Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #8841
Mice

Hi, it’s just me and my two dogs, mice invaded our Thor Chateau, three years in a row , I live rural, traps and peppermint oil only effective in the beginning, was wondering if I put a lamp on in the RV, on a timer during the times I’m plugged in on my driveway, would anyone feel that light might deter the buggers from coming into the rig, they ate holes through the cushions and also the battery wiring had to be replaced, under the hood they made nests.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Drier sheets. I have had mice chew up the wiring on my lawn tractor and nest in the seat while it was stored for the winter in the garden shed. I was told (and now do) to put drier sheets under the tractor hood, seat and battery compartment. It works, no mice in the Cub Cadet the last few years even when I see mice in the shed. I change them out about once every 6 weeks during storage season to keep the scent fresh.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Get yourself a couple of mean, feral cats...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556402112
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumpy-cat.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	16928  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have used dryer sheets with limited success. One year I found the kleenex box with shredded tissues everywhere and mouse poop all over the dryer sheets. In a bad winter the mice will find their way in.

The best solution I have found is moth balls. I buy 2 bags in a box. I put a bag in each compartment under the motorhome, 2 bags in the engine compartment, and 3 or 4 bags in the generator.

I don't put any inside the motorhome. They can't get into the coach if they can't get into one of the compartments or engine area. The bags last all winter so I just leave them in place. You do have to remember to remove them when starting the generator monthly. I also spray around the wheel wells monthly with peppermint oil mouse repellant.

This doesn't keep them completely out of the generator or engine compartment (I'll occasionally see mouse peep but NEVER in the coach) but does keep them from staying long enough to do any damage.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Don't care for cats, feral or otherwise. Other than humans, cats are the only species that kills for fun. Recommend snakes. When parked long-term, make sure any local Rat Snakes, Racers, King Snakes etc that live around the property are undisturbed - they will help keep rodent population down. A pet snake (like a Boa, Corn, Ball Python) with free rein of the rig will take care of any rodents during traveling season. Just be aware that any hole a rodent can get "in", your pet may get "out".

Alternatively; we've heard that Irish Spring soap in basement compartments and strategic inside locations will keep rodents out. We've tried that for the last year, and have seen no rodent sign inside the rig.

But we also have at least 5 resident snakes on our small property - so your mileage may vary.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Snakes... That's not a bad idea!
Thse will help to discourage the trespassers also!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556404240
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	king-cobra.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	16932  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice oroblems