Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: Colorado
THOR #5970
Onan 4000 watt gen repair

Good news for all.
I have had a problem Onan gen set for way too long. 4 times at Cummins/Onan facilities, Farmington and Austin. These centers are great if you have a deisel engine problem but I personally think generators are not their thing. Also, they do not inventory Onan parts.
Recently I made a 350 mile road trip to Birdie's Power Equipment in Springville, UT. They inventory all Onan repair parts. They diagnosed my Onan and had it repaired in a few hours. They found a washer on the magnetic pick up and the governor was 1/4 turn out of adjustment not allowing the gen to carry a load . I can only imagine that a Cummins/Onan service center was the culprit.

Note: Plenty of free BLM camping in Utah

Sandy Sandoval
Pagosa Springs, CO

Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Onan 4000 Shutting Off

May want to try this simple procedure first.
The oil dipstick is a defect. The Full line is incorrect. The new Full line should be 1/4” above Add. Because of the incorrect Full Line cause the oil to overheat and shuts down. Remove 16 Oz oil but save it as you may have to put some back. This will solve the shutting down.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
May want to try this simple procedure first.
The oil dipstick is a defect. The Full line is incorrect. The new Full line should be 1/4” above Add. Because of the incorrect Full Line cause the oil to overheat and shuts down. Remove 16 Oz oil but save it as you may have to put some back. This will solve the shutting down.
This post makes absolutely no sense. Why would you remove oil if the fill line is supposed to be higher? Why would too much oil cause the oil to overheat?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
This post makes absolutely no sense. Why would you remove oil if the fill line is supposed to be higher? Why would too much oil cause the oil to overheat?
Original Full Line is too high. The dipstick is too short. I’ve been having problems with my generator after CW of Byron changed oil and filter. It shut off when I lost shoreline Power on 5/13/18. I googled generator shut off and looked at two YouTube (There were more to look at). The video said that he’s known people spending $3000 plus and even buying another generator. He said that he was having problems with his class A. He did this procedure and he hasn’t had the generator shutting off any longer . I haven’t done the procedure on my Class C but it’s worth a try as I’ve read that Cummins/Onan has problems. My old Class A had an a Onan 5000 and I never had a problem with it but on my new 2018 C I have.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
I have always wondered about this actually- it is the stupidest little dipstick i have ever seen! With how short it is there is really no need for it- I fill mine up until there is a little bit in the bottom of the reservoir you can see. However, I have not had problems w/ mine overheating to date; if it does I will remove a little bit!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Colorado
THOR #5970
The oil level was good and never changed or adjusted it after I changed it. My gen could run for hours with the TV load but no larger load.