Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini TK
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #14078
I look forward to your review of the Sequence. My previous motorhome was a PleasureWay as well and although my Gemini provides more space, for me, there is still something special about the B class.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I wondering then if the NP and such would then start to have 'air conditioner run times' restriction if folks could power them without even a generator - "oh, they're so loud!"

: /

....cut......
Not all A/Cs are loud outside, so that part is an easy fix if it became necessary. Mine can not be heard even if standing next to it. Granted, it’s small, but shows that mounting A/C inside, like they do Cool Cat and larger basement units, can essentially make them silent to other campers. With sound insulation and venting condenser down towards ground, noise doesn’t have to be a problem.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #43

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiTK View Post
I look forward to your review of the Sequence. My previous motorhome was a PleasureWay as well and although my Gemini provides more space, for me, there is still something special about the B class.
I’m leaving Canada today and will meander down the East Coast to Florida over the next two weeks. I am planning to stop overnight in Tampa at LazyDays and look at the Winnebago Travato 59K and then over to General RV to look at a Sequence. I’ll post my impressions.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #44

THOR #17107
Sequence

Were you able to do your comparisons? How much is the new Sequence with Lithium Power Package?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Saw a Sequence this afternoon. It was discounted to just under $80k. They also had Winnebago Travato without lithium for roughly same price. I don’t like either twin bed floorplan so didn’t look at either closely. The Winnebago had higher MSRP but also more discount.

For me lack of forward-facing seats in back, plus the small fridge and microwave under counter height are deal breakers — but I didn’t need to see them in person for that.

The new window-in-a-window were interesting and looked nice from outside. It was a little stiff to open and close but I expect that will improve a lot with practice and a little wear. Regardless, the opening is small but large enough for most of our needs. The Travato optional dual-pane windows on a different van I liked much better, but are expensive.

I was there to look at a Class C so didn’t spend much time on vans.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #46

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan100 View Post
Were you able to do your comparisons? How much is the new Sequence with Lithium Power Package?

Thanks in advance...
We stopped at General RV in Tampa to see a Sequence and then at Lazy Days where they had several models of Travato open out front. The two units are very similar except for the MSRP. My wife liked the interior of the Sequence better than the Travatos except for the upgraded front seats on the Travato and the extra windows that open in the Travato. The Travato has small windows that open midway over the beds, while the Sequence only has one - over the kitchen. The AC in the Travato is not hooked to a thermostat, it just runs off of exterior switches, while the Sequence has a thermostat. Some items in the Sequence like the bike rack are part of the price while they are add ons in the Travato. The MSRP of the Travato is over 25K more than the Sequence, but you can find it discounted 25% while they are only discounting the Sequence 11%. That will change as more are shipped to other dealers. No one had any information on the Sequence with the lithium package. In the Travato, the lithium package is 20-25k more than the regular one.
We are considering downsizing after 6 years in a Vegas and an Axis and I was impressed with the “space” in the Sequence. My wife thought that she could live in that space for our 2-3 week trips back and forth to Nova Scotia and it has all the “pieces” that the Axis does. The shower seems as big as the Axis (a major point for us) and it seems a fair trade off to lose the separate bedroom for the smaller size. However, I drove the Sequence for about 20 minutes on an interstate and rural back roads. After the Axis, I found the driver’s seat in the Sequence small and the legroom cramped. I can and do drive my Axis for 8 hours a day for 2-3 days in a row. I am not sure I could do that in the Sequence. That will be a show stopper for me. I need to go drive it again, before I am ready to purchase. In addition, the current $80k price tag price tag is too high. When they start discounting them 25-28% like all the other Class B’s on the market, it will bring the price down to the mid $60k. That will make it reasonable to me. However, I still will need to convince myself that I can drive it all day comfortably. I drove my Vegas 14,000 miles to Alaska and back without an issue. I only need to drive a Sequence 2000 miles to Nova Scotia. It will be a poor trade if I don’t like doing that.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #47

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1492
That should be fixable with some memory foam or gel seat cushions. They have been a game changer for me.

