Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You mention "Watts" verus "Watt-hours".
Can you explain how those two terms are referring to different things.
(Some of us have to check three times: before putting batteries in flashlights! )
Could they just be mistakenly contracting "Watt-hours", to "Watts"?

I don't know "watt" I am talking about...
Watts is a power rating; it is a rate of change (like speed).

Watt-hours is a capacity. Thus burning so many watts for such and such a time uses up X Watt-hours (like position which is speed * time).

Thus a battery can contain 5500 Watt-hours of charge and be discharged at a 5.5kW rate for an hour before its dead (neglecting usable capacity).

A good explainer (and says the same thing I just did above LOL):
https://enphase.com/en-us/support/wh...-and-watt-hour

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for putting into simple terms for this simpleton!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #23

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Do these batteries last forever? I've been using my gen set and batteries for 10 years now. That works out to only a few dollars per year. Seems like sooner or later you got to use some good ol reliable fossil fuel to keep the lights on.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrockytop View Post
Do these batteries last forever? I've been using my gen set and batteries for 10 years now. That works out to only a few dollars per year. Seems like sooner or later you got to use some good ol reliable fossil fuel to keep the lights on.
No, forever is too long a time.

My guess is that they won’t last anywhere close to their projected cycle life. I’m skeptical of most marketing claims.

However, if batteries are only discharged deeply a dozen times a year, they might last longer than the RV. A life of 500 to 1,000 cycles down to 20% (state of charge) would be enough for my needs if used to power air conditioner overnight. I don’t expect to boondock 500 to 1,000 nights. I expect boondocking 10 times a year requiring A/C, so number of cycles should never be an issue for me. I’d bet lots of RVers would use batteries in a similar manner.

No doubt a generator is cheaper than lithium batteries if having to power A/C for hours at a time. But many campers or travelers don’t use the generator that often or for that long because they go from campground to campground.

In my opinion buyers who will pay the lithium premium won’t do it thinking of saving fossil fuels. I think it’s more about the convenience, and lack of noise and exhaust fumes. I’m very interested in this technology, but not to save gas/fuel. I’m burning less than 1.3 gallons of gas a night, so not that costly or important. Getting rid of generator would be “priceless” (not literally).
Old 10-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #25

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I agree. The real benefit to me would be the ability to run my A/C in a NP or NF or state park that did not have electric. I not only like to stay in these places because they are cheaper, but because they are generally much nicer overall than commercial campgrounds. I would much rather be in the woods than crowded close together with electric. It’s just what like and a non-generator lithium battery RV would fit my lifestyle. I’m seriously looking to downsize to a Sequence type Class B. I have loved my Vegas and Axis for the last six years, but I am about ready for something smaller again. I started out with a Pleasureway Class B, maybe I will end with another Class B. The “biggie” for me is the shower. In the final analysis, that was what got us from a Class B to a Class C. If the shower is as useable as the Axis (I don’t have real high standards) I just might switch.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I wondering then if the NP and such would then start to have 'air conditioner run times' restriction if folks could power them without even a generator - "oh, they're so loud!"

: /

yes, I like these no additions to the camping club, with the ability to be 'generatorless', but still have the capability of powering larger 120v appliances, at least for some number of hours - though I may see that having the unit 'automatically' start the engine of the vehicle in order to recharge the battery bank could have the NP creating new restrictions on not only 'air conditioner' run times, but 'engine' run times!

If my fellow camper neighbor's engine started up at 2am, right next to me, and ran for several hours non-stop, yep, I'd have a problem too.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #27

THOR #1765
Yes. I would think the NP restriction on generators also applies to running your engine, but probably not running an A/c intermittently on battery, although you might get a complaint from a nearby tent camper. You would need to pick your site carefully, but in my experience, RVs and tents are often in different areas. In a lot of instances, you really don’t need to run your A/C all night, but the knowledge that you could do so might be enough to make the decision to camp there.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind, however, that a class B has all of the OEM designed sound suppression in it. This would make the main engine very quiet compared to your average 5kW Onan in a coach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #29

THOR #1765
It would on the inside, but I am not so sure on the outside in a quiet campground. I never had a problem in the Axis running the A/C while running the generator with noise inside. But outside was a different matter.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind, however, that a class B has all of the OEM designed sound suppression in it. This would make the main engine very quiet compared to your average 5kW Onan in a coach.
I agree, although no idling restrictions will make it necessary (or at least preferable) to not run van or motorhome engine during the night.

Fortunately, at night a van can be cooled easily with 5,000 BTU/hr A/C, and I’d bet with good insulation and quality windows it can be done with much less than that.

