Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Our Seiki TV's

Just received this message from the Myrtle Beach Campground that I spend the entire month of October in:

Do you watch TV at
Lakewood Camping Resort?

This IMPORTANT message is for you!
Our local TV cable provider, SPECTRUM, is converting to ALL digital as of March 13, 2018. What does this mean to you as a Lakewood guest?
  • Your TV must have a built-in digital tuner
  • Guests must go to their TV menu options and scan to program new channels.
  • There is NO MORE analog.
We apologize for this inconvenience, but we are sure you will enjoy the new digital viewing.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Seiki TVs make good boat anchors. For as little as $170, you can buy a nice Samsung 720P Smart TV that has both the ATSC and QAM tuners.

One friend with a 2017 Thor Vegas has the Seiki TV with both tuners.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Isn't it pronounced "Suckee"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Seiki's have their (limited) uses

I was furious that my 2015 ACE had 3 Seiki TV's without QAM tuners (the two bunk bed TV/DVD GPX's had QAM tuners, go figure) and to add insult to injury back then I was charged for the optional Seiki TV's!!! I replaced all the Seiki's with Smart Samsung TVs at Black Friday sales. The Seiki's have good pictures, so I have used them with my home cable and have no issues. Kept 2, gave one away to a friend and all are working fine.
So, not junk, just not appropriate for use in an RV without that QAM tuner. Please don't use as an anchor--fish like digital too . When you rip them out, please dispose of them responsibly.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Our ‘17 Challenger 37LX came with 3 Seiki’s. They’re obviously newer models, because they are digital ready. So that’s nice.

On the flip side of that coin, the HDMI cables that are in the cabinet above the microwave were installed inconsistently. I guess. I mean, I can’t get the Blu Ray DVD player to feed either inside TV, it only plays on the outside one. When we press the switch on the MonoPrice thingy (I’ve seen some call it BOMB, box of many buttons, lol), it automatically switches to the outside TV. We switched the HDMI cables around, and the BOMB still switched itself to the output to the outside TV!

So we tried bypassing the BOMB, connected the HDMI cable directly to the Sony Blu Ray... nothing.

I’m so confused. Is there a box somewhere between the cabinet and the TV’s, where the HDMI cables go and connect up with each other? I mean, I assumed it was one cable but maybe not?
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
All of our Sucki TVs are digital ready.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:07 AM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I don't know about the Challenger. But on the Vegas, each TV has it's own HDMI cable. So there is no central feed for the HDMI inputs.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

THOR #7863
Thanks G. That makes sense. We just can’t figure out why the Blu Ray won’t feed to the indoor TVs when bypassing the switcher. Or through the switcher, either. Ugh.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks G. That makes sense. We just can’t figure out why the Blu Ray won’t feed to the indoor TVs when bypassing the switcher. Or through the switcher, either. Ugh.
Have you looked behind the TV's (or even taken them off)? It is possible that the HDMI cables are not even plugged into the back of the TV (or plugged into the wrong spot). Another possibility is that the cables are pinched somewhere between the switch box and the TV's.

You could pick up something like this HDMI cable tester (Amazon) and check out your cables--you may even figure out which cable goes where LOL.

This guy (Amazon) is another option for a tester (although it looks like you'll need an extra cable as this one goes between your device and the cable).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you looked behind the TV's (or even taken them off)? It is possible that the HDMI cables are not even plugged into the back of the TV (or plugged into the wrong spot). Another possibility is that the cables are pinched somewhere between the switch box and the TV's.

You could pick up something like this HDMI cable tester (Amazon) and check out your cables--you may even figure out which cable goes where LOL.

This guy (Amazon) is another option for a tester (although it looks like you'll need an extra cable as this one goes between your device and the cable).
Yes, we checked the TV’s to verify which HDMI port each was plugged in to. Even tried switching those without results.

An HDMI cable tester might be helpful, thanks for the tip!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Mike, try switching the inputs on the TV's. Our living room TV uses HDMI 1 in the TV settings, Bedroom TV is HDMI 2, outside TV is HDMI 3.... probably wired that way to prevent confusion for the monkeys doing the wiring at the factory..Also make sure that your HDMI switch box is set on the correct input for your blueray. Ours is HDMI 1.. Hope this helps.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #12

THOR #7863
Thanks Pirate. We tried many combinations, none of them worked. The switcher seems to recognize that two of the outputs go “nowhere,” because whichever output was connected to the outside TV was the one it automatically switched to when the Blu Ray was on. That’s what makes me think that, either the inside TV HDMI cables are not connected to the switcher, or they are unable to receive the signal. Neither of which makes any sense, of course. The cables in the cabinet are green tipped, as are the ones connected to the indoor TVs. My son, who is much more tech savvy then I am, believes the logical answer is that the cables from both ends feed into some sort of controller box, somewhere else in the coach. But we could not find any such thing, inside or in the basement.