Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
The first thing I did when I got my ACE was replace the two 12v "Marine" batteries (which are not really deep cycle batteries), with two 6v golf cart batteries. I'm very happy with the increased amp-hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thor RV Forum mobile app

Old 11-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Do most of these rigs use the same type and size of batteries?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
If it were me, I would always opt to keep it plugged in. The converter will keep them fully charged and float the batteries when they reach the fully charged state. Much better for any battery to keep it as close to fully charged as possible, as long as you are using a 'smart' charger and do not overcharge.
Yes, Laco, that is what I used to do with the factory installed batteries. My RV service center advised that with these LifeTime brand AGM batteries (6 volt too) it would not be necessary or advisable anymore. I am giving it a try and so far he has been right.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #24

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I replaced the two 12V batteries that Thor provided with our Challenger. They had sat on the dealer lot for about a year before we bought it.

We now have four 6V Crown 235 golf cart batteries, and I’m very satisfied with their performance. I also added a 200 watt Renogy Solar Suitcase. Our first boondocking trip a couple weeks ago went great.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
How long are you running yours before recharging (Genny, shore or alternator)?

Have two thinking of adding two more myself
I have run up to three days using lights and misc loads, Water heater, vent fans etc, but no heat or AC. No problem at all.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #26

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree: do what you can to reduce your power usage, and see how that works out for you first.
But I'm still not going to bed without my evening cup of tea (microwaved!)
Microwaved, no less! Just heat it on the stove! :P LOL
Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #27

THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Microwaved, no less! Just heat it on the stove! :P LOL
Yep, and make morning coffee with a percolator.
Takes a little longer, but tastes even better.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 22-B
State: Florida
THOR #8886
We recently bought a Type-C Thor 22B with a single house battery. Took it dry camping once and the battery drained in an hour with nothing on. Took it in for a number or warranty fixes and the seller is replacing a bad battery... that said I intend to add a second. Any good instructional resources for doing the parallel wiring? Couldn't find a thread here. (Sorry for the slight change of direction on this interesting thread!)
Paul G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #29
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
We recently bought a Type-C Thor 22B with a single house battery. Took it dry camping once and the battery drained in an hour with nothing on. Took it in for a number or warranty fixes and the seller is replacing a bad battery... that said I intend to add a second. Any good instructional resources for doing the serial wiring? Couldn't find a thread here. (Sorry for the slight change of direction on this interesting thread!)
If they are two 12v batteries - you would be doing PARALLEL wiring - and not SERIAL... You want to add the capacities of the two batteries - and not the voltages.

Ideally you want two identical batteries (so if they are replacing one - good time to buy two) - and they would be wired '+ to +' and '- to -'...
Best practice would be to have the positive line from coach attached to one battery - and the negative line attached to the other... insures the batteries get equal use (electricity will always follow the path of least resistance - so if both + and - are connected to the same battery - that battery will support more of the load than its twin...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #30

THOR #6934
Just hook a cable, pos to pos, and neg to neg.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #31

THOR #8257
Battery Charging

Two thoughts. We have a new Freedom Elite 30' with one house battery. Dry camping overnight with just the coach radio playing all night, water pump and a few lights off and on discharges the battery to nothing. I have also found that the coach radio mounted in the dash of the cab is only tied to the house battery. The coach battery charges from shore power or from the generator but not from the truck alternator. This doesn't seem right to me, but is that the way it is set up or do I have a problem? If so any ideas. Lastly I want to install a second house battery wired in parallel but would also like to install a selector switch (like you would have in a marine application). Has anyone done this or want to talk me out of this?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVSFLA View Post
Two thoughts. We have a new Freedom Elite 30' with one house battery. Dry camping overnight with just the coach radio playing all night, water pump and a few lights off and on discharges the battery to nothing. I have also found that the coach radio mounted in the dash of the cab is only tied to the house battery. The coach battery charges from shore power or from the generator but not from the truck alternator. This doesn't seem right to me, but is that the way it is set up or do I have a problem? If so any ideas. Lastly I want to install a second house battery wired in parallel but would also like to install a selector switch (like you would have in a marine application). Has anyone done this or want to talk me out of this?
I had the same thing happen to me, with a single battery.

Your coach’s electronic wizardry requires a minimum voltage to function. Without your house battery having any voltage, the electronics aren’t going to properly operate and allow charging from your powertrain. An easy way to tell is when you push your coach’s main switch and you don’t hear any clicking from the electronic systems. I jumpstarted my generator, to get things functioning again. As soon as I hooked up the cables, I could hear the coach’s electronics click. When I upgraded my stereo, I had the shop replace the original battery with 2 new, deep-cycle, Interstate batteries. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, they used the positive of one battery and the negative of the other battery, as it should be. Also, your coach’s main switch must be turned on for the powertrain to charge the house batteries, while driving down the road.

Lastly, Sterling Power USA has a bunch of marine-grade, 12V accessories for switching, charging, etc.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #33

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
We recently bought a Type-C Thor 22B with a single house battery. Took it dry camping once and the battery drained in an hour with nothing on. Took it in for a number or warranty fixes and the seller is replacing a bad battery... that said I intend to add a second. Any good instructional resources for doing the parallel wiring? Couldn't find a thread here. (Sorry for the slight change of direction on this interesting thread!)

You tube . My Quantum GR22 came with dual batteries, they hold up good. Installed 2 100watt solar panels also.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #34

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Then again... there is nothing much economical about a RV to begin with.... I just spent the $$$ having my two wet cell batteries, pieces of worthless crap that Thor installed, replaced with AGM 6 volt batteries instead. I now don't have to keep it plugged in to the shore power at home and just hit the "store" button.

I did same. But I put 2 12V AGM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder what the O.P. decided to do?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #36

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wonder what the O.P. decided to do?
It appears that was his last post! Must have gotten tired of us wanting to spend his money! LOL