Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
I have on the last two units have placed enterbond tape over all seams as soon as I brought it home cheap insurance never moved in over 40K worth of travel

I have been thinking about the same thing. My mind has been going a 100MPH all week thinking about all the preventative stuff I could / should do as soon as I get it home.

I have even thought about whether it makes sense to spray the Rustoleum NeverWet treatment over the seams.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...4232/204216476

Old 08-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I have on the last two units have placed enterbond tape over all seams as soon as I brought it home cheap insurance never moved in over 40K worth of travel
Thanks for the tip!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #23

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Judge: Welcome to the forum.

The good thing about what you're learning is that you know what to look for and can solve (or have the dealer solve) many of these issues before they become a long term problem (like that video).

Hopefully you won't find many; good luck.
My dealer will be 5 hours away so that will be a challenge and why I am trying to take a crash course in the world of Thor coaches. I have multiple inspection check-lists printed with the important lines highlighted in yellow for my wife and I to use during the PDI.

I also have a page and a half of issues people have found with the 29H and Class C Thors either during their inspection or when they got it home based on what I could find on this forum and YouTube.

I should be as prepared tomorrow as I can be at this point.....

We plan to stay at a campground about an hour from the Dealer on Saturday night after we go through the PDI. If we have any major issues, we'll be driving it back to dealer on Sunday and leaving it for them to fix.

If we find any issues during the PDI that I can't easily fix, then I'll be telling the sales guy to keep it and call me when they are all fully addressed.

It's a left-over 2018 29H so it should have been sitting out on the lot for about a year or more. If there has been any water / leak issues with the roof, I would think I will find evidence of water damage or leaks during the PDI.

I have a Spyder RT and thanks to Bob Denman he confirmed it will fit in the garage. I wasn't looking to grab a Toy Hauler for a couple more years but since the 2018 is the last year for the 29H and the garage in the 29J is too small, I decided to pull the trigger on this new leftover.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
After we took delivery of our "H" last September: we ended up compiling a 23 item punch-list...
And after having used the rig this Season: we could have added 3 or 4 more items to it...
But we're getting it all under control, and we hope that your rig makes you as happy as ours has!
(in spite of the issues: it's been a BLAST!)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

It's a left-over 2018 29H so it should have been sitting out on the lot for about a year or more. If there has been any water / leak issues with the roof, I would think I will find evidence of water damage or leaks during the PDI.

As an FYI, Our unit sat on the dealers lot for 6 months and we saw no sign of a leak. Drove it home in the rain and saw no signs of a leak. Wasn’t until it sat in storage that we found the leak. I think it had to do with the fact that the MH was sitting with the front end just a bit lower than the back. My guess is the water pooled at the seam between the cap and the body and found an opening. Time will tell. But don’t let other people’s problems cloud your enjoyment. Things happen with houses (even new ones) and we deal with them and move on. Our dealer was responsive, Thor was responsive. And the local dealer has been responsive. We will survive this issue and enjoy our MH

Best of luck with your purchase. Don’t fret. Enjoy.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If it sat on the lot for any appreciable amount of time I think I'd try to have the dealer throw in some new batteries just in case.

Other than that you seem to be well prepared...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #27

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
As an FYI, Our unit sat on the dealers lot for 6 months and we saw no sign of a leak. Drove it home in the rain and saw no signs of a leak. Wasn’t until it sat in storage that we found the leak. I think it had to do with the fact that the MH was sitting with the front end just a bit lower than the back. My guess is the water pooled at the seam between the cap and the body and found an opening. Time will tell. But don’t let other people’s problems cloud your enjoyment. Things happen with houses (even new ones) and we deal with them and move on. Our dealer was responsive, Thor was responsive. And the local dealer has been responsive. We will survive this issue and enjoy our MH

Best of luck with your purchase. Don’t fret. Enjoy.
Thanks for the info and the tips!

I plan to take it for a test ride before handing over the check. The unit is out near Philadelphia and they have been hammered by heavy rains the past week or two. They are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow as well. There should still be water somewhere visible and if not, hopefully a test drive will cause it to show up somewhere visible.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If it sat on the lot for any appreciable amount of time I think I'd try to have the dealer throw in some new batteries just in case.

Other than that you seem to be well prepared...

