Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Auto Gen controls

I'm trying to get more familiar with the AutoGen function on our 2016 Challenger. I understand how it's suppose to work, and so far it has functioned ok. In reviewing the info, I found that there are some adjustments that can be made to quiet time settings, temp settings, etc. I have not been able to locate the control. Can anyone tell me where it's located? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as far as I know, unless the '16 models were changed, the Magnum ME-RC Panel should be where it all happens.

If you are using it, then you obviously already know this, and all the other 'controls' are right there within the same panel, though several that also have to do with the Generator power might not be under the 'AGS' button, such as the SHORE button, or Shore Maximum setting, which tells the Battery CHARGER how much amperage it can make use of, in BULK Charge mode.
The Shore Max setting is partly a way to preserve AMPS when you are not on full 50amp RV park shore power, but also the way to tell the system that you want to FULL output of the Charger to the batteries, when off-grid. The lower the number, the LESS the Charger will have use of, such as when you are plugged into a household 15amp outlet, or when you are running the generator and want not only BOTH air conditioners and almost everything else during a hot off-grid time, but not as worried about how 'fast' the batteries get charged.
When you are off-grid, and want the AGS to most effectively Charger the battery bank whenever the Generator is run, then the Shore Max setting should be on 50 or higher, which tells the Charger that it has full run of all the amps it needs, during the generator run time. You'll also want to trim back your usage of other appliances, though, such as using both air conditioners, while this is in play, otherwise you could trip the generator's Breaker.

The other setting is the LBCO, I believe found in the TECH button menu.
It is the Low Battery Cut Off for the Inverter, to keep the inverter from continuing to allow 120v devices to draw down the batteries should either the AGS not be able to start the generator, or simply because the AGS has been told not to by the 'Quiet Time' setting. If the Inverter continues, and the battery voltage drops below this setting, such as 11.5, then it cuts OFF the inverter, and a red indicator light will then show on the Magnum display.
If you lose inverter power due to this setting, it is preserving your batteries from further loss, which is a powerful and safety tool..otherwise they might drop so low that you wouldn't be able to start the generator at all, even after the 'Quiet Time' hours have passed, such as in the morning.
What we've found, with a residential fridge, is that the LBCO cutting off the inverter during the late early morning hours is not a big deal. The fridge is a big cooler, after all. A few hours without power is not going to change much.
Also, the Inverter will power back on, automatically, once the battery bank is back up to a 12.5 voltage. So if the LBCO cuts it off overnight, when the generator starts up in the morning by the AGS, or you start it manually, once the charger has given the battery bank an ample shot of voltage, it will come back on by itself.

In our travels, we've used the following AGS and related settings, when off-grid overnight:

- AGS Enabled, or with Quiet Time if in a park or campground that requires it
- AGS VOLTS at 12.0, which starts the generator once this setting is reached for at least two consecutive minutes
- AGS RUN TIME at 30 minutes, which we like because the generator runs for only a relative short time, especially at night while sleeping, and still give the battery bank enough charge to last several more hours
- SHORE button, Shore Max setting of 50, when off-grid and the AGS is employed to keep the battery bank charged - more power to the batteries.
- LBCO setting of 11.5, limiting the Inverter in case the AGS fails to start the generator

You can also use the AGS to start the generator when the inside TEMP is too high, and your AIR CONDITIONER(s) are ON and you want the generator to keep the coach cool, either while you are away(pets, etc), or even during the overnight when you don't want to have to get up and constantly turn the a/c units on or off.
If you employ this, and you can do both VOLTS and TEMPS at the same time, you set the AGS TEMP setting to the Temperature you wish for the a/c unit(s) to come on, and you set each Thermostat to 1 degree BELOW that AGS TEMP setting. This is because you want the Thermostat to already by in READY mode when the AGS starts the generator and 120v power becomes available to the air conditioners, causing them to cycle on. Otherwise, you could have the generator start, and run for the full time you set on the RUN TIME, and yet the a/c unit did not come on because the Thermostat's temperature never yet reached the point of putting the a/c unit in READY mode.
The TEMP setting will still use the RUN TIME you set for the AGS.....BUT, if the inside temp has still not fallen BELOW the AGS TEMP setting, the AGS will again crank the generator for another RUN TIME of power.

