Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Vegas / Axis “Driveability”

I’m looking for input. On our 2017 Vegas (E450) we have added Safetplus and front and rear sway bars. We have had the alignment adjusted to the recommended positive tow-in settings.

All this resulted in a much improved driving experience with noticeable improvement in reduced “push” from passing semis and less sway during turns or on uneven roads. Driving in wind conditions less than 15 mph is no problem.

So, my question is; is there further improvement available that would help in 20 - 25 mph cross winds? Would the sumo springs, front / rear or both provide further improvement? Anything else that would be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:36 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrandd View Post
I’m looking for input. On our 2017 Vegas (E450) we have added Safetplus and front and rear sway bars. We have had the alignment adjusted to the recommended positive tow-in settings.

All this resulted in a much improved driving experience with noticeable improvement in reduced “push” from passing semis and less sway during turns or on uneven roads. Driving in wind conditions less than 15 mph is no problem.

So, my question is; is there further improvement available that would help in 20 - 25 mph cross winds? Would the sumo springs, front / rear or both provide further improvement? Anything else that would be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any input!
The only other thing that we did over and above what you already mentioned was Koni shocks and Sumo Springs in the front only. As far as cross winds go, they still suck but not quite as badly.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We have the factory sway bars and steering stabilizer. Put Toyo Ht's on the front and this was a big improvement over the Michellens. Never have like that tire brand, side walls damage to easy.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Sumo springs, front & rear ALL issues were solved for me. If I had yo do it over again would be Saf-t-Plus & Sumos. Wait till u see the Factory front stops compared with Sumo... I'm driving 1 handed again.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

THOR #5711
Thanks for your input. I just ordered the Sumo Springs for front and rear.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You've made a good choice!
Keep in mind that you can never make things feel like a private passenger car, and it'll help...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #7

THOR #5313
I have a Roadmaster damper.

Think sumo springs in front then possibly hellwig sway bars.

Drives decent. Semis will push but I usually move to opposite side of my lane and it ends up no issue.

Odd as it may seem, handles best above 60 MPH and with trailer behind.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Bob’s right, good choice. We put Sumo Springs on our Axis 25.2 and liked the results so much we are putting then on our new coach.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:14 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I went with Bilsteins and Sumos. The shocks made a huge difference. On uneven transitions the rig would porpoise 5 or 6 times but now only once or twice. I think the Sumos really help in the winds but I can't isolate their contribution. The ride is much more confident.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
regarding the Sumo Springs...has anyone installed any themselves on an Axis/Vegas? The Youtube video on installation shows a different bolt configuration on the front than on the Axis/Vegas. The nut is on the bottom. My question is how do you access the top of the bolt? or am I not seeing how to access it? I'm not seeing how to get a tool on it.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
IMHO with any top heavy spring suspension RV there will be modifications needed to help make it easier to drive. Depending on wheel base to bumper-to-bumper ratio your RV will either need one or two mods or a bunch so it won't be a terror to run down the highway in it. On our Challenger 37GT we did front end alignment, CHF, Safe-T-Plus, and Sumos all the way around. After all those modifications it went from a horrible vehicle to drive to something manageable, but still not a pleasure.

The only way to be able to run 65mph down the highway with two fingers on the wheel and not get pushed around by passing semi trucks is to be in a 40' or longer tag axle DP. When I get passed, or the few times I pass a semi they are the ones fighting the wheel to stay straight in their lane, not me.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #12

THOR #5711
Just as a follow up, I had the Sumo Springs (front and rear) installed this morning. As luck would have it there was a 25mph cross wind when we took it back home for a 30 mile drive. The improvement was noticeable with far less sway, roll and a firmer ride! For reference, the shop I used charge 2 hours of labor to install the Sumo Springs I provided.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
I ordered a pair from Amazon today after I crawled under my RV and loosen one of the bolts (10mm socket) and it's pretty easy since I have levelers which lift the chassis. I'm only doing the front so I hope to save $100 (one hour labor around here). I used a mirror to see that the top side of the chassis is only the bolt-screw coming through the chassis frame and no nut. I'm hoping the Sumo springs bolt fits through it without me having to drill it out. It should stop the porpoising over bumps.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #14

THOR #5711
It should be a pretty easy install. I don’t have the jacks or I would have done it myself. When you compare the Sumo’s to the factory “bump stops” you’ll see how much more substantial the Sumo’s are. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in drivability. Good luck with your install.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7074
I did not take a photo side by side of the front bump stop and a front Sumo but it would be neat to post a picture it's unbelievable I would have to say that's where 90% of the people are feeling their sway.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I find it odd that this thread has many handling enhancement references but not one that actually "fixes" wag (that some call sway). Consider a track bar or panhard rod. It prevents solid axel side to side spring flex movement caused by external forces like wind, passing vehicles and toad.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7074
True. I guess will wait for the follow up after His first test run.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I ordered a pair from Amazon today after I crawled under my RV and loosen one of the bolts (10mm socket) and it's pretty easy since I have levelers which lift the chassis. I'm only doing the front so I hope to save $100 (one hour labor around here). I used a mirror to see that the top side of the chassis is only the bolt-screw coming through the chassis frame and no nut. I'm hoping the Sumo springs bolt fits through it without me having to drill it out. It should stop the porpoising over bumps.
The Sumos just screw in to the hole that you took the bolt out of. Just spin them in, the bolt is integral. I installed mine and it took longer to get everything set up, jacks, stands etc, than to do the install. I have done nothing else and can drive with one finger, except in HEAVY wind.
Semis are no issue.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I find it odd that this thread has many handling enhancement references but not one that actually "fixes" wag (that some call sway). Consider a track bar or panhard rod. It prevents solid axel side to side spring flex movement caused by external forces like wind, passing vehicles and toad.
I've been trying to find a track bar for my Vegas (E350) with no luck. Anyone here have one on their rig?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #20

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I've been trying to find a track bar for my Vegas (E350) with no luck. Anyone here have one on their rig?
I put the one from SuperSteer/Henderson on my Axis soon after I got it and that's all I did for a couple years. I think Blue Ox was the other one for the E-series that I was considering. FWIW ... I didn't choose based on what one I thought might be better ... it was a cheapest at the time choice.