Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24DL
State: Arizona
THOR #13075
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Can someone give me an idea of what I might expect for maintenance cost and dependability if I switch to Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter based unit ? I am thinking of upgrading and have some worries due to my ignorance about diesels. I am looking at years 2014 to now. Is one year better than another for the Sprinters ?
Hi, we have a 2018 Thor Four Winds on a 2016 MB Sprinter chassis. Zero problems with the MB. Our last trip we pulled our Jeep Wrangler, 4 down. It’s near the towing weight limit, but other than slowing to around 52 mph going up 6% hills not an issue. We got 13mpg towing on this trip. I have added an oversized sway bar and might look into external transmission cooler next summer, just because I’m conservative...also you will need to keep some DEF on hand..

Old 10-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Prism
State: Illinois
THOR #1631
I bought used 2013 sprinter 5600 miles in 2015 and retired in 2016.
Oil change was missed on 5000. MB dealer in NW Chicago ask $160. Seen everything change every 10000. Never use MB again. Filter cost $12-16 online. Mobil 1 oil available on each corner. Fuel filter ($85) every 20000. First time replaced by mechanik and I watched him. Second will try by my self. I am against any MB recommendation like “adjust something”.
In general Sprinter is good base.
Look around how many Sprinter used by FedEx and other.
Why they do not use other manufacturers?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyamin View Post
Look around how many Sprinter used by FedEx and other. Why they do not use other manufacturers?
They probably have balanced any extra costs; against their projected lifespans... and made the right decision.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #24
TMD

Model: Synergy Class C
State: Texas
THOR #16695
We've been told our first oil and filter change will be $450 at one Mecedes dealership. We found a Sprinter place that will charge around $200. The first oil change is at 20,000 miles. We looked at the 2019 then found out the 2020 was a much better chases and transmission. It drove better as well and had better accessories.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it's $450; but is good for 20,000 miles: that's not really all that bad on a per-mile basis.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #26

THOR #1631
I think first oil change on 20000 is wrong advise. Read your manual.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That 20,000 mile number tracks with what Mr dealer told me...
Old 10-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #28

THOR #1631
Oil interval

Something new for me. Maybe new models are different.
In my service manual Recomended interval is 10000.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
Hi Gayman,
for your 2013 it is 10,000 per a conversation with MB it changed to 20 starting in 2015. We found a Navion IQ 24V and hope to pick it up Friday. Love that extra ground clearance and floor plan. Going to replace the "comfort sofa sleeper" with something else not sure what yet. Anyone out there replaced theirs ?
Current coach: Itasca Navion IQ 24V
Former coach: Thor 22FE
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #30

THOR #5767
Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Can someone give me an idea of what I might expect for maintenance cost and dependability if I switch to Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter based unit ? I am thinking of upgrading and have some worries due to my ignorance about diesels. I am looking at years 2014 to now. Is one year better than another for the Sprinters ?
We have a 2015 Sprinter . Plenty of power, Love the downshift up shift Transmission. 15 plus Miles per gallon There is a A and a B maintance. We live just south of Asheville and need to go to Christopher Trucks for factory maintenance. Not all Mercedes dealers due Sprinters so check that out. A service is at 20,000 miles B service is at 40,000. A service cost me $591 at Christopher trucks. That was oil change and fuel filter. I was told B is Oil Change ,fuel Filter and trans. service about $800. But I suggest you get a quote from the dealer .We are at 26,000 miles so I do not need the B service for a while. I do not know where your closest dealer is. Knoxville , Charolotte or some place EasT of you. We have thought about selling but not sure yet . We would want 70,000. It is the 24sr with 2 slides. Howie
Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #31

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
RVwithDogs,
Please keep us posted. With retirement on the horizon in the next two years we are wanting to do more long distance traveling and at 8.5 mpg the Vegas is a bit fuel hungry. I like the numbers those with the Sprinter have reported in this thread. NOt sure why diesel fuel is nearly $1 more per gallon but if it gets 50% better gas mileage (13mpg) it may be something to look into. NOTE: I have never owned a diesel vehicle, suspect there is a learning curve.
BTW: I saw in an earlier post that you are from Asheville, we are just down the hill from you in the Maiden/Lincolnton area. Let me know how your RV does on that strip of I-40 between Asheville and Old Fort (towing and not towing)!