all good, all fun.... you don't know what you don't know, until....

you've experienced it yourself!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #3

THOR #7580
Thanks for all the info and the quick response. I apparently don't have the setup you describe. My AGS switch is small and only allows me to enable, disable or test the system. The things you described in your last paragraph are what I'm wanting to look at. Where would I find those settings?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #4

THOR #4735
without a picture I'm just guessing that you have only the AGS Module, maybe near the generator, with several knobs that you use to tell it 'why' 'when' and 'how long' ... you may not have the capability to do much more, since the other 'settings' are probably built-in and can't be changed. The REMOTE simply let's you do that from within the coach.

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...S-S-manual.pdf
Old 03-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #5

THOR #7580
The switch is located just inside the door in the stairwell. I'll try to send a pic tomorrow. Our previous coach had what you're describing. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 AM   #6

THOR #4735
yep, I've delivered many brand new coaches from the factories to dealers all over and have seen almost everything - and I mean everything DIFFERENT from one coach to the next!

Factories make decisions about what products and systems to install in their coaches, maybe based on the length, size, height, weight, whether gas or diesel, or any other differences, maybe even by which factory building or location it is built at, but sometimes make no rhymes or reasons why the difference.
I would suggest that a Challenger, while almost identical to the Palazzo, would have very similar products and systems, since the real difference is only the 'gas' versus 'diesel' platform.
But, I digress, since apparently a gas generator does not rise to the same installation of systems as the diesel version, or else it's the price point between the two, or maybe something that only has to do with what someone in the 'gas' design team decided to install versus the 'diesel' design team across the hall! Who knows.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how they so easily and sneakily HIDE the very switches that you need when you first enter the coach, or the one in the rear closet that you can't find, for your life, with no way to turn it off.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #7

THOR #7580
Looking at the link you provided, I've got the remote switch in the stairwell.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 AM   #8
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Check your storage bays on the opposite side of where your generator is mounted, coach door side usually. Mines tucked up high on my last bay mounted to the right when viewed from outside.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 AM   #9

THOR #7580
Will do, thanks.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as far as I know, unless the '16 models were changed, the Magnum ME-RC Panel should be where it all happens.

If you are using it, then you obviously already know this, and all the other 'controls' are right there within the same panel, though several that also have to do with the Generator power might not be under the 'AGS' button, such as the SHORE button, or Shore Maximum setting, which tells the Battery CHARGER how much amperage it can make use of, in BULK Charge mode.
The Shore Max setting is partly a way to preserve AMPS when you are not on full 50amp RV park shore power, but also the way to tell the system that you want to FULL output of the Charger to the batteries, when off-grid. The lower the number, the LESS the Charger will have use of, such as when you are plugged into a household 15amp outlet, or when you are running the generator and want not only BOTH air conditioners and almost everything else during a hot off-grid time, but not as worried about how 'fast' the batteries get charged.
When you are off-grid, and want the AGS to most effectively Charger the battery bank whenever the Generator is run, then the Shore Max setting should be on 50 or higher, which tells the Charger that it has full run of all the amps it needs, during the generator run time. You'll also want to trim back your usage of other appliances, though, such as using both air conditioners, while this is in play, otherwise you could trip the generator's Breaker.

The other setting is the LBCO, I believe found in the TECH button menu.
It is the Low Battery Cut Off for the Inverter, to keep the inverter from continuing to allow 120v devices to draw down the batteries should either the AGS not be able to start the generator, or simply because the AGS has been told not to by the 'Quiet Time' setting. If the Inverter continues, and the battery voltage drops below this setting, such as 11.5, then it cuts OFF the inverter, and a red indicator light will then show on the Magnum display.
If you lose inverter power due to this setting, it is preserving your batteries from further loss, which is a powerful and safety tool..otherwise they might drop so low that you wouldn't be able to start the generator at all, even after the 'Quiet Time' hours have passed, such as in the morning.
What we've found, with a residential fridge, is that the LBCO cutting off the inverter during the late early morning hours is not a big deal. The fridge is a big cooler, after all. A few hours without power is not going to change much.
Also, the Inverter will power back on, automatically, once the battery bank is back up to a 12.5 voltage. So if the LBCO cuts it off overnight, when the generator starts up in the morning by the AGS, or you start it manually, once the charger has given the battery bank an ample shot of voltage, it will come back on by itself.

