Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Norcold Polar DC Compressor Refrigerator

The subject of “residential” type fridges that could run directly off battery bank has been discussed many times for obvious reasons. Meeting this need will be the Norcold Polar 10DC compressor fridge, to be introduced at RVX in Salt Lake City during March 12-14.

Report says it’s a 10 cubic foot fridge that fits in a standard 8 cubic foot absorption-fridge space, and is already set up for RV application with door latches, etc...

I’ve seen a few smaller refrigerators in van campers that have 12-Volt DC compressors, but don’t recall one this large. Many of the smaller units are reportedly very efficient. This new Polar 10DC may be worth evaluating if considering an upgrade, or having to add inverter just for residential fridge.

Just posting this information due to previous interest for such a design.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/norc...uring-rvx.html

Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

THOR #2121
48 Volt DC Air Conditioner

Those of you who have been following small steps in technology towards battery-based electrification of RVs may find this new announcement for RVX next week of interest.

I’m really looking forward to the details to see if the new air conditioner is actually more efficient than a high-efficiency Power Saver A/C powered by an inverter. I certainly hope it is, and that cost is not outrageous like previous DC air conditioners.

“RV Products is also unveiling the Coleman-Mach branded 48VDC air-conditioner,” ......
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
just got back from SLC was there a week too early. local SLC friends are excited about this years RVX!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Norcold 12V Compressor Refrigerator

Norcold finally shared information on the upcoming 10 cubic foot 12-Volt direct-current compressor refrigerator. Their specs show 5.7 Amps during day, and 3.7 Amps during night mode, which reduces compressor and fan speed to conserve battery life.

A nice feature is grater fridge size/capacity given its external dimensions. I like it and would prefer it over a propane/electric absorption refrigerator.

Let’s just hope they use a quality compressor.

https://norcold.com/product/polar-10...-refrigerator/
Old 12-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Furrion 12-VDC Refrigerator

Furrion now has a 10 cubic-foot RV refrigerator cooled by a 12-Volt compressor that can run directly from house battery; therefore not needing an inverter.

Specs show daily energy consumption at 1.08 kWh, which is 90 Amp-hours at the nominal 12VDC. That’s an “average” of 3.75 Amps, or 45 Watts. Furrion claims to be most energy efficient, and if data is accurate, it’s quite good — exceeding other 12-Volt brands by a bit.

There are now at least three brands making 12-VDC refrigerators in the 10-cubic-foot size range that I’m aware of, but I’m not certain if any share equipment and are simply re-branded. The size is common because it fits in typical RV space of smaller absorption refrigerators (6~8 cubic feet).

https://furrion.com/products/furrion...v-refrigerator
Old 12-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
These sure seem to be a step in the right direction.
Time will tell the tale...
Old 12-21-2019, 02:29 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Furrion mentioned the fridge can maintain temperatures up to 60 hours with a standard battery. No idea what they mean by “standard” battery.

https://rvbusiness.com/furrion-debut...igerator-line/

Everchill also offers a 10.7 cubic foot 12 VDC refrigerator which is likely lower-cost. Some of the Internet feedback on the Chinese company tends to be negative, but specifics are not necessarily about their refrigerator. Time will tell on that offering as well.

Bottom line is that there are pros and cons to these 12VDC compressor refrigerators, but overall I expect they will be accepted over time as a great choice for many buyers. Larger capacity in same space, lower weight, no external venting through RV wall, simpler to operate, etc. will help displace absorption units.

If I can make it to Tampa Super Show, i plan to look at RVs with these new refrigerators to see which brand is being used most.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You need to get there!
We're gonna expect a full report from you...
Old 12-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #9

THOR #2121
For those who don’t think these RV-specific versions of smaller residential refrigerators aren’t quite ready yet, it appears various major manufacturers disagree. Below are specs from Winnebago and Forest River showing 12-Volt compressor refrigerators. Both companies are installing in more than one model.

The Sunseeker size at 10.7 cubic feet suggest it may be the cheaper EVERCHILL, but the Winnebago could be a higher-end unit since it’s on a Mercedes-chassis motorhome.

I haven’t seen any Thor products yet except for Class B vans where this technology was first adopted for smaller refrigerators. I haven’t looked at many Thor’s though.

P.S. — Regarding recent comments in other thread about these not being suitable for boondocking due to energy consumption, if their stated efficiency is close to accurate, they could be powered solely by solar in some cases (depending on solar capacity). Plus occasional driving, generator use, or shore power can also charge batteries enough to last a day provided other demands aren’t too high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D52772A2-1E82-4BEB-A323-B54E14BF310C.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	21895   Click image for larger version

Name:	58F66780-58D3-4328-9E23-79CC147CBB5D.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	21896  

Name:	DC1EFA09-DD2B-4F72-8725-8703E0DC17E0.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	21897  
Old 12-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah it seems like for years compressor technology didn't improve at all (refer's, and A/C's all seem to use the same old inefficient designs).

Seems like lately there has been some effort put in to designing more efficient compressors--especially automotive as manufacturer's are trying to eek out every last mpg they can.

This can only be a good thing. Next someone will take one of these 12V compressors and put it into an RV A/C unit...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
While it's good to see progress: I've been on the wrong end of the "Let's use the paying customer as a Guinea Pig for our Product" discussion.
I like to see lots of product development time, and then let it run through a first product cycle; before thinking about buying it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah it seems like for years compressor technology didn't improve at all (refer's, and A/C's all seem to use the same old inefficient designs).

Seems like lately there has been some effort put in to designing more efficient compressors--especially automotive as manufacturer's are trying to eek out every last mpg they can.

This can only be a good thing. Next someone will take one of these 12V compressors and put it into an RV A/C unit...
Too late

These 12VDC compressors have been around for many decades, but as far as I know were limited in size to small refrigerators and freezers like the ones commonly used in van campers. One brand that has a great reputation is Danfoss, so I’d have no problem with one of those. Some new compressor designs I’d hesitate buying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31616A08-1B05-42F0-B1B7-6470B130CE2B.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	21898  
Old 01-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Short video update on the Furrion option.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Dometic 12V DMC4101

Dometic appears to have joined the 12V compressor-only club in the +/- 10-cubic-foot RV refrigerator segment.

I know these electric-only refrigerators are not for everyone, but there’re a lot of players competing now for good reason.

https://rvbusiness.com/dometic-launc...r-aftermarket/

Write-up states it features their own compressor, and specs show power consumption at max load a little on the high side in my opinion (156 Watts). It does have variable speed compressor, so maybe average power consumption is much lower — I don’t know. We’ll have to wait for reviews, but I’d want a reliable answer before considering. Perhaps average daily energy requirements are included in their website and I just didn’t see it.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...c4101-_-242458