Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
RV 12V system works on generator & AC but not 12V RV Batteries

My RV's 12V system works on generator & AC but not 12V RV Batteries.

The Intellitec Battery Relay (Solenoid) has to large and two small posts.
The two large posts: one has a 12V + wire that goes to the RV batteries and the other 12V + wire goes to the Power Converter. It also has two smaller leads that are wired to the RC "use/store" switch.

When the RV is running on Generator or Shore docked on A/C, the Solenoid lead that goes to the battery reads 12.6V....as does the other lead that goes to the Converter.

When the RV is running only 12V battery, the lead that goes from the solenoid to the Power Converter has NO voltage. The lead to the Battery reads 12.6V.

I'm cautiously believing that the Intellitec Battery Relay is bad.

Is this a correct analysis.

PS: Both RV batteries test at 12.6V (in parallel). Cooper Bussmann 25450 Circuit Breaker not tripped and I get 12.6 from both posts.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Not sure but almost sounds like you have a battery off switch that might be turned off. On mine right at floor level when you first walk in is a few rocker switches and one is called battery stored or on. On the 2017 23tb and 23tr they do have a Battery Disconnect Switch. What model do you have?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 AM   #3

THOR #5981
Nope the Battery off switch I referenced above as the "store/use" switch. But thanks for the time. That switch is working properly and is not the problem.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #4

THOR #5981
I have a Gemini 23TR. Store/Use (battery disconnect) switch is right next to the stairs. Turning it on/off causes the Intellitec solenoid to operate as I noted in my original post.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #5

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I'm not sure what your exact problem is? Do you not have any power to your coach when you are just on battery? The battery relay is built to not open when on just battery power. It will only open when you are on generator or shore power or when the engine is running. So when on just battery power, the voltage on the terminal leading to the power converter should read 0v. That is normal. If the coach battery reads 12.6v and you have no 12v power in the coach, it may be that you have a bad store/use switch or a bad circuit breaker. I would check those two first. The battery relay should not make that happen. I have an Axis and my pieces are different, but they should work similarily.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:32 AM   #6

THOR #5981
I'm not sure what your exact problem is? Do you not have any power to your coach when you are just on battery? NO.

The battery relay is built to not open when on just battery power. It will only open when you are on generator or shore power or when the engine is running. If that is the case, I don't know how the Power Converter gets 12V power to supply the RV 12V circuits.

So when on just battery power, the voltage on the terminal leading to the power converter should read 0v. That is normal. If the coach battery reads 12.6v and you have no 12v power in the coach, it may be that you have a bad store/use switch or a bad circuit breaker. I would check those two first. The battery relay should not make that happen. I have an Axis and my pieces are different, but they should work similarily. Circuit Breaker is good. Batteries read 12.6V. Store/Use switch does cause Solenoid to "click" so I'm assuming that the Store/Use switch is good.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
When the RV is running on Generator or Shore docked on A/C, the Solenoid lead that goes to the battery reads 12.6V....as does the other lead that goes to the Converter.

When the RV is running only 12V battery, the lead that goes from the solenoid to the Power Converter has NO voltage. The lead to the Battery reads 12.6V.
I found this pic of a variation of the Intellitec disconnect - I assume you only have the coach side of the disconnect (most newer RV's no longer have the chassis disconnect from what I have seen.)
file-9.jpg Photo by EMD360 | Photobucket
(I started down the same path as Oneilkeys that your readings were normal until I found the diagram...)

