Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Schematics and Construction Drawings

Having been an Air Force Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander twice, a Logistics Group Commander once, and an Air Staff Division Chief for Munitions and Weapons Maintenance I am keenly aware of the importance of having technical data available when troubleshooting problems or making repairs. You can't "do it by the book" if you don't have the book or know what is in it. In purchasing a 2015 Vegas 24.1 I wanted to ensure I had all the available information possible to understand the complexity of the systems the RV contained.

Several owners of Thor Motor Coaches have often asked other owners how to obtain electrical schematics, plumbing and waste layouts, and other construction drawings. When I was researching material to include in the Vegas/Axis Owners' Manual I was compiling from information on the Thor Forum, I also wanted a library of the relevant schematics and construction drawings for my specific year, model, floorplan, and VIN.

On the Thor Motor Coach website there is an Owners section and a specific request button to contact Thor Customer Service. The customer care request is the way to ask Thor for schematics and drawings. There is a form that opens for you to fill out relevant contact information. You need to provide your email address, Year, Make, Model, and VIN. In the request area you can ask Thor for the schematics/drawings you are seeking. Thor will reply by email within a few days and have the requested information attached as PDF files. Here is a link to the Thor Customer Care request form: https://thormotorcoach.com/customer-care/

In the Vegas/Axis Owners' Manual I compiled, Appendix 3 contains a list of the twenty-some files I requested from Thor. The attached file has a complete list of the schematics and construction drawings Thor sent me for my 2015 Vegas 24.1. The file number on the list will vary by make and model; however, the name should apply to multiple Thor makes and models.

I also went on-line to obtain manufacturer's information for other systems on my Vegas that were not included in the bag of data provided by Thor. That information included:
- Canopy Owners' Manual
- Axxera Radio Manual
- Night Shade Operation and Programming
- TPO Roof Maintenance information
- Hehr Window Service Manual
- Schwintek Bunk Lift Operating Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 Vegas 24.1 Schematics and Construction Drawings.pdf (120.3 KB, 2836 views)

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Sir, does the "TEW0410 – End Wall" document show where the framing members are situated within the rear cap?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #3

THOR #2601
Yes they do. When you make the request just ask for the end wall drawing. For your year, model, VIN the drawing number is probably different than TEW0410 for mine. Yours will be a TEW drawing but will surely have a different number.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This thread should also be a sticky!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have found them to be very stingy with the drawings. I asked a few times early on if they would just send me the set of everything pertaining to my vin. They would not.
I have on several occasions asked for something specific that I was working on, and would get just that one sheet or collection of sheets.
So I figure if you are specific in which sheets you want you'll have better luck.
I just wish they would send the whole shebang.

at one point I even suggested to someone at Thor that they should link everything up to the owner's info page
https://thormotorcoach.com/owner-resources/
as it is there's not much there that's usefull. I find the old year specific brochure interesting, but that's about it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I have found them to be very stingy with the drawings. I asked a few times early on if they would just send me the set of everything pertaining to my vin. They would not.
I have on several occasions asked for something specific that I was working on, and would get just that one sheet or collection of sheets.
So I figure if you are specific in which sheets you want you'll have better luck.
I just wish they would send the whole shebang.

at one point I even suggested to someone at Thor that they should link everything up to the owner's info page
https://thormotorcoach.com/owner-resources/
as it is there's not much there that's usefull. I find the old year specific brochure interesting, but that's about it.
I had the same problem. I asked for some particular drawing which they sent. When I realized there were other drawings available, customer service got real snooty and said they sent all they had.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thor is not going to make available to anyone with an internet connection their technical drawings and specs for their product. None of the auto manufacturers provide that info unless you are willing to pay for their technical manuals.

Also, their drawings are clearly marked with a copyright notice and marked confidential and proprietary yet folks on this forum have elected to ignore the notice and post the drawings online without permission.

It does not surprise me that Thor might start questioning someone on why they want those drawings.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #8

THOR #3261
I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for a tech manual. I bought one for every other vehicle I have.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When we had our 2008 Tuscany Thor (Damon at the time) was reluctant to send us anything! Soon after we purchased our Windsport I called and asked for drawings and build sheets, I received numerous PDFs which covered every aspect of our coach build, wiring, plumbing, you name it, I got it. I believe Thor is trying to improve their customer service but I also believe it will be a long drawn out process. Hard to change what you have done for many years. With the internet giving everyone access to so much information and the increasing demand for better customer service I feel companies have no choice but to improve.

