Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
skg

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #17020
Palazzo (or any freightliner) - Chassis Suspension Height Lever

What is the intended behavior of the airbag height adjustment lever on the Freightliner XC chassis?

It says "lower" on the left, and "auto" on the right.

When I flip it to lower I hear air being released - but I have let it go for around 15 minutes and it hasn't stopped releasing air. I eventually switched it back to auto.

I also didn't see a significant ride height change, but I'm not sure how much is expected.

How is this supposed to work? I wasn't able to find documentation of the expected behavior in any of the chassis manuals I have.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We only use the lower position to drop the coach prior to leveling. It drops 4 or more inches,I believe, as I have never actually measured. It probably takes less than 60 seconds. If you don't move the lever to auto and let your bags fill before driving, you will notice right away.
Mike
Old 10-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #3
skg

State: Washington
THOR #17020
I was also planning to use it prior to leveling. Sounds like there may be something wrong with the system on my coach.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
What is the intended behavior of the airbag height adjustment lever on the Freightliner XC chassis?

It says "lower" on the left, and "auto" on the right.

When I flip it to lower I hear air being released - but I have let it go for around 15 minutes and it hasn't stopped releasing air. I eventually switched it back to auto.

I also didn't see a significant ride height change, but I'm not sure how much is expected.

How is this supposed to work? I wasn't able to find documentation of the expected behavior in any of the chassis manuals I have.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
The lever was originally intended for use on tractor/trailers so the driver could lower the rear of the semi for backing up under a trailer that was to low, then switched back to auto to lift the trailer landing gear off the ground just makes them easier to crank, I have it on my rv as well and unless there is a reason you want the coach lower to the ground but just remember to inflate the airbags back up before driving off as it will destroy the bags if you drive with them deflated and also is a buzzer to warn you about suspension dump valve in the lower position.