So not getting power out of the solenoid when on battery only would seem to be either the 'use/store' switch stuck in 'store' (not energizing... but you are hearing the click...) - or the Solenoid/disconnect itself being bad.
(When plugged in - the solenoid is bypassed by power TO the converter which will output the 12v you are reading...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #8

THOR #1765
The click is a good indicator that the store/use switch is good. Is it possible that you have a loose wire at the back of the Use/store switch? Or from the Use/store switch to the 12v panel? I would pull the Use/store switch and see if you have power in and out of the switch and then at the 12v fuse panel. The power should run from the battery to the circuit breaker to the use/store switch to the panel. You seem to have a break in that line somewhere.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #9
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
... The battery relay is built to not open when on just battery power. It will only open when you are on generator or shore power or when the engine is running. So when on just battery power, the voltage on the terminal leading to the power converter should read 0v.
Not talking about the BIRD/Trombetta here - but rather the Battery Disconnect... A bird of a different feather

Quote:
... The power should run from the battery to the circuit breaker to the use/store switch to the panel. You seem to have a break in that line somewhere...
Power is going to run from the battery to the circuit breaker to the Intellitec Solenoid - which has wiring to/from the the use/store switch - then to the panel... The use/store switch never sees the LOAD from the RV - it just provides momentary voltage to activate the Solenoid to connect/disconnect...

Here's a description of how it works...
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electri...disconnect.pdf

The battery side of the Solenoid is the input... and the converter (labeled converter/coach in the first pic I posted) is the output... The break is AT the solenoid...

Should be able to read voltage across the two terminals going to the use/store switch from the Solenoid while depressing the switch... Should read voltage when energizing either the use or store side of switch - and 0 when switch is not depressed. Polarity will be reversed for use vs store. If that checks out - then sounds like the Solenoid is the culprit...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 AM   #10

THOR #5981
Fixed!!!

Thank you gmc. I did order a replacement Intellitec Solenoid from ebay (
INTELLITEC BATTERY DISCONNECT RELAY WITHOUT ATC FUSES 01-00055-002

I also installed an upgraded circuit breaker that sets next to the RV batteries (one with a red button on it), so I could cut off RV 12 power to replace the Solenoid with out disconnecting the RV batteries.

Parts were $59 and $20 respectively.

Replacing the solenoid FIXED the problem. I now have 12V RV power off the RV batteries.

Based on the manual you provided me as reference, I opened up the old solenoid and I don't see how it ever worked. If you look at the picture, the plunger cannot go down all the way such that the contact washer is touching the contact studs...BECAUSE part of the solenoid coils (which can be seen at the bottom of the shaft [in the attached picture] are blocking the plunger from being able to be fully depressed. This overall part did work for about 5 months...though I don't know how. This looks like a manufacturing defect to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3681.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	3645  
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Where is the disconnect relay located in your coach? Is it next to the Use/store switch which activates it? Glad you fixed your problem. Learn something new in this forum every day.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #12

THOR #5981
Battery Relay switch is located very close to the power converter which is just below the furnace....about 10 feet back from the store/use switch.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Thanks. I am replacing my converter next week, so I will look for it when I pull the old converter out.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
There was a question/statement earlier, about how the converter would supply power to the 12 volt house system. I don't believe it does, 12 volts is always supplied by the batteries, but when plugged in, the batteries are kept charged by the converter, and or inverter if there is one installed.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
There was a question/statement earlier, about how the converter would supply power to the 12 volt house system. I don't believe it does, 12 volts is always supplied by the batteries, but when plugged in, the batteries are kept charged by the converter, and or inverter if there is one installed.
While we all know results may differ across RVs... even of the same model/year... but in my case:

If my use/store switch is in STORE (batteries disconnected) - and plugged into shore power - my rig has all 12v devices powered by the converter... so there is connectivity for the converter to power the RV (and makes sense for all to work on 110/220 if batteries aren't present.)

Really all (batteries/converter/12v load) are all wired together (with disconnect for battery and fuses to protect load) - so either power source will work.

With everything in place and connected - the actual supply will come from the path of least resistance....
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If my use store switch is in store, no power inside and converter will not charge house batteries. Since mine is always plugged in, even when stored, I just leave it in use always. My former coach, with the house batteries switched to disconnect, the inverter on that one would continue to charge, but everything inside was dead. Every manufacturer has their own idea about how things should work, but for we consumers, it would sure be nice if there were standards, that all manufactures followed.