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We are also newbies to these "oil burners", and have been very happy with ours.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #33

THOR #15887
DocMike
"The Hill" as we call it here is a fun ride even in a car ! I may miss that V10 Tow Haul mode.. We like a campground in Rutherfordton, NC called 4 Paws Kingdom and will be going back sometime soon, will let you know how it does.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #34

THOR #15887
Thanks Howard, A dealer told me about Christopher Trucks. I most likely will do Oil and Filters myself. Not as agile as I used to be but I can still crawl under one , just slower.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #35
TMD

Model: Synergy Class C
THOR #16695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We don't have anything around here that approaches that...
Sorry: we need some more "Sprinterites" to chime in with their experiences.
We've taken our MB Sprinter to the Texas Hill Country and the Ozark Mountains. I've been impressed that this Class C takes to the mountains very well. In Texas I drive the speed limits which is 75 on most roads and it handles like a van. In the Ozark we drove 55 and 60. I'm not sure how heavy this Thor Synergy is but this is one heck of a diesel. It gets up inclines. We got 13.9 miles to the gallon on both trips. I'm not sure I'd do 85mph on our Texas roads that allow it, 75 was just right down the highway.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570975328
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny Patriot.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	20802  
Old 10-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Comparing apples vs oranges????

The Sprinter diesel is rated 188 HP. Up to this year their chassis GVWR were limited to 11,000 pounds so part of performance and fuel economy is due to smaller size and lower weight compared to larger gasser motorhomes, particularly since larger rigs often tow a toad.

Cummins estimates Diesel engines to have 20~40% better fuel economy when compared on similar power and size. That sounds about right since gas versus diesel half-ton pickup trucks are in range of 25 versus 30 MPG highway on EPA controlled testing for basically same truck.

I personally wouldn’t expect 50% higher MPG for diesel when comparing similar size motorhomes. Problem is there are not many Class Cs the size of Sprinter Cs running on gas to compare against.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #38

THOR #15887
What brand of DEF is best ? My Local Advanced Auto Parts has BlueDef . Does the Sprinter care what it eats ? Are the containers usually Date Coded so one can tell how old it is ?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #39

THOR #5767
Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
RVwithDogs,
Please keep us posted. With retirement on the horizon in the next two years we are wanting to do more long distance traveling and at 8.5 mpg the Vegas is a bit fuel hungry. I like the numbers those with the Sprinter have reported in this thread. NOt sure why diesel fuel is nearly $1 more per gallon but if it gets 50% better gas mileage (13mpg) it may be something to look into. NOTE: I have never owned a diesel vehicle, suspect there is a learning curve.
BTW: I saw in an earlier post that you are from Asheville, we are just down the hill from you in the Maiden/Lincolnton area. Let me know how your RV does on that strip of I-40 between Asheville and Old Fort (towing and not towing)!

DocMike
Hi Doc We live in Horse Shoe. At Ingels gas is 239 today and diesel 289 so only 50 cents more for at least a third better mileage. Whenever we leave here we go down a big Mountian or if toward Johnsonville Tn then up. So it all equalls out but stays the same, plus the power. We do not tow. I carry a Honda moped . Thinking about a toad but not sure. The cost of it etc. If we are at a place for a week we will rent a car. going this week to Kerr Lake. Nect week to Hunting Island St Pk. I will check the mileage coming back up but should be close to the same .Do not usually carry 40 gallons of water but will this time like I did to Michigan trip in May. Mileage stayed the same.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #40

Model: Mandalay
State: Montana
THOR #15834
Jasper

For my busines I had a 2003 Dodge Sprinter with a Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel engine. That is maybe the best outfit I have ever owned in my 70 years. I sold it with 450,000 miles on it. I of course had some basic maintenance over the years but nothing major. It still ran like a top. When it got below 0 it took some prodding to get it started (warm up the battery, warm up the oil, give it a shot of ether etc.) but over all it was a great outfit. It consistently got 20 MPG around town and 25 - 26 MPG on the highway. When we down size motorhome I will definitely be buying a motorhome on a Mercedes chassis with a diesel engine.

Tags
mb v6 sprinter