Depending on where you require additional support, there are a multitude of choices. Check Amazon.com.

Try this Amazon search link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
However, I still will need to convince myself that I can drive it all day comfortably. I drove my Vegas 14,000 miles to Alaska and back without an issue. I only need to drive a Sequence 2000 miles to Nova Scotia. It will be a poor trade if I don’t like doing that.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #48

THOR #1765
That might help. More worry for me is the reduced leg space on the driver’s side. I have been able to stretch out my legs when on autopilot and there is not as much room to do that. But extra cushioning would help my butt. My wife is worried that seats are not as comfortable and she had already searched Amazon for possibilities. It is also the size of the seats. They are not near as wide as the Axis which it to be expected since the Sequence is 12” narrower. It’s a trade off, but one that may be worth it for us. MHSRV is supposed to start to get theirs in December, so the price should come down. General RV and everyone else has them discounted 13%, while all the rest of their Class Bs are discounted 25% or more. MHSRV says they discount everything 25% so I expect the Sequence to drop to around $69k when they get them. We’ll see.
Coachman has also come out with a new floor plan for their Beyond Class B, which is similar to the Sequence 20L and Travato 59K. The only real plus for those two for me is the additional opening windows. However, I have found a company that sells replacement windows for the Dodge Promaster that have a large slide opening window. They are about $600 so for about $1000 each I can have one installed over the couch on either the passenger or driver’s side, if we found that necessary. Brats the $10-30K additional cost of the Travato or Coachman. Probably going to look again at the Tampa RV show in January and see if the price has come down yet. No hurry to change.We still love our Axis.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #49

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut......
Probably going to look again at the Tampa RV show in January and see if the price has come down yet. No hurry to change.We still love our Axis.

Winnebago might also have their new ProMaster-based Solis at Tampa, which I would like to see out of curiosity because some features I like, although its overall design is a little too strange for me. If you like the twin bed floorplan with bathroom at rear, I’d guess you wouldn’t like the Solis floorplan at all. Winnebago must have tried reducing cost well below Travato, so I don’t even see a generator, or lithium option. Specs don’t even show a large AGM battery with inverter like on some Coachmen. It’s pretty basic and on shorter van.

Are you waiting for info on Sequence lithium package, or are you more interested in base model with generator? Hopefully Thor will have specs and pricing on lithium by Tampa show.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #50

THOR #1765
The lithium package will probably be $15-20K higher than the generator equipped one and while I love the idea of boondocking without a generator, I will never come close to amortizing the cost or even using it enough to justify paying that much for it.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #51

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1492
A few points:

Actually, the Sequence has two opening windows behind the cab - one in the galley and the other on the sliding door. By using either or both of the roof fans in the bedroom and bathroom with the windows open, you could have more than enough air flow for nighttime cooling while sleeping with the the side door shut. That's something for an early adopter or shopper to test.

Regarding Sequence MSRP and discounts, remember that Thor has purposely come into the Class B market at a lower price point with a lower margin to pick up quick market share. At the current MSRP they will probably never be discounted as much as a Travato with a higher MSRP and profit margin. I've seen new Travatos being discounted as high as 37% in private quotes.

There are pluses and minuses with each product. For me it would be a matter of choosing the coach whose shortcomings can be modified the easiest.

Regarding the Lithium upgrade on the Sequence, apparently Thor is partnering with MasterVolt for the system. MV appears to have a lot of experience in the marine industry with lithium solutions, so let's hope that their prior experience carries over well to the Sequence product.