Basically, these battery banks with useable 600+ Amp-hour (13 VDC) should keep a van cool all night without needing the engine. What’s missing are compact DC air conditioners that are much smaller than the 20,000 BTU/hr unit used by Coachmen, but with similar energy efficiency ratings of around 16~17. There are smaller rooftop A/Cs powered by 12 VDC, but the ones I’ve seen are too small for daytime cooling. Something in the 10,000 to 12,000 BTU/hr range with ability to operate at about 3,000 BTU/hr or lower is needed badly. With a good turndown ratio it will also make the A/C quieter at night.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #31

THOR #1765
The new Sequence has a 9,000 BTU A/c and I hope on a normal night it would be able to keep that small area cool without running the engine.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The new Sequence has a 9,000 BTU A/c and I hope on a normal night it would be able to keep that small area cool without running the engine.

Specifications show the Sequence comes standard with 11,000 BTU/hr Power Saver, 2,800 Watt Onan, 1,000-Watt inverter, and two AGM house batteries. I checked and La Mesa has a bunch of them with MSRP sticker confirming standard equipment. It’s all fairly standard for mass-produced van campers.

The only listed option I see is the “Power Pack Electrical System”, which I think one video said would be available at a later time. Whether that system will have a 9,000 BTU/hr A/C I have no idea.

Realistically, the main reason to spend so much money on high-capacity lithium batteries and upgraded electrical is to run A/C off grid for extended periods. And while the 11,000 PowerSaver is efficient, manufacturers could do better with even higher efficiency A/Cs, particularly if running directly off batteries without inverter. Variable speed A/C is key to save energy at night and also make unit quieter.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #33

THOR #2121
As reference, this 20,000 BTU/hr 12 VDC air conditioner claims to only pull about 96 Amps at 95 F outside temperature. I have no idea of cost or how good it is.

That’s about 1,150 Watts, which for 20,000 BTU/hr is an excellent EER of around 17. Compared to standard RV A/Cs plus inverter, a unit that efficient should be able to extend cooling time by about 50%. That’s the kind of system integration these motorhomes need, except that 20,000 BTU/hr A/C is way too large for a well-insulated van (unless A/C can run slower which makes it more efficient still).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	694C43B5-1653-4B0E-A484-8F2FECF5B408.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	20653  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A 20,000 BTU air conditioner on top of a Class B!?!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570116785
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jackcicle.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	20656  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #35

THOR #2121
At other end of capacity/size range is a small A/C that is listed from 3,250 (max) to 2,240 (min) BTU/hr. Claimed 12 VDC power consumption is from 180 to 350 Watts, which means an EER of only 9 to 12. Even so, for overnight sleeping in a van that should make it comfortable. It probably wouldn’t even need a large and expensive lithium battery bank — may get by with a few large AGMs.

If my van wasn’t so old, I’d consider installing one of these for sleeping at night as an experiment; knowing it wouldn’t do much cooling during the day. Would first need to look into cost and quality which I don’t know about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09C5072B-5196-492F-A0C2-D10F228B9802.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	20657  
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For sleeping at night: wouldn't just a simple fan be sufficient?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Not for me, and definitely not for my wife. When it’s in the high 70s F and close to 100% Relative Humidity, a fan isn’t enough for us to sleep comfortably. We’ve tried it numerous times. On the other hand, as soon as we start the generator and small A/C, and it starts to lower humidity in van, everything changes within 15 minutes or so. Higher temperatures seem easier to deal with than excessive humidity. Much depends on where you live.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Got it!
You are correct: the humidity makes a ton of difference.

I live in an area of New York, where air conditioning is just not a necessity. We have a small window unit; but we never even bother to put it in anymore.
I guess it's too easy for me to forget that not all parts of the Country are the same...
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #39

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A slightly different tack based on the generator vs battery vs a/c noise thing:
I'm semi actively thinking about considering to formulate a thought about, taking a look at,
The generator noise.
I have some handy chrome motorcycle mufflers that quiet my shop air compressor A LOT and have measured the 24.1 for a muffler add-on.
BUT
the majority of the generator noise is not cylinder firing or exhaust, it's the damn cooling fan.

What do we think of electric fans, like on most of your car radiators, to cool the generator?
A big advantage is the 12v fan could be timed to run a few minutes after the generator kicks off to prevent heat soak.

Muy decibels quieter these electric fans, all but unnoticeable with the correct baffling.

Baffling indeed... I'll start a
Let's disembowel our generator
Thread....
Old 10-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Muy decibels quieter these electric fans, all but unnoticeable with the correct baffling.

Baffling indeed... I'll start a
Let's disembowel our generator
Thread....
And here it is: almost pumpkin carving season...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570129246
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1477414657472.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	20659