An inexpensive system may be quite a bit smaller than the Volta system on high-end diesel pushers like Thor built as a prototype for RV show (which had something like 3 X 3600 Watt inverters, over 20 kWh battery bank, and around 11,000 Watt alternator if I recall correctly to match 50-Amp service), but if compared to most Volta systems on Class B, B+, C and A which have a single 3,600 Watt inverter (to match 30 Amp service), then it’d be a little smaller but not that “mini” by comparison.

It would come down to how much weight in AGM batteries one wants to haul around, or how much money one wants to spend on lithium batteries.

I’d like to see the dual 250A Transit alternators tried out on the Cross Trek except with 2 or 3 batteries of 330 Ah each.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...age-18128.html