In our travels, we've used the following AGS and related settings, when off-grid overnight:

- AGS Enabled, or with Quiet Time if in a park or campground that requires it
- AGS VOLTS at 12.0, which starts the generator once this setting is reached for at least two consecutive minutes
- AGS RUN TIME at 30 minutes, which we like because the generator runs for only a relative short time, especially at night while sleeping, and still give the battery bank enough charge to last several more hours
- SHORE button, Shore Max setting of 50, when off-grid and the AGS is employed to keep the battery bank charged - more power to the batteries.
- LBCO setting of 11.5, limiting the Inverter in case the AGS fails to start the generator

You can also use the AGS to start the generator when the inside TEMP is too high, and your AIR CONDITIONER(s) are ON and you want the generator to keep the coach cool, either while you are away(pets, etc), or even during the overnight when you don't want to have to get up and constantly turn the a/c units on or off.
If you employ this, and you can do both VOLTS and TEMPS at the same time, you set the AGS TEMP setting to the Temperature you wish for the a/c unit(s) to come on, and you set each Thermostat to 1 degree BELOW that AGS TEMP setting. This is because you want the Thermostat to already by in READY mode when the AGS starts the generator and 120v power becomes available to the air conditioners, causing them to cycle on. Otherwise, you could have the generator start, and run for the full time you set on the RUN TIME, and yet the a/c unit did not come on because the Thermostat's temperature never yet reached the point of putting the a/c unit in READY mode.
The TEMP setting will still use the RUN TIME you set for the AGS.....BUT, if the inside temp has still not fallen BELOW the AGS TEMP setting, the AGS will again crank the generator for another RUN TIME of power.

all good, all fun.... you don't know what you don't know, until....

you've experienced it yourself!
Great overview!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #11

THOR #7580
FOUND IT! After much searching, located the AGS adjustment module. Mine was located in the second bin on the driver's side, mounted to the ceiling. Thanks for all the assistance.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #12

THOR #7580
Quote:
without a picture I'm just guessing that you have only the AGS Module, maybe near the generator, with several knobs that you use to tell it 'why' 'when' and 'how long' ... you may not have the capability to do much more, since the other 'settings' are probably built-in and can't be changed. The REMOTE simply let's you do that from within the coach.

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...S-S-manual.pdf

TurnerFam,
I appreciate your info. I'm attaching 2pics FYI. I tried to use the AutoGen last week while camping, but did not work. Voltage dropped to 10.2 and nothing happened. Luckily I could still start the gen. My literature and the internet have not been helpful. Not sure if it's equipment or user error.Click image for larger version

Name:	0307191041_HDR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	16293Click image for larger version

Name:	0321191120.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	16294
Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #13

THOR #4735
a - will it start by using the TEST button on either the remote or the AGS unit?

b - turn your VOLTS all the up to 12

c - turn the Quiet Time all the way off

wait and see what happens after the Volts reach 11.9 for a continuous 2 minutes
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #14

THOR #7580
Quote:
a - will it start by using the TEST button on either the remote or the AGS unit?

A- yes

I think I'm zeroing in on the problem. After re-reading your initial post, I think my problem may be the time setting. When our weather breaks, I'll go thru the steps you listed and also check the time setting. Also, appreciate the manual. Very helpful.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #15

THOR #7580
Quote:

Ok, I've downloaded the manual. Based on what I've read, the clock needs to be reset since I put in new batteries in December. One more question, does the volt setting override the quiet time setting?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #16

THOR #4735
no, these are all separate and different settings:

Volts is the battery level reading when you want the AGS to actually START the gen

Run Time is who LONG you want it to run

Quite Time is when you DON'T want it to be able to start the gen
Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #17

THOR #7580
Quote:
no, these are all separate and different settings:

Volts is the battery level reading when you want the AGS to actually START the gen

Run Time is who LONG you want it to run

Quite Time is when you DON'T want it to be able to start the gen

Got it!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #18

THOR #7580
SUCCESS! Followed the steps you listed, also changed the time setting for future use. Thanks for all your help.