On my list is to have the check the Specific Gravity of the House and Engine batteries. If I don't like what I see, I will be having them throw in some new batteries.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #29

THOR #1249
Quote:
I 2nd that. Very first thing I do and have done on all the RV's I have owned is to seal the front and rear cap with Eternabond tape and never had a leak there..............but other places............
I keep a partial roll on hand at all times.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I 2nd that. Very first thing I do and have done on all the RV's I have owned is to seal the front and rear cap with Eternabond tape and never had a leak there..............but other places............
I keep a partial roll on hand at all times.

What size do you recommend? 2" or 4" or 6" wide tape?
Old 08-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #31

THOR #1249
I used the 4", but you should make sure 4" will cover the line of screws on cap and roof. Also, make sure the sealant is clean before applying.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #32

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
On my list is to have the check the Specific Gravity of the House and Engine batteries. If I don't like what I see, I will be having them throw in some new batteries.
Someone at the dealership had left the master switch on and the batteries were dead. Rather than charge them up the dealer simply replaced them with brand new batteries. We didn't have to ask they simply did it.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #33

THOR #2020
Update from local dealer / repair shop: They have diagnosed the issue. The leak is between the cap and the body. Said it looks like someone (either factory or selling dealer) had tried to fix a hole in the seal and done a bad job. They are turning it in to Thor for approval for the repairs. They are supposed to call me back when repairs have been approved.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Will they be able to have you on the road...this evening or by Monday? Maybe they can make a temp repair with eternabond until then? I wish vehicles fell into the same standards as houses when selling them whereby everything/issues/repairs they know of has to be exposed at time of sale.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #35

THOR #2020
Probably not going to happen this weekend. They have to wait for Thor's approval before they can do anything. We have modified our plans (as of about 15 minutes ago.) Going to delay the 3 weeks excursion by 1 week. They are also going to check the electronics in the cab to insure that they were not damaged by the water. (Again, assuming Thor approves.)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Update from local dealer / repair shop: They have diagnosed the issue. The leak is between the cap and the body. Said it looks like someone (either factory or selling dealer) had tried to fix a hole in the seal and done a bad job. They are turning it in to Thor for approval for the repairs. They are supposed to call me back when repairs have been approved.
I'm glad to hear that the source of the problem has been found, and the repair process has started.
Let us know how it all turns out: the best of luck to you!
Old 08-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #37

THOR #2020
UPDATE: We drove over to the repairing dealer late yesterday afternoon. Spoke to the service writer. He was not sure of status so called their body shop (RV body shop). The manager of the body shop was still there so we drove over and talked to him. He showed us where the issue is actually located. We thought it was on the roof between the front cap and the body. It was actually between the cap and the roof of the cab. There is a strip of material between the two and than sealed with some material. They sprayed water on this area and had water running out about the rearview camera, the driver side corner post and the headliner behind the driver seat. He said they used a light spray but had so much water running out that it actually ran down the floor and out the side door. They found no sign of a leak on the roof itself. They said the headliner has some staining so they are going to replace that. He told us that they had not yet received approval from Thor but said he would verify when their warranty person was back in the office. He called me first thing this morning (someone who actually follows up!!) and said they had not heard from Thor. I called Thor and talked to the warranty department. He found the information but could not approve the repairs at his level. He put me on hold and came back in about 30 seconds and said it had now been approved. Called the repairing dealer back and he said they would get the headliner on order. I'm holding off on recommending the repairing dealer until the unit is completed but so far they have been very responsive - especially since we didn't buy the unit from them.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least it is sounding hopeful...
Good luck; please keep us in the loop!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #39

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #11230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I suspect the Gritz hit it on the nose with that much water. Check the dicor sealant at this seam; mine cracked and I had the same effect after a rainstorm - not as much as you, but the crack allows the standing water on the roof to flow in.
Same issue here on our first trip, hooked up our Axis relaxing while a big rain storm came in at night, woke up with water coming down exactly the same spot as yours. Being newbies were lucky enough to get a mobile repairman to come out. And surprise!! A crack along the seam, two tubes of RV chalk and all is good. Good luck with Thor.👍
Old 08-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #40

THOR #2020
UPDATE: Parts are two days out. Hope to have it for Labor Day weekend.