Quote:
That might help. More worry for me is the reduced leg space on the driver’s side. I have been able to stretch out my legs when on autopilot and there is not as much room to do that. But extra cushioning would help my butt. My wife is worried that seats are not as comfortable and she had already searched Amazon for possibilities. It is also the size of the seats. They are not near as wide as the Axis which it to be expected since the Sequence is 12” narrower. It’s a trade off, but one that may be worth it for us. MHSRV is supposed to start to get theirs in December, so the price should come down. General RV and everyone else has them discounted 13%, while all the rest of their Class Bs are discounted 25% or more. MHSRV says they discount everything 25% so I expect the Sequence to drop to around $69k when they get them. We’ll see.
Coachman has also come out with a new floor plan for their Beyond Class B, which is similar to the Sequence 20L and Travato 59K. The only real plus for those two for me is the additional opening windows. However, I have found a company that sells replacement windows for the Dodge Promaster that have a large slide opening window. They are about $600 so for about $1000 each I can have one installed over the couch on either the passenger or driver’s side, if we found that necessary. Brats the $10-30K additional cost of the Travato or Coachman. Probably going to look again at the Tampa RV show in January and see if the price has come down yet. No hurry to change.We still love our Axis.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #52

THOR #1765
We’ll see on the windows and sleeping at night. On the price, MHSRV’s pricing policy states that they discount all new RVs 25% or more below MSRP. While they could change their long time policy and advertising just on the Sequence, I am hoping not. In my tentative discussions with a different dealer, they did not reject out of hand getting the price down into the high 60s - however we did not discuss how much he would give me for my Axis. At the RV shows, in the past, Thor has given dealers about $5000 incentive money to boost sales. If Thor actually ships Sequences to MHSRV this year, given that RV sales in 2019 are running 29% behind 2018, maybe the price will drop to my comfort level. If not, I don’t really need one this year. We have looked at both the Travato and Sequence and actually like the Sequence a little better. There is not that much difference.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Apparently battery prices are falling faster than predicted:
https://insideevs.com/news/382892/ba...ating-rapidly/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is good news, that we've all been waiting to see!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Apparently battery prices are falling faster than predicted:
https://insideevs.com/news/382892/ba...ating-rapidly/
At present $187/kWh on “average”, it could definitely make a difference on how RVs are designed. Unfortunately that’s still not showing up at retail for RV battery replacement; not even close. A 100 Ah battery, at 1.2 kWh, still costs much more. Obviously there’s the difference in battery chemistry. I also expect quoted prices are for bulk battery capacity, and doesn’t include assembly or battery management or thermal protection systems.

Awesome news though. When 10 to 20 kWh becomes that affordable for an RV, not only will we be questioning need for generators, we’ll question propane also (particularly those who camp in mild weather).
Old 11-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Give it 18 Months:they'll catch up!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574097529
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patience_grasshopper.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	21516  
Old 11-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #57

THOR #2121
For what it’s worth, the lithium option for one of the luxury brands of Hymer, now owned by Thor, has the price at 7,555 Euros. I believe that includes a 3,000 Watt inverter/charger, 250 Watts solar upgradeable to 500, and 3 X 100 Ah batteries for 285 Ah useable capacity.

I’m not certain, but think these motorhomes don’t have a generator as a base case, so in US cost difference may be even lower if generator is left off; although greater battery capacity would be needed.

Depending on battery capacity, it may cost as little as $10,000, maybe less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96F6C1A4-A9FE-4299-AF5B-D0DD686D6AB5.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	21520  
Old 11-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
I don't know if you saw this announcement yet or not:

https://qz.com/1753005/teslas-pick-u...oming-tonight/

It seems that Tesla has something new to share...
Old 11-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #59
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chance,
I don't know if you saw this announcement yet or not:

https://qz.com/1753005/teslas-pick-u...oming-tonight/

It seems that Tesla has something new to share...
Yeah but this announcement earlier was cooler, LOL:

For those of you who say it isn't a Mustang: A Mustang is whatever Ford calls a Mustang...its their baby.

To be fair: I've got nothing against Tesla. I even considered a Model 3 before picking up the Bolt. Come on, though: its a Mustang LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm sorry...
I cannot, and never will: accept a 4-door Mustang SUV!

Now a '67 Shelby with a 427 side-oiler...