Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter Question

Can someone give me an idea of what I might expect for maintenance cost and dependability if I switch to Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter based unit ? I am thinking of upgrading and have some worries due to my ignorance about diesels. I am looking at years 2014 to now. Is one year better than another for the Sprinters ?

Current coach: Itasca Navion IQ 24V
Former coach: Thor 22FE
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I haven't had mine long enough to give you any advice...
But they sure seem to be every bit as good, as anything that you've heard about them. Mine seems to be getting a bit over 15 mpg steadily. It drives beautifully, has all sorts of safety features that I'd be hard-pressed to defeat, and my Missus says that it drives just like a big van...
Just remember to keep a container of DEF in your garage, and you'll never have a problem.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

THOR #15887
Thanks Bob, If I may add to the original question, How will she be going down long hills? We have lots of 7% long grades here in NC, can the Sprinter take all the downshifting ?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We don't have anything around here that approaches that...
Sorry: we need some more "Sprinterites" to chime in with their experiences.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Steve and Rebecca
I am on my 2nd Mercedes Benz sprinter chassis motor home. I first had a 2016 Winnebago that we bought back in 2015. We drove it to/from Albuquerque from Anaheim Ca. a couple of times as well as all around the local areas putting about 15,000 miles on it. I had to get the oil changed once since it is scheduled for 20,000 miles. The 1st one is just an oil change (14 quarts) and filter. At the MB dealership it runs about $225.00. The 2nd service is a bit more expensive if you go to the MB dealership (they say about $700) for the oil change, filters and valve adjustments. My first one I only had the 1st oil change and then traded it in for a larger 2018 MB chassis class C Thor Siesta. The first one had no slides and no overhead bunk which made it more aerodynamic getting about 18 mpg in diesel. Now my current 2018 Thor Siesta, I average 13-14 (I drive above 65 most of the time). We went 6700 miles back in mid April returning the end of May across 13 lower states from Ca to Florida and up to Kentucky and back. As far as power, it has no problems climbing grades and going downhill. We then took 2 trips to Tombstone Arizona (1,000 miles each rt), then off to Yellowstone National Park (2600 miles rt) and then to Salt Lake City and back. I think I go through about 4 gallons of DEF every 7500-8000 miles. It is very easy to drive and park. I had little to no problems driving and parking in Yellowstone National Park this past July. It seems easy to drive above the speed limit and some of the areas we were able to set the cruise to 78 mph with no problems. I did a couple of mods to it to improve ride and comfort. I added Sumo Springs that replaced the factory bump stops. It cut way down on the side to side sway and they were easy for me to install myself. I also had a rv shop install The Equalizer Hydraulic Leveling System to level it out when we park. Makes sleeping, sitting and walking around inside much better. The motor home did come with electric stabilizers but they only "stabilize" it when parked not level it.

Plus my wife wanted something she felt comfortable driving in the event she did drive it.

Paul
Old 10-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I felt as if it pulled nicely off the bottom=end; but felt a bit weaker at extralegal speeds.
(But I'm comparing it to my 2018 V-10... )
Mine came with SumoSprings front and rear, and I think that they'd be the first thing that I'd add to any RV that didn't have them.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

THOR #15887
Thanks Paul, that is some great info. Starting to lean toward the Sprinter now, considering a Navion but considering others (Thor) as well.. Rebecca wants something easier to drive !
Old 10-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You could always take a look at ours... We've been loving it!
Old 10-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #16927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Can someone give me an idea of what I might expect for maintenance cost and dependability if I switch to Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter based unit ? I am thinking of upgrading and have some worries due to my ignorance about diesels. I am looking at years 2014 to now. Is one year better than another for the Sprinters ?
I have a 2017 Thor Sesta 24SA on Mercedes Benz 3500 with diesel engine. We just got back from a two week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. I towed a small buick on a dolly. I have learned several things. A second oil change is very expensive at MB dealer, I paid over $950 in Midland, Texas. Also the ability to pull much is limited to 5000 pounds and that is not enough for many 4 down rigs. I have a car dolly and hate it. Too hard to hook up, straps come off and difficult for a 71 year old to take off.
It drives well and has enough power in the mountains if I USE THE GEARS. I would be very careful examining the beds on the unit you are looking at because ours is not a slide out bed and too small for two.
If I buy another one it will be longer, bigger bed, and tow at least 8000 lb. I do not get very good MPG about 10 1/2 to 12.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 34R
State: Arizona
THOR #16912
Our experience with our 2015 Winnebago View Sprinter...

Our '15 View Sprinter was great! My (and not my wife's) problem was the size of the bathroom/shower. I'm not a big, big man, (6', 220 lbs) but the shower was just not big enough for me. And that's why we sold it. But, BUT, for 65,000 miles it was fantastic! We bought it new, and after getting the "new coach bugs" out of it, there was never a problem. As far as the grades in your local area, ours came with (all Sprinters?) a "tip-shifter" where you tap the gear shifter sideways and it down-shifts. I never had troubles going down step grades, and never "smoked" the brakes. It was a great vehicle...never EVER let us down!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #11

THOR #15887
Thanks Everyone,
My fears have subsided.. I test drove an older unit with 40,000 miles on it just to what it was like. Wow, just like driving a big car ! Had to walk away from it because CW was being hard to deal with regarding the previous service history. This was a 2014 v6 and the only previous history they would provide was done at 38,000 miles (oil and fuel filter) and the check engine light was on. They kept telling me thats not a problem because the Sprinter only needed service at 20,000. I called Mercedes in Knoxville (where that unit had been serviced) and had a good talk with the service office who let me know real fast that CW was mistaken, service intervals have changed. For 2013 it was 10,000 then 2014 was changed to 15,000 then anything starting in 2015 is the 20,000. Granted, the engine may be fine and I am sure there may be lots of folks who prolong service trips without any harm but i just wasn't comfortable. Oh well, there will be others to look at..
Some good news for those Sprinter owners in and around Asheville NC. I was talking with the Service department at Mercedes Asheville (who presently can not service Sprinter RVs) and they are building a new facility which will have Sprinter Bays , they say should be ready in 9 or 10 months..
Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you're feeling better about having narrowed your focus.
Now; you just need to find the right deal... and dealership!
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Old 10-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #13

THOR #12698
Another quick post on my Sprinter. The change oil came on around 16,000 miles so I made an appointment and went into my local MB dealership for the oil change. The service rep told me that MB required oil change was at 20,000 and that I could wait until I hit the 20,000 mile mark. He said that I could have it changed but that I would be shorting my mileage for the interval by 4,000 miles so I went out and will return once I hit the mileage for the oil change. I have a 2018 Thor Siesta on a 2017 sprinter chassis.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
20,000 miles? That's way beyond my comfort level for oil...

I start getting sweaty palms at about the 5,000 mile mark!
Old 10-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #15

THOR #12698
That is it why I went in once the oil service came on. On my last sprinter I went in around the 15,000 mile mark. I know it holds a lot of oil, but that is what he told me. I have one short trip to take and then I will return to have them change it out even though it still won't be at the 20,000 mile mark.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've always felt that oil (even lots of it!); is still a heckuva lot cheaper than engine repairs...
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I’ve had mine a little over a year. I just turned 11,000 miles. I haven’t had a single issue
Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's cool...
Other than our chassis battery going dead: ours has been going about it's job in a "silent and efficent" manner...
Old 10-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
20,000 miles? That's way beyond my comfort level for oil...

I start getting sweaty palms at about the 5,000 mile mark!
Synthetic oil is much better and longer lasting
Old 10-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #20

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
17000 miles and would highly recommend for many reasons stated.

Tags
mb v6 sprinter