I don't know if management at Thor looks at this forum but they should! This forum would be a perfect place for Thor to see what they are doing wrong, and what they are doing right!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD
I don't know if management at Thor looks at this forum but they should! This forum would be a perfect place for Thor to see what they are doing wrong, and what they are doing right!
You are assuming that they want to improve...!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
And if you have an older unit like I have (which I might have to keep for ever, because I do not want slide outs, and cannot find a motorhome of the size that I have that comes without slide outs) they'll tell you that they do not have a single drawing left for it! Hard to believe having worked in industry all my life. But what do I know?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
And if you have an older unit like I have (which I might have to keep for ever, because I do not want slide outs, and cannot find a motorhome of the size that I have that comes without slide outs) they'll tell you that they do not have a single drawing left for it! Hard to believe having worked in industry all my life. But what do I know?
Some of that problem may be that the rig mas manufactured by another company acquired by Thor during some type of acquisition. Often in those case the firm acquired did not maintain or turn over the technical specs during the acquisition process. It happens often in business especially during the time of a hostile take over when employees intentionally destroy technical info.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Some of that problem may be that the rig mas manufactured by another company acquired by Thor during some type of acquisition. Often in those case the firm acquired did not maintain or turn over the technical specs during the acquisition process. It happens often in business especially during the time of a hostile take over when employees intentionally destroy technical info.
That is a very poor excuse for not having proper documentation. I was quite a few times part of an acquisition team of a very large company. Prior to a takeover being known to the employees, we went in and did document recovery to make sure nothing of importance was destroyed by disgruntled employees! Companies who do not do this show clearly signs of a lack of due diligence that can be found all over the company in all of it's business aspects (that could be the reason for the poor quality control at Thor?)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #14

THOR #3261
With the long lead times for service the owner becomes the the level one tech on these rigs.

If getting the info people need to maintain a 6 figure+ vehicle requires an end run around Thor, so be it.

What makes some folks think they are so special because they happened to contact a cooperative rep, when others tried but weren't so fortunate is beyond me.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #15

THOR #2601
Chip -- here is the link to the Owners' Manual I compiled. https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

THOR #5196
Jamie, I'm not assuming anything, just wishful hoping! LOL I try to be positive and believe that most people are good, doing so has bit me in the ass more then once, but I still believe!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I have contacted Thor Customer care twice in the past 2 weeks (https://thormotorcoach.com/customer-care/), and have not received any response whatsoever. I, too, wanted to get all of the schematics and drawings for my new Hurricane 35M.

More important, I'm still trying to locate the input park cable location (i.e., where you hook up the park cable to the motorhome). During my walk-through, the dealer's folks couldn't locate it; nor can I. The dealer was supposed to contact Thor, and told me that they haven't heard back from them. I have checked every exterior storage bay (twice) - to no avail. I located the hookup and power amplifier on the interior of the coach (above the microwave), but just can't seem to locate it on the exterior. That's why I was hoping to get my hands on the schematics from Thor. Very disappointed with customer service on such a basic question!

I do have DirecTV in the coach, but I'm the kind of guy who needs to know how everything works and where it's located.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #18

THOR #5196
DocP, Did you call or email Thor about your drawings? If you have emailed then I would call, most people get their drawings the next day in a PDF.

I would call Thor and ask for tech help, while you have them on the phone ask where your cable hookup is while you are at your coach so you can verify the location. Hate to say this but you might not have one because they forgot to put it on. You probably checked, but on my friends coach it was in the power cord bay up high and near the back, easy to miss without a flashlight.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
DocP, Did you call or email Thor about your drawings? If you have emailed then I would call, most people get their drawings the next day in a PDF.

I would call Thor and ask for tech help, while you have them on the phone ask where your cable hookup is while you are at your coach so you can verify the location. Hate to say this but you might not have one because they forgot to put it on. You probably checked, but on my friends coach it was in the power cord bay up high and near the back, easy to miss without a flashlight.
Thanks for the suggestions! My attempts at contact have been through email (I recently completed radiation treatments for vocal cord cancer and currently cannot speak; otherwise I would have called). I may have to get someone else to call for me. With regard to the cable hookup, nothing surprises me any more, so it is possible that they forgot to put it in. Again, I'll try to get the information via phone while I'm at the coach. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #20

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
DocP, when I wanted my drawings and such from Thor I did it with a phone call. The customer service first had me email them proof that I was the owner of my coach. I think I had to email them my registration and/or insurance papers. After they confirmed I actually owned that VIN then they began emailing me everything I wanted.

I agree with SuperD, a initial phone call would be better to get